New Member - Should I Get 1982 Wagoneer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > New Member - Should I Get 1982 Wagoneer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
IdahoMark

New Member - Should I Get 1982 Wagoneer

My brother in law recently put his 1982 Wagoneer up for sale, but he offered to give it to me for next to nothing, if I'll just take it off his property for winter! I have the space for it at my house, but I'm afraid I'll be biting off more than I can chew!

It seems to be in great shape. It stalled a bit yesterday after sitting in the cold all day (About 5 - 10 degrees out), but once it was going it was like a tank! The only issues I can see are a possible starter replacement and the heater blower doesn't work. I have no expereince fixing cars, but really would like to start. I have a great friend down the street who would have all the tools I would need to start on some minor fixes.

So, my questions are:
1. Can I replace the blower/fan myself with limited help from a manual and some of you guys?
2. Do these trucks have a history of problems I should be worried about?

Thanks for all your help in advance! I hope this turns out well, because this would make for the ULTIMATE fishing and ski vehicle!

IdahoMark

IdahoMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
zach3713

I say go for it. You'll learn as you go, and it can be a project. You can work at your own pace to get it to a point that you want. I don't know anything about the history of them, but you should be able to tackle minor to moderate fixes...GOOD LUCK!
zach3713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
fasteddieofgalt

I would definitely take that jeep. I have an '82 Cherokee which as far as I can see is identical to a Wagoneer. The Blower motor is under the dash. If you remove the glove box and look down you will see it, should be pretty easy to get out. I would recommend getting a good shop manual though. Try Books4cars out of Seattle, I got a manual from them for about $75.00, and it was just what I needed. As for parts, BJ's Off-Road for new and J&W auto wreckers for used, aare both good sources. Good Luck.

Fasteddie
fasteddieofgalt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
Grumpyoldman

I too own an 82 wagoneer . Depending on what drive train you have there could be some issues .

Namely the transfer case . If the truck has the full time 4x4 that t case was not too good , they ran a viscous disc which failed .

If it is the part time system that would be best . There were motor options from the 258 up to the 360 V8 but both are reliable power plants . 44 front and amc 20 rear i think should be in it , both good units .

Im not a top notch wagoneer knowledge but im pretty sure that info is correct .
Grumpyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2008, 09:33 AM   #5
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

The heater blower can be accessed under the hood, it is bolted with 4 or 6 bolts onto the heater core box, really, really simple to get to.

If you have a blower under the dash, that would ONLY be for A/C and it would be connected to all of the A/C ducting that is under the dash as well.
Unread 12-18-2008, 08:44 PM   #6
DukeJeep
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

If your here, I think you already bought it mentally! I'd say go for it, Jeeps like these need good homes.

The blower isnt too bad of a job, just have a little patience and watch the Jeep grow on you.
DukeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.