Niggles after engine rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Niggles after engine rebuild

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 06-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
paulbone
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Niggles after engine rebuild

Hi guys, thank you all for past in put.

Now I have a few more questions, if you can help.

I'v have enow rebulit the 360 and installed it back in the Jeep. All standard spec apart from Edelbrock manifold and carb. I also added Mallory HEI.

Marked everything up at TDC and fisrt turn of the key I get a backfire from the carb, dang 180 out! For some reason the rotor now points at number 6 for TDC.
So I just move the wires around. Next turn of the key, wham! she starts right away.

Now for the problems, I just can't get her to idle at low revs, she's sitting there at about 2000rpm and as soon as I hook up the vacuum she leaps to about 3500rpm.

To get the revs at anywhere near an idle I have to retard the ignition way back off the scale,

Right, says me after 2 days of fiddling, I still need to test the rest of the motor, leaks, temperture, coolant etc.

So I put the Duraspark stuff back on. Exactly the same issues. Doh!

Does anyone know what the idle should be with an Auto in Park?
I know it is supposed be 700rpm in D, but I can't get anywhere near that without a massive amount of retard. And then when I shut her off she runs on for a second or so and sometimes gives a little backfire. Also when I pulled Number one plug to check TDC, the piston looked 'wet' like there was some unburnt fuel.

Any ideas would be really appreciated. Its driving me nuts.

Oh the tranny fluid is low, just doing as filter tomorrow, would that have any effect?

Also here in Vegas it is already 110, so the car gets super hot sitting in the garage in about 10 minutes and takes forever to cool down so I can't touch anything to continue tinkering!

paulbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 02:49 AM   #2
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

I'd check the carb to make sure the butterfly is closing. It won't run in that rpm range without air and fuel. Could be tight throttle linkage, or choke stepper.
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

What are you using as your number 1 ?
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle
what are you using as your number 1 ?
x2
Unread 06-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Something is stuck open for it to run at 2k. Like Rock said above it must have both fuel and air to run and at that speed. Pull the air cleaner off and look down all 4 barrels and make certain they arent hung open. You might want to pull the carb off and check so if a foreign object is stuck in the carb throat it does not dislodge and end up inside the engine. Plugs will be wet with fuel because your turning off the igntion at 2000+ rpm and with a carb as long as its spinning the engine is going to draw fuel into the cylinders (injectors shut off with the key) so the fuel puddles in the cylinders and runners since there is no spark to burn it.
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbone View Post
For some reason the rotor now points at number 6 for TDC.
It points at #6 because when you installed it the rotor wasn't close enough to #1 so that it points at #1 as it was dropped in.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
paulbone
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all your input.

I am getting closer now.

I checked tyhe carb and everything moved freely, no binding anywhere (brand new out of the box carb). Set the mixture at 1 full turn out 360 degress and fast idle screw out and choke off (100 + degrees out here so no need for choke just now).

Then I pulled the distrubutor, move the gear 180 and rotated the shaft to find TDC again.

This time things are alot better, though she seems to idle better at TDC and feels a little fast at 5-7 degrees BTC.

What should the RPM be in Park/Neutral?

I can't get drive at the mo, as I just descovered vacuum problems with the QT - seperate thread for that one in mo.

So I think i'm there, just to me I feel idle is a little high, or are these suposed to run a little high, it did before the rebuild. I am more used to Mopar, so still learing AMC.
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

I think it should be about 900 in park, 750 drive. It'll sound high. Put it in drive with the ebrake, set it, put it in park and check.

With the HEI, i'd run a 40-45 gap on the plugs, and 10-12 degrees timing. The 4-8 timing mark is good for the stock ignitions, but that hei is putting out WAY more spark.
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
paulbone
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Thank you pleontks, that'll be tomorrows job
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

I agree on the additional initial timing with or without an HEI. I don't grasp the HEI extra spark comment for additional timing but certainly you want more gap to take advantage of the extra spark.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.