New to me 77 Cherokee Chief - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > New to me 77 Cherokee Chief

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #76
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Cool! Really an old smoky! We have a Willys with an sbc in it , it smoke worse than that and every time we was done driving it we would flood it out with ATF ( be carful not to hydro lock ) till it would die, and we dumped a ton load of oil in the gas and sprayed wd40 or zep 45 is what we used in each sparkplug hole, she does never smoke now! Do that and it will work, the killing it with ATF seemed to work the best along with ATF in the gas, thanks! You can see my YouTube channel to see my 1982 chief

YouTube user name is 1997cr80r

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum

jeepdj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #77
vagov
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagov View Post
my bad, come to think of it the color was a sky blue up top with a black rocker panel paint scheme. i dont think it was factory, bought it off my uncle who probally repainted it at one time. when i get home tonight may try finding a old photo in the archives somewhere will post if i do
found some old photographs of my cherokee back in the early 80,s
vagov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #78
vagov
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagov View Post
found some old photographs of my cherokee back in the early 80,s
vagov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #79
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Congrads on getting it running! That's gotta feel good after having it sat for 10 years.

If we do ever end up wheel'n together... you can be last truck (until you get that smokey thing fixed). Did you end up putting MMO in it? That might explain some of it.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #80
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Got the new volt reg, gonna go toss it on now. Checked the oil yesterday, blacker than coal, so I'm gonna change it and toss in the Marvels.

Never heard of putting ATF in the gas or the engine. Someone feel lilke explainin that one?

The back window is down, and one of the clips is off the arm. The switch will only make it go down a c/h. I'll check the whatever it is at the back, and I guess I'll pull out the switch and clean it, but how can I get that window up enough to work on? I also have no door key. I parked it so the rain comes right in that back window.
Unread 12-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #81
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Changed the oil and tossed in a bottle of Marvel's. Way less smoke. Drove her round the neghborhood. Had to put in another 3/4 gal of tranny fluid, and still need at least another 1/2 gal.
Got the rear window to come out while the gate was open, so now I just need to grab a window clip and toss it on. She's coming together

Not sure if I want to cut out the headlight holes to fit the square headlights with the muscle grill, or if I wanna put the Rhino on. Either way, I need to get a hood release on it, so that's tomorrow.
Unread 12-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #82
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

I just went through the back window issue. The window would roll down about 4 inches and the get stuck or if I managed to get it down it would roll up. The channel the window sits in was rusted out and look terrible. It split so badly that the assembly was catching on the rear tailgate release arm and not allowing it to go down. You may have to do the same. As far as bringing the window back up you will need to have someone flip the switch up while you gently pull up on the window. Mine would go up until it would catch on the gate release arm. At this point I had to go in the truck and pull at the upper edge of the opening of the tailgate panel to give the rusted frame enough room to let it go up. For reference. Remove the rear tail gate panel. Sit in the truck Indian style facing the rear gate. Grab the actual gate in the middle of the opening and pull towards you. Have someone push the switch to get the window up. Watch your fingers. Replacing the channel wasn't terribly hard. Just have to be careful so nothing breaks. Good luck
Unread 12-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #83
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Got the rear window all workin. Need some new weatherstrip back there, and the front switch sticks. Gonna try to take out the switch and surgery it.

Put the Rhino grill on today. All that's left is the headlights.

Everything's comin together. Still have no actual plan, but that's for later.

Will do a pic of the grill later
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #84
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

I checked the rear axle tag. Says 3.54 46 12
Now, my calculator tells me 46/12 = 3.83 not 3.54
wth?
Unread 01-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #85
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Flushed out the radiator and cooling/heating system. Was crazy clean. Antifreeze was green, no rust, no crap.

Pulled off rear diff cover. Someone had been in there before. RTV gasket, and fluid had some thicker fluid in the bottom. Cleaned it out, then cold spell hit, and have been spending daylight to dark fixing pipes and stuff at work.

Pictures soon?
Unread 01-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #86
Jeeper4life88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

nice jeep!

2004 Jeep Liberty- BFG A/T's and some skid's and tow hooks, otherwise pretty much stock.
Jeeper4life88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #87
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

got rear axle filled back up and cover on.

Pulled off front diff cover. Looks all good. Top bolts were barelyyhand-tight, and bottom bolts needed the breaker bar.

lower radiator hose keepes leaking at the radiator. Have another hose I'll toss on and try.
img_1738-640x480-.jpg   img_1739-640x480-.jpg  
Unread 01-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #88
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

had a leaky radiator, not a leaky hose. Soldered it up and it appears to be holding.

Front axle is now cleaned and refluided. All looked good. Tag said 3.54 46 13

Filled up reduction unit with some homemade q-trac fluid. When I get around to ordering the right stuff from bj's, I'll drain out the crap that's in there.

Drained the brakes. The d side caliper is not letting fluid through, so I'll take that off and apart and see if I can fix it. If not, I'll go spend the 20 bucks on a new one.

Still need to top off the tranny. Wanna drive it around a bit and stir up all the crap before changing the filter and putting good fluid in.
Unread 01-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #89
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

a word of caution: Keep a close eye on the radiator.

The radiator in my 87 looked solid, so when it developed a little pin hole leak, like you, I simply soldered it. The repair held, but a few days later, another leak appeared. I soldered the second leak, and wile pressure testing, another spot started to leak.
See a pattern here yet? After about two weeks of chasing the leaks around the radiator, I decided to just replace it and be done.
Unread 01-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #90
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy93 View Post
a word of caution: Keep a close eye on the radiator.

The radiator in my 87 looked solid, so when it developed a little pin hole leak, like you, I simply soldered it. The repair held, but a few days later, another leak appeared. I soldered the second leak, and wile pressure testing, another spot started to leak.
So, this is where I am now. Soldered once, didn't hold at all. Resoldered, poured in a gallon, left for a day, all was good. Poured in another gallon, leak's back. Very slow drip.

Trying to decide now if I wanna call a shop, put some stop leak in, or use my other radiator (which has a pinhole and needs stopleak). I don't even know if there's a radiator shop around here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.