New to me 77 Cherokee Chief - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > New to me 77 Cherokee Chief

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #61
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7SlotGrill

Forget the Cherokee, I would be working on the Willys behind it!! Lol

Keep it safe, Keep it fun, Keep it on the tires O|||||||O
Oh yah I'm also working on that it has a sbc in it! It is our yard truck for pulling stuff, but it's my dad's, the Cherokee will be my first ride! I'm 15 and trying to get it looking cool I'm going to lift it 4" and paint

jeepdj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #62
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

it already looks cool
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #63
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

So, I had decided to make my own engine wiring harness. Super easy. Only hard parts were getting the right colors (which I gave up on, just made a schematic with the new colors/gauges on it), and finding the 'packard 56' connectors for the bulkhead connector. Found them online for 50cents a piece with shipping. Bought them at NAPA for 69cents each. I upgraded all wires by one gauge, except for the 2 10g runs, cause 8g wire is HUGE. Wrapped it all up in loom. Looks boss. Pics this evening. Still need 1 yellow butt connector, and some goop for the bulkhead connector, and then to install it. Happy, but yet sad, because I know I will have to do this for all my vehicles now.

All that leaves until I can drive it is checking the fluids, switching ignition down to points (too many wires for the duraspark right now. Will see how points do), finish installing the grill, fixing a battery (new project I'm anxious to try), and get some tires.

To those who have the gladiator grill on something that came with square headlights......was there any trouble with the headlight rings covering the holes?
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #64
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7SlotGrill

Forget the Cherokee, I would be working on the Willys behind it!! Lol

Keep it safe, Keep it fun, Keep it on the tires O|||||||O
If you want to see the Willys runnin see my YouTube channel! It's 1997cr80r

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum
Unread 12-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #65
vagov
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleontks View Post
more..
that a flash from the past for me! i had a 75 cherokee blue and white with a eagle decal on the hood back in the early 80.s i loved that , being my first jeep i had a push bar powder black mounted on the front with 2 sets of square off road and fog lights also. paid 400 bucks for it back then for it, the only bad spot was tailgate just never opened it to avoid it falling off i enjoyed looking at those pics, sure brings back old memories
vagov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #66
vagov
2004 WJ 

my bad, come to think of it the color was a sky blue up top with a black rocker panel paint scheme. i dont think it was factory, bought it off my uncle who probally repainted it at one time. when i get home tonight may try finding a old photo in the archives somewhere will post if i do
vagov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #67
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

here's the new harnes pre-install. gonna go toss it in and then get a battery workin for it.
img_1391-640x480-.jpg  
Unread 12-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #68
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Decided to go with a 'stealth hei' setup I had laying around. Replaced all the wires (it's so nice having new wire and not using random pieces of old stuff spliced together). Went with the hei because I no longer have the cap for the points distributor. Got air in 2 flat tires, tossed them on, rounded it off with the spare from Apricot. Waiting for battery to charge and the plan is to drive it tomorrow.
Fixing the battery seems to be working so far, but this charger I have SUCKS!

Gonna get her up on the cement and go through the rest of the fluids, and grease everything. Still need to fix rear window. All it needs is one of those little round clips, but that I can grab off the parts j10.

Very excited. This is the third broken cherokee chief I've bought, and first one I've resurrected.
Unread 12-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #69
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

I just drove it video to come...
Unread 12-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #70
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Cool!!!! Ill be watching!

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum
Unread 12-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #71
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

no vid up yet.

So, my motorcraft voltage regulator is bad. As is my spare motorcraft voltage regulator. Gonna open one of them up tonight and see if it can't be repaired. Not running her til I get that fixed, since it boils the battery I just fixed.

She smokes a bunch, all white. I'm assuming that'll go away in a tank or two. May get some Marvels to toss in there. Jeep has less than 110k.

Wiring harness is working good. I ran 2 extra wires, but no prob.
Unread 12-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #72
240impala
2003 WJ 

You could swap an internally regulated gm alternator and ditch the motorcraft reg. if its been a while since she has ran I would pour some marvel in her and let it soak real good. I did not do that to mine and ended up bending a valve

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wj-slow-but-getting-there-1153271/[/url]

IRO 6.5" lift, IRO Front long arms, rear iro adj upper a arm and adj rear lower, custom 4x4 fab front bumper, rough country winch, 15" crager soft 8's, procomp 35-12.50 tire, fenders trimmed KOR light bar, malone roof rack
240impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #73
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240impala View Post
You could swap an internally regulated gm alternator and ditch the motorcraft reg. if its been a while since she has ran I would pour some marvel in her and let it soak real good. I did not do that to mine and ended up bending a valve
ill eventually swap to the SI, but the spare SI I have does not physically fit.

I opened one of the voltage regulators. Circuit board full of diodes and resistors and gnomes and stuff. Definetly way past me. Will open the other one to see, but will probably drop the 15 bucks on a new one today.

I'll toss some marvel in, run her for a minute or two, let her sit overnight, then drive. Sound good? Truck hadn't run for the 10 yrs the PO had it, and he got it from an estate sale.
Unread 12-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #74
240impala
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleontks

ill eventually swap to the SI, but the spare SI I have does not physically fit.

I opened one of the voltage regulators. Circuit board full of diodes and resistors and gnomes and stuff. Definetly way past me. Will open the other one to see, but will probably drop the 15 bucks on a new one today.

I'll toss some marvel in, run her for a minute or two, let her sit overnight, then drive. Sound good? Truck hadn't run for the 10 yrs the PO had it, and he got it from an estate sale.
I'd pour some in the oil maybe even pull the plugs pour some in the cylinder and If you really want to be sure pull the valve covers and pour some in the heads. Yeah mine had been sitting for awhile and I started driving it and it started skipping low and behold bent valve.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wj-slow-but-getting-there-1153271/[/url]

IRO 6.5" lift, IRO Front long arms, rear iro adj upper a arm and adj rear lower, custom 4x4 fab front bumper, rough country winch, 15" crager soft 8's, procomp 35-12.50 tire, fenders trimmed KOR light bar, malone roof rack
240impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #75
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Well, here it is...
And you even get a tour of my yard and projects

http://youtu.be/oZXn-OyGc-8

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.