New to me 77 Cherokee Chief - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > New to me 77 Cherokee Chief

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 09-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #31
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7SlotGrill View Post
the transmission is junk and not strong enough to stand up to a lot of off road abuse...blew mine up twice,
Lol, a GM Turbo400 is junk?

Wonder why they were in all kinds of 3/4 ton trucks up into the 80's.

Also must suck seeing as they are still used in HMMWV's

but back on topic, any pics of the new grille setup? What are you doing with the rhino?

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #32
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

will snag some pics of the new grill. looks like it used to before I samshed the other grill

Will probably be getting rid of the rhino. Will let you all know when I decide, but it'll include the bucket and trim, and the pieplates. I have to see if the muscle grill of the 81 j10 will fit the 77 chief.

Went and started on ignition. Found the parts. Gonna be stealth hei, e-core coil, motocraft dist (off of something?), stock cap (have large cap, but not another riser). Already has new plugs (PO), but gonna regap em at 45 and see how it goes.

However, I just cut all the wire out of the pass side engine bay, so will be having to pull harness from 81 j10 (hopefully it plugs in) which is surprisingly good, with only two bad wires. Has diferent alternator, but that'll be easy. Probably end up with that one on there anyways.

Love the turbo400. Had one in my 84 c20 longbed (which is what I traded for Aricot), thought I blew it, replaced it with a 350, definetly blew that one, put the 400 back in, good as new, er, old.
Unread 09-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #33
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

got the harness out of the j10. Sitting on the dining room table Gonna go through it all and make sure it's all good. Figure it's easier to do that inside the house rather than inside the jeep.

There's a couple differences I noticed, but hopefully, they won't be hard to deal with.

Got the muscle grill off the j10. Still gotta get the brackets off. Not too many, so I'm gonna do it. Also going to paint the plastic parts of it. Anyone recommend a good plastic paint? I'll probably get some rustoleum.

Will probably have to rewire the stealth HEI a bit, as I made it for my 76, which has the original harness (well, it had the original when I started, and I can't even remember all the things I've 'fixed') and to be mounted on pass wheelwell. Since this harness is for the duraspark, probably gonna mount stealth hei in same spot.

Once I get the grill on the chief, I'll post of pic of it and the chief's grill on Apricot. Can't get too far off topic or the moderators will get mad.
Unread 09-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #34
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Got the harness gone through. Washed my hands at least 20 times.

Gotta love the factory duct, I mean, electrical tape.

Wrapped the splices in new tape, fixed the breakes with heat shrink connectors. Need 18" more of the large wire loom, which is at my buddy's waiting for me, and 6" of fusible link wire, which is in my shed.

There's two things that have me stymied.
First, on the oil pump housing, is the regular one-wire sensor, but there is also a two wire plug-on sensor. What's this 2 wire sensor? It's not on any of my other FSJs I've had.
Secondly, there is SOMEthing in the fuel line immediately before the carb that has a power wire and a ground. Power wire for it appears to be factory and was in the loom, just like the factory did it. What's this? Again, never seen it on any of my other vehicles at all. Was thinking maybe pressure regulator because it's got the 2bbl?

No pictures because it's quite dark outside
Unread 09-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #35
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

so, one more question.....neutral safety switch.
The j10 has the 727, the chief has the 400.
That means I have an extra 4-wire plug that comes from harness right behind intake, goes to neutral safety switch. One of those wires comes back into harness and goes to the solenoid.
Would putting the 5-prong solenoid work? with a jumper on 2 of the wires at the plug
or should I just ground it at the plug?
I read one of carnuck's posts that said that shorting out the wire from the nss to the solenoid would work.
And what are those other 2 wires at the plug for? Back up lights?
Unread 09-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #36
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

The "two-wire sensor" could be a pressure switch. The later moddles have a pressure switch located there. It's supposed to cut the power to the electric choke when there is no oil pressure.
Unread 09-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #37
bullzeyee
1978 FSJ Cherokee 

silver cherokee

Well thanks for look at the silver Cherokee, your right looks great from the road! O well to bad.
bullzeyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #38
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

hello from AZ! I had an 81 waggy that I ran into the ground, I replaced it with a 82 cherokee. I used the drive train out of the waggy, it was in better shape and a part time np208.

Anyways. We have a local email list, if you PM me your email I will toss you on it and send it out to everyone. I am pretty sure someone around here probably has an extra back seat. There is also a dedicated full size jeep forum that includes a 'southwest' section. You can find out about trail rides and such there. www.ifsja.org
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #39
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

If I wanted to go talk to the asses at ifsja, I would be over there, not here. Quit trolling.

I get very tired of these people who's only comment is 'go to ifsja'
Can't we block them?
Unread 09-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #40
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

sorry dude. Didn't mean to step on ya.
I don't post 'go there' in every thread. In your case I thought it would be a good way to hook up with some other AZ folks. Guess not.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #41
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

ollie... I apologize. I should not do JF before my coffee. I'm a jerk at heart, and it comes out in the mornings. Hope no hard feelings. If you start looking around, you will see that a good number of people DO post 'go to ifsja' as their 'helpful' comment.

Now, back to the jeep

Got the 81 wiring harness in. Left the extra wires for NSS, just in case.
Decided it'd be easier to switch to delco alternator NOW rather than redo the wiring to work on the ford alt, only to switch them in a week or two.

Really hoping that engine is good.

Got muscle grill sitting on front of chief. Might look good. Have to cut out the headlight holes a bit to fit the square headlights.

Ran out of supplies for working on the gremlin, so it's Jeep workin on time
Unread 09-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #42
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Got jeep ready to fire. Gas tank is empty. Gonna toss some oil in the top since I didn't spin the oil pump. Ran out of light today.

Had to put original alt back in. Rigged it into new harness. Alt out of 81 was WAY to deep.

Pulled off and plugged a bunch of vacuum lines for the emissions.

Opened up the rear tailgate to look at the window. I'm missing one of the little 'c' or 'e' clips, whatever goes on there. Anyone know where I can get this? Or what size and type it is?
Unread 10-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #43
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Got her to run today (kinda). Had no gas hooked up, so it was starting fluid only.

Pulled AC off so I can see the timing marks.

Got a couple bolts to tighten, then I'll give her a cold time, and hook her up to a gas can to see if that fuel pump works.

Hopefully it will be soon! Got distracted putting up the climbing wall
Unread 10-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #44
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

She Runs!

Nothing is ran correctly, but the engine is good. Batt is dead, ignition has no power, gas comes from the can, but engine is solid! Now to tidy everything up, and move on to the rest of it. Expecting to change fluids and rubber. Gonna make a new engine wiring harness. Need to find some more tires.

http://youtu.be/W1S-NZpUKyE

76%
Unread 10-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #45
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleontks
She Runs!

Nothing is ran correctly, but the engine is good. Batt is dead, ignition has no power, gas comes from the can, but engine is solid! Now to tidy everything up, and move on to the rest of it. Expecting to change fluids and rubber. Gonna make a new engine wiring harness. Need to find some more tires.

http://youtu.be/W1S-NZpUKyE

76%
Cool video! Go to my Chanel to see my 82 Cherokee chief W/T, user name 1997cr80r
jeepdj5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.