New member seeking expert restoration info - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 02-18-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Mister_Cee

New member seeking expert restoration info

Firstly, the vehicle belongs to my mother and is currently garaged in a state where neither of us is at the moment. As such, I don't have access to the V.I.N.

While she was (and still is at this moment) out of state, where the car is garaged, her house (including the garage) was burgled. The only things stolen/damaged on the vehicle (a 1989 Jeep Wagoneer Limited) were the wheels and tires (all stolen), a wing window, (broken to gain access to the hood latch mechanism, the battery (stolen) and the battery cables cut.

When I travel to the state where the Jeep is garaged, I'm going to have the wing window replaced, new battery cables and a new battery installed, replace the the wheels to OEM specs and (of course) re-tire the vehicle. Additionally, the last time I was in the Jeep I noticed that the headliner sags a bit. I'll have that redone, too.

Unfortunately, none of the few photos that I CAN find of Wagoneer Limiteds shows a good shot of the wheels. The wheels that some sites "claim" were the OEM wheels are the ALY1512 that look to be 5 spoke with one of the spokes having a Jeep inset. BUT, that detail isn't evident in the pictures I see. Which would have been the OEM wheels/rims on that vehicle? Is there, possibly, an identical wheel/rim without the Jeep impressed into one of the spokes because that's what the few photos "seem" to show.

Is there a particular vendor (maybe telling me that on the forum is against the rules ..sorry if I'm asking an improper question, here) where I could source the proper wheels ...one where the wheels are reconditioned to look as new (like they did on my mom's Jeep before they were stolen)?

The vehicle has 120k (approx) on the odometer (I'm estimating 60k of which were miles accumulated while behind towed behind an RV) and has all the "bells and whistles" that came on a Limited (plus a tow bar and a hitch). I've spoken to someone here, in the past, who indicated to me that the vehicle is a classic and its ultimate value would depend on things such as rust, body damage etc.

It never "lived" in a state where salt was used on road and has never been in a fender bender of any kind. So, with the exception of a Wagoneer Limited emblem which fell off (mom still has the emblem) I'd say the vehicle (especially once I fix what the burglars took) would be in very good to excellent condition.

Also, while I'm here...how (relatively) rare a vehicle is this? I've not been able to find a forum or sub forum anywhere that is Wagoneer Limited specific unless it is lumped in under a body/frame letter designation of which I'm not familiar.

Any information I can collect will help me have this Jeep restored properly.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice you may have to offer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-18-2017, 08:53 PM
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Are you trying to fix it back up for yourself or your Mother ?
post #3 of 20 Old 02-18-2017, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Mister_Cee

Thanks for the response

Since it is titled in her name, I suppose that "technically" I'd be fixing it up for her, no matter what the eventual disposition is.

When my father was alive it served (as I mentioned,. previously) as a tow car behind an RV and as a second vehicle for my folks when they were in the house where it is currently garaged. When they flew to their home, in another state, they used the car that's garaged there.

She is selling the house where it is now garaged. Since she can only drive one car at a time (and I'm pretty sure she'd opt for the other vehicle, a Cadillac, if she was to choose between the two) she'll want to be divesting herself , somehow, of the Jeep.

I can "guestimate" the cost to return it to pre burglary shape and I've been told (although not by afficionodos such as the members here) that it would bring many times the repairs cost. If that is correct, just on principle alone. I wouldn't want her to let it go for less than its current (restored) value.

Since I have no idea whether the information I was given is accurate, I came here to ask you folks who know these vehicles best.

Thanks again

post #4 of 20 Old 02-19-2017, 07:58 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
moved from general discussion area

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-19-2017, 08:11 AM
PlainoldCheroke
1995 XJ Cherokee 

First of all - 1989 Wagoneer Limited are not all that rare, but still they are a unique and great model that evolved into one of the longest running truly successful American made Jeeps. There are plenty of wheels in the same bolt pattern ( up to 1999-2000) when the bolt pattern changed. I've bought aluminum and steel wheels at junk yards for $10-50 a piece. I suggest putting on any functional wheels you can fine with tires that hold air, then with the new battery, make sure it starts and runs OK. You can post photos in the Classifieds on this forum to test interest and price. Someone out there may view it as a collector car, but others may just want to run it as they were reliable and fun 4 WD cars. I am not seeing if this one is a V-8 or 6 cylinder. Photos are the best way to test interest in your car, and don't feel you have to make it perfectly original in order to sell it. Hope this helps

1995 Cherokee 4.0 with no power options.;
2011 GC Overland Hemi
post #6 of 20 Old 02-19-2017, 08:28 AM
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've gotta agree, as much as you or your mom may love it, there's nothing all that unique or rare about it. Finding some functional rims and tires will be more then sufficient. Get it up and driving then you can decide how far your willing to go with it

It Wouldn't Be A Project If Everything Worked Right.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-19-2017, 09:17 AM
PlainoldCheroke
1995 XJ Cherokee 

We have a set of aluminum rims that would work on this. Please send pics when you can, and send PM if you want to discuss value and best possible sale of this 1989 Limited. not clear on the location but it sounds like SW USA.

2011 GC Overland Hemi
post #8 of 20 Old 02-19-2017, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Mister_Cee

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.

To be clear, the vehicle ran just fine when I was where it got the wheels stolen, last summer. I don't think my mom has any sentimental attachment to it, nor do I (although my son had expressed interest because he just wrecked his Jeep and because this one it had been his grandfather's).

Since the figures I find for resale are all over the map,

(NADA Classic Car Prices sayslow/avg/high) $5875/$11.400/$19,900
Other sites say $2500
Most sites don't even list Wagoneer Limited as a separate model)

the simplest thing to do would be to hand the keys to the insurance company. But I'm guessing that it would NET more (even figuring in repairs) than merely accepting what the insurance adjuster offered.

I'm probably jaded but it only seems good business for an adjustor (who is employed by an insurance company) to be a "good employee" and try to settle claims as beneficially to his employer (read: less $$$ paid out) as he can manage.

At any rate, the house doesn't close until mid April and I won't be up there until a few weeks prior.

Still, it would be nice to know, in advance, if an adjuster was trying to "lowball" mom when he decides what the Jeep is worth to his company.

Thanks again
post #9 of 20 Old 02-19-2017, 10:59 PM
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Buy it from your Mother for more than the insurance company offers .

Put bigger tires on it and a BB and then give it to your son or sell it to him outright or with monthly payments .

Or let your son build it .

Easy peasy ?
post #10 of 20 Old 02-20-2017, 07:23 AM
PlainoldCheroke
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Oh, so in addition to dealing with low-ball insurance adjusters, you also have a property sale to deal with ? I would get the junk yard wheels and tires on it so that it can be driven. Then post in this forum in classified section if you really want to test what it's worth. Otherwise, I agree with Phitmein about making it work for your son. IT may use a bit more gas than a Kia, but your son should be well served to have another Jeep and not wreck this one !! Good luck and let us know if you need further help from Forum members

2011 GC Overland Hemi
post #11 of 20 Old 02-20-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Mister_Cee

As I learn more, I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the sound advice.
post #12 of 20 Old 02-20-2017, 08:22 PM
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Have you looked under it to see if they stole the cat. conv. too ?

I have had mine stolen out of my yard and I have no neighbors for a half of mile or more in any direction .
post #13 of 20 Old 02-21-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Mister_Cee

I'm 1500 miles away, right now, so haven't had a chance to see more than the pictures taken by the real estate guy who is selling the house for mom.

I did, initially, wonder about the CC as I'm sure whoever stole the wheels/battery are out for a quick buck to score something or another. I've researched a little and most reputable places I've found (I know..the disreputable places don't advertise lol) that would take a CC for the platinum content, require a bunch of CATs or a lot of catalyst instead of buying them one at a time. I'll be sure to take a look as soon as I get there in a month.

It's a crying shame that there are people out there that have no respect for private property. I hope their ticket into Hades is pre-punched so they don't even get an opportunity much as make up some lame excuse for their actions.

Thanks for reminding me to put that on my "to do" list.
post #14 of 20 Old 04-11-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Mister_Cee

UPDATE:

1989 Wagoneer Limited
4.0L engine
Automatic
2/4WD
Tow bar equipped
Hitch equipped

I got to the location where the Jeep was garaged. As I mentioned before, burglars had:
1)Stripped the tires and wheels
2) Broken a vent window to gain access to hood latch
3) Cut battery cables
4) Stolen battery

Had all these repaired (pick-n-pull vent window, 4 new tires and rims..albeit not rims that duplicated the ones that were stolen), new battery, new positive and negative ends on the battery cables.

Drove it back from the shop and drives just fine.

Can't post pictures as I haven't the access (no premium membership) but do have the VIN, if anyone is curious ... 1J4FN78L5KL412400.

I get widely varying estimates on street value so I'm advising my mother (owner of the vehicle) NOT to sell until we can get a consensus. However, the house where it is garaged is tentatively sold with a closing date of April 19th and it must be gone (sold, consigned or moved to another location) by that time.

P.S. I looked and, thankfully, the catalytic converter wasn't taken

P.P.S My mother is sitting here as I type this and told me to tell you that she's "old old" (her words lol) and could use some advice.
post #15 of 20 Old 04-12-2017, 07:01 PM
CSP

This is a little Wagoneer, based off of the XJ Cherokee. This particular forum is dedicated to the fullsize Wagoneers, so we've all been assuming that's what it was and the forum admin moved this thread to the wrong place. You'd be well served asking this in the XJ Cherokee forum.

What you have:

Fullsize Wagoneer (Grand Wagoneer in 1989 actually)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.