New FSJ owner... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > New FSJ owner...

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 12-01-2012, 02:21 AM   #46
USAFfsj
1983 FSJ Cherokee 

Listen here, you gotta keep them floors solid. You're representing the full size jeeps now. especially the four doors haha. of course ask as many questions as you like. Welcome to FSJ territory.

USAFfsj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #47
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_YJ View Post
Awesome! That's good to know. I know I'll need a hand with the suspension lift coming up(hint hint)

So what are your plans for yours?
simple restoration of little things that are wrong or not working 100% - same stuff as everybody I think - headliner, tailgate window track problems, slow windows, locks, etc. it's going to nickel and dime me to death but it's sure fun to drive around.
img_1168.jpg  
1987GW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #48
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987GW

simple restoration of little things that are wrong or not working 100% - same stuff as everybody I think - headliner, tailgate window track problems, slow windows, locks, etc. it's going to nickel and dime me to death but it's sure fun to drive around.
Thanks for tossing a pic on my thread! I fixed my rear window yesterday I had to replace lifter channel and boy what a job that was!

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum
jeepdj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #49
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdj5 View Post
Thanks for tossing a pic on my thread! I fixed my rear window yesterday I had to replace lifter channel and boy what a job that was!

YOUR thread?! lol double check the first post
'94 Wrangler YJ [B][I][COLOR="Navy"]"Blue"[/COLOR][/I][/B]
billy_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #50
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987GW View Post
Paint looks really good man! I believe yours is the same color as mine... charcoal metallic w/ marine teak wood. Do you have tan interior?
Unread 12-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #51
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Update:

Brought in the wheels I plan to restore this winter. Tomorrow is nice & warm here so I think I'll take them to a tire shop and have the tires/weights removed, then start the cleaning/sanding process.

Although the correct wheels for my year are the ones with the gold paint(still on Woody), I have always preferred the ones used from 88-91. They should be easier to restore as well, since I do not have to worry about repainting the gold.
2.jpg   1.jpg  
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #52
prismfisher
1982 CJ8 

I will be interested in monitoring how the wheels go. I am looking at doing mine as well. If you don't mind, what is your plan of attack?
prismfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #53
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prismfisher View Post
I will be interested in monitoring how the wheels go. I am looking at doing mine as well. If you don't mind, what is your plan of attack?
Cool, I'll try to post step by step.

For mine, it looks like all the clear coat is already gone, so I will skip using the paint stripping products. From what I've read if you have any clear coat left it's way quicker to strip that with a chemical rather than spend all that extra effort sanding. After I remove the tires, I'll clean/degrease them really well. Then I'll start sanding to remove all the little dings and blemishes. One of them has some pretty bad curb rash, so I'll grind that down.

Once that's done... I don't know about clear coating them myself or having a pro do it. Some people just leave the aluminum wheels bare, but that requires a lot of maintenance, and I hate polishing! Last, but not least... new tires, center caps(that's going to suck at $125 each!), and then they'll look like they did in 1987

We'll see how it goes
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #54
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_YJ

Paint looks really good man! I believe yours is the same color as mine... charcoal metallic w/ marine teak wood. Do you have tan interior?
Burgundy interior for mine. Would probably prefer tan, but it is what it is. Paint is pretty solid, just needs a good polish. No plans to repaint anytime soon. There's one dent on the passenger side front qrtr panel, but it's behind the vinyl, so it's not noticeable. Will have it pulled out when I get around to replacing the vinyl. Will be interested to follow your wheel progress. Mine are in good shape, but could use a polish and clear coat. As I'm less concerned about appearance at this point, will just be focusing on the little things that I can do. Any big jobs I will most likely have done for me (rear springs, shocks, etc). Good luck with the wheels!
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #55
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

I bought a 91 myself recently and going through the same process as you. Will follow along as you seem to be one step ahead of me. Can you take a quick pic of the hood stops things you picked up. Mine doesnt have any and my hood tends to float a bit at highway speed. Thanks
Caesar
Unread 12-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #56
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Hood adjustment points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Green View Post
I bought a 91 myself recently and going through the same process as you. Will follow along as you seem to be one step ahead of me. Can you take a quick pic of the hood stops things you picked up. Mine doesnt have any and my hood tends to float a bit at highway speed. Thanks
Caesar
Awesome, final edition, huh?

Here's a couple pics of the hood bumpers, and adjustable spring catches. Both are adjustable so that you can get that hood nice and snug again. There's also a fender bumper on each side that just cushions the hood when it drops that is not adjustable.

I got the hood bumpers from BJ's for $10. I know Teamgrandwagonner has a "hood bumper kit". Don't forget to check your local auto parts store before paying these online boutiques their premium rates! lol
img_20121203_122632.jpg   img_20121203_122700.jpg  
Unread 12-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #57
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks. I work for pepboys at the corporate office so I will snag some here. Pics really help
Caesar
Unread 12-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #58
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Green View Post
Thanks. I work for pepboys at the corporate office so I will snag some here. Pics really help
Caesar
I agree! I'm def a visual learner
Unread 12-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #59
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Hey Billy, saw on one of your posts, you've taken your GW down to the coast - OBX, or Carolina Beach? More imporantly, what speed did you cruise at to get down to the coast? Mine seems to keep up with traffic well, but not sure it should be going 70mph. Another thing, got mine tuned up by a local shop, but the idle seems really high (can roll through a parking lot @ 15-18mph without touching the gas). I'm going to install a tachometer, but wondering what your experience has been. Appreciate your thoughts!
Unread 12-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #60
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987GW
Hey Billy, saw on one of your posts, you've taken your GW down to the coast - OBX, or Carolina Beach? More imporantly, what speed did you cruise at to get down to the coast? Mine seems to keep up with traffic well, but not sure it should be going 70mph. Another thing, got mine tuned up by a local shop, but the idle seems really high (can roll through a parking lot @ 15-18mph without touching the gas). I'm going to install a tachometer, but wondering what your experience has been. Appreciate your thoughts!
It's not at all hard to turn down the idle! It's a screw in the throttle area,

jeepdj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.