New FSJ owner... - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > New FSJ owner...

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% off

Unread 12-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #61
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdj5 View Post
It's not at all hard to turn down the idle! It's a screw in the throttle area,

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum
understood it's not hard to adjust - just looking for frame of reference. Without a tach (or any other engine diagnostic tools yet), don't know if the fast idle is "normal" or not....

1987GW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #62
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987GW View Post
Hey Billy, saw on one of your posts, you've taken your GW down to the coast - OBX, or Carolina Beach? More imporantly, what speed did you cruise at to get down to the coast? Mine seems to keep up with traffic well, but not sure it should be going 70mph. Another thing, got mine tuned up by a local shop, but the idle seems really high (can roll through a parking lot @ 15-18mph without touching the gas). I'm going to install a tachometer, but wondering what your experience has been. Appreciate your thoughts!
Hey, funny thing about those beach pics! Those are the pics that the previous owner had posted on his Craig's List ad when selling the Jeep. I liked them so much I saved them! I have not had mine to the beach yet(considering taking it when we go out of town for Christmas), but I've drove it on the highway quite a bit. I just drive it the same as any of my newer vehicles... 65-75 mph. It actually has pretty good pick up and feels pretty solid. Mine coasts about 10-12 mph in the parking lot with out touching the gas, so yes, it does sound like your idle may be a little higher than mine. I have zero experience with carbed engines... so if mine starts running rough I'll be taking it to a pro like you did.
'94 Wrangler YJ [B][I][COLOR="Navy"]"Blue"[/COLOR][/I][/B]
billy_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #63
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_YJ View Post
so if mine starts running rough I'll be taking it to a pro like you did.
Just remember...the pro is the same guy that set the idle too high. Carbs are EASY to tune, WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS. Tach, vacuum gauge, timing light, screwdriver. Much harder without the tools, but can still be done by ear if you've got and old drunk guy down the street.
Unread 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #64
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Door lock springs & new keys!

WOODY UPDATE:

I only have an ignition key, so I have not locked my doors(on purpose) since getting the Jeep. Also, my drivers side door occasionally locks on its own, so I've made it a habit to always hit the unlock button on the way out before shutting it behind me.

I ordered the door lock springs & new lock cylinders w/ keys a while back and decided to tackle that project this afternoon.

BJ's has a pretty good set of instructions on their site w/ pictures of how to switch out the springs. The driver's side spring was broke, the passenger's side just wore out. I took the extra time and put my parts cleaner to good use. Lubed everything real good with "Tri Flow" and WOW what a difference. I did have one issue with the new lock cylinders... they were waaaay too long!?! By like 3-4 inches. I don't know what's up with that but I just measured the old ones to get the correct length and cut them to fit.

Everything went pretty smooth. I will not put the door panels back on until I detail them real good and I also have a door lock accuator on the passenger's side to replace. I'll knock out both the back door lock springs tomorrow.

It's SO NICE to have locking doors & keys again.
locks-springs-1.jpg   locks-springs-2.jpg   locks-springs-3.jpg   locks-springs-4.jpg   locks-springs-5.jpg  

locks-springs-6.jpg   locks-springs-7.jpg   locks-springs-8.jpg  
Unread 12-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #65
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleontks View Post
Just remember...the pro is the same guy that set the idle too high. Carbs are EASY to tune, WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS. Tach, vacuum gauge, timing light, screwdriver. Much harder without the tools, but can still be done by ear if you've got and old drunk guy down the street.
True! lol Now isn't there a machine to fine tune carbed engines at most shops? Also, I've heard that we should have it tuned every spring & fall... is that correct?
Unread 12-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #66
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

I've got the machine sittin right here. It's from 1982.
Gotta look at it from the shop's perspective. People that drive old cars usually have no money. People with no money don't go to the mechanics. They'll buy 7000 dollar computers to test fuel injection, but Bob is the only one that works on carbs, and he only comes in on tuesdays.

I check mine about once a year. Tune it when it needs it. Which surprisingly isn't often.

It's worth it to learn how to tune it yourself. Especially since it's a jeep, and may decide it wants to spend the night somewhere you don't.
Unread 12-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #67
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Door locks COMPLETE!

UPDATE:
So I replaced the door lock actuator on the front passenger side door this morning. After installing it, everything worked, but it would not throw the lock knob up high enough to unlock the door. It was trying but there was just too much resistance. This is after cleaning/lubricating everything of course. I took everything back out and noticed the door lock spring was a lot "stiffer" than the others. I also noticed that the new actuator was a lot "stiffer". So "stiff" in fact that I removed the door lock spring and the actuator is strong enough to hold the lock knob up with out having to worry about the dropping lock issue. I put everything back in minus the door lock spring and it works perfectly. All power locks work as they should!

I had to reattach a loose piece of wood trim on one of the door panels, then cleaned them up really good and put everything back together! DONE!

One another note: teamgrandwagoneer.com STILL has not shipped my carpet kit & new floor mats. They said there was a delay with the manufacturer. Come on with it baby! Daddy's ready to install!!!
door-lock-actuator.jpg   door-wood-trim-repair.jpg   need-more-space.jpg  
Unread 12-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #68
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

I belive if your going to drive these Jeeps around a basic knowledge of carburetors if a good idea. It might get you out of trouble. There are some great carb tuning write ups over at ifsja. They are not very complicated or magical
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #69
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Yeah... you are right! I should probably educate myself now while it's running smooth before I get stuck somewhere. Did you sign up at ifsja yet? Any probs posting?
Unread 12-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #70
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_YJ View Post
Yeah... you are right! I should probably educate myself now while it's running smooth before I get stuck somewhere. Did you sign up at ifsja yet? Any probs posting?
posting on ifsja doesn't seem to work for me either - sent admin an email - no response....
1987GW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #71
ewimsatt
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987GW View Post
posting on ifsja doesn't seem to work for me either - sent admin an email - no response....
I have the same problem. I registered a month ago and still cant post. Sent the admin an email too.
ewimsatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #72
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewimsatt

I have the same problem. I registered a month ago and still cant post. Sent the admin an email too.
Same problem here! Made one months ago and it says I don't have permission to post! So I said screw it! I like this forum!

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum
jeepdj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 04:57 AM   #73
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Yea. Ifsja is unfortunately a dying site. The "owner" of the site lost interest in it and will not let go of the domain. It took me a month to get permission to post, but I did browse a lot. You can search and save tech archives however. There are some great old school mechanics on that site
I jumped forums to fsj from the KJ side, and I also really like this site.
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #74
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Interior update:

FINALLY got the carpet kit & floor mats from teamgrandwagoneer.com!

Check out the new floor mat compared to the old one

I don't know why I was expected it to be that super plush shag type carpet that was originally in the Grand Wagoneers, but it's a nice thickness and I am satisfied.

I yanked all the seats and the remaining section of carpet(from where I had already started a while back). Everything came out pretty easy with the exception of a couple front seat belt bolts. Soaked them in some PB Blaster for a while then they came on out

It looks like my rear side panels have seen some moisture. They are still solid but I think I'll coat all those boards before installing the new carpet over them. Same for the tailgate panel as well. The metal strips in the cargo area will be reused with new stainless screws, after a good cleaning with a soap pad. Wife bought me a huge box of sos pads since I've been using up all of hers to bring this thing back to life

Also, I pulled the front door panels back off and decided to knock out the new stereo system while doing the carpet... it all kind of goes together, ya know? Running wires before laying new carpet would be easier.

I'm also going to wire wheel or bead blast and paint the seat and center console brackets and bolts. I'll be replacing at least the front seat belts(rears look pretty good).

The floors look really good! I'll probably coat them anyway before the new carpet goes in.
img_20121208_125433.jpg   5.jpg   1.jpg   4.jpg   2.jpg  

3.jpg   6.jpg  
Unread 12-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #75
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Cargo panels/Interior Update:

It was absolutely beautiful here today so I had to spend some time outside with my girls. We even grilled out... IN DECEMBER! Great day even though I didn't spend much time with "Woody"

Last night I removed what felt like thousands of staples to get the panel boards separated from the old carpet. I reinforced some of the softer pieces with masking tape and then hit all of them with some enamel real quick... just so they'd be some what water repellent, just in case. Once dry I started fitting the panels on the new carpet. Used some panel/foam adhesive and the ole staple gun to attach. It was quick and easy thanks to the near perfect cuts of carpet! GREAT KIT!

I also removed all 4 of the door to body seals in anticipation of replacing, but they are actually all pretty soft. I may just clean them up and treat them with some armor all and re use not sure yet.

Also I blew out and wiped down inside the entire Jeep. Next step is to prep & coat, then start installing stuff!
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.