Noob to FSJ here - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-09-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
usmc_mwroseberr

Noob to FSJ here

Hello gentlemen,

I am a noob to the FSJ. I had a 01 TJ that was lost because of divorce. Then an 02 Land Rover Discovery that I couldn't keep the engine together on. Now with a wife, small child, and my gun habit to feed I was looking for a firewood/winter truck. Stumbled upon a 77 Wagoneer with a 401 and quadratrac for $500.00 and jumped on it.

The guy didn't know what he was doing because the ride home the front shocks and swaybar were disconnected so it was interesting to say the least and the vacume advance was not hooked up from the distributer. It's only got 88k miles on it but it's been sitting and rust has claimed her. So I have major rust repair to do.

So far I've got cheap shocks, sway bar bushings, steering stabolizer bar, plugs, wires, headlights. Carb is being cleaned and rebuilt as we speak. Someone put 4" blocks in the back probably because the rear shocks look so worn they probably needed them to keep the rear tires from rubbing.

So my current wish list is:
Rough country lift kit with front and rear springs
Bushwacker flares
33" rubber
replace rocker panels with 4"x6" square tube steel for replacement rockers/frame sliders

Is this a good direction to go or do you guys have other recommendations. Also what are problems I need to look for?

And finally what should I do about my half way up back glass?

Thanks,
Merritt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-09-2010, 10:47 PM
CutterN55
1986 CJ7 

Get aquainted with IFSJA.org. Many of your questions have been covered A LOT. You'll find some good info in the Tech library. The Bush Whackers may look funny w/ 33's. I've already been talked out of them. I'm going with some welded on wide trac flares one of these days.
Might want to go Spring Over Axle instead of a 4". I have a 6" and wish I had done it. A 4" will have your tires up in the fenders quite a bit unless you chop 'em, and SOA will give more height and flex. Will probably cost less than buying a lift kit. The glass will require an afternoon by yourself with a half case of motivation. It's a pain. Probably off the lifter now and is jammed(?). Can you pull it up or push it down by grabbing the glass?

Tube sliders should be cool. Lucky dog...401 Waggy for $500.00 Why can't I ever score like that??

Semper Fi!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

86 CJ7 258/Np435/D300/Waggy D44's
post #3 of 5 Old 04-10-2010, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
usmc_mwroseberr

I don't need a serious lift. And one reason I'm looking at a lift kit is my springs are DONE. The rears arch the wrong way because the 4" blocks have jacked them up over the years. I'll check the other site out. Also what are the reviews on the rough country 3" lift. I just want something to replace my springs and give me extra clearance so I can run some 32s or 33s. And I have no problem cutting my fenders as that's where most of my rust is.

Thanks for the info I'll check out the site.

Semper Fi,
Merritt

post #4 of 5 Old 04-10-2010, 09:49 AM
CutterN55
1986 CJ7 

with a N/T waggy 33's will rub when flexed even with my 6". You'll have to chop fenders. I have taken down the corners on mine and it helps. 3" with no fenders should be good to go, you may even be able to get 35's in there and wheel it.

Semper Fi!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

86 CJ7 258/Np435/D300/Waggy D44's
post #5 of 5 Old 04-10-2010, 10:43 PM
GCX2450
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

If you just want it up or down remove the carpet on the tailgate. This will get you at the access panel, which you will remove also. Next gently push, pull or pry the window to wherever you need it. It's a pain with the tailgate up, but it's managable. If you have to do this more than once it will convince you to fix your window.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.