New FSJ owner... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > New FSJ owner...

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 11-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #16
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Bouncing Speedometer UPDATE:

So after replacing both cables, I decided to test the gauge itself. I removed the speedometer/odometer from the gauge cluster to test it. I hooked one end of a speedometer cable to my cordless drill and the other to the gauge. Wouldn't you know it... the needle sticks and bounces all over, just like when I'm driving.

Since the speedometer/odometer are one unit I can't get a new replacement, but there are some used ones on ebay. I'll have to think about this one... Does the bouncing needle bother me that much???

img_20121117_201742.jpg   img_20121117_201827.jpg  
'94 Wrangler YJ [B][I][COLOR="Navy"]"Blue"[/COLOR][/I][/B]
billy_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #17
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

yes, it does. mine drives me crazy. your cluster's already apart. put a good one in.
Unread 11-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #18
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Im not sure if it would be legal, but couldnt you get a new oneud and somehow change it to your current milage? I miss my 88 Waggy. Yours iss in great shape. Mine looked just like it.

1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 Longbed - POS
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #19
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Fresh air vent repair/cleaning:

Fresh air vent repair/cleaning:

So the drivers side fresh air vent handle barely moves when I pull it. I peaked in the air vent with a flash light and saw what appeared to be a "bird's nest". I had to remove the parking brake assembly to access the vent screws, but it had to be cleaned out. Turns out the cowl vent where the wipers are, tends to collect mess and when it rains it just washes it down into this "compartment". Once the vent cover was off I took the vent/flapper out and cleaned it up. The cable that opens that vent was very rough. I removed the cable, cleaned it, lubed it and now it works like a charm!

On to the passenger side... Now this fresh air vent works just fine, but I know after filling a bucket from 25 years of leaves and pine needles on the driver's side, I knew the other side needed to be cleaned out. Boy was this a job! I had to disconnect the air unit and lower it to reach the upper vent screws. Once I did that I went on a cleaning frenzy! lol I removed all my AC vents, cleaned those and inside the unit as well. Then I finally got that vent cable out, cleaned it, lubed it, removed the mess from that "compartment" and replaced everything. GOOD TIMES!
img_20121118_012513.jpg   img_20121118_170556.jpg   img_20121118_012413.jpg   img_20121118_012500.jpg  
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #20
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

I ended up purchasing a gauge cluster from ebay. It's from a '90 Grand Wagoneer and the mileage reads 109K. Picked it up for $50. I am a little unsure about the swap, but I plan to document everything, as well as, save my old speedometer/odometer. I do not plan to ever sell it, but if I do I will have everything to show why it was done, so that there are no issues.
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #21
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

shouldn't be a problem. Whe the title is switched, all they ask me is if it's the actual miles on the odometer. I tell them no. They mark the appropriate box.
Unread 11-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #22
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Cool, good to know.
Unread 11-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #23
Saul32
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Nice Wagoneer bud... and welcome to JeepForum
Unread 11-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #24
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul32 View Post
Nice Wagoneer bud... and welcome to JeepForum
Thanks man! Also, glad to see you didn't sell yours!
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #25
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Next on the agenda:

So, while I'm waiting for the new speedometer/odometer to come in I decided to go ahead and dive into the interior. I just ordered a carpet kit and OEM floor mats from teamgrandwagoneer.com, then kick panels, door lock cylinders, and door lock springs from BJ's.

I started removing door scuff guards and carpet. The aluminum scuff guards cleaned up nice, so I'm actually keeping those, just using new stainless screws when I re install.

Once all the carpet and seats are out I want to coat the floor with something and then start taking each door apart to replace springs, lock cylinders(front only of course), clean & lube everything, then reassemble.

When I did all this to my YJ the hardest part was having to park it for a while! I've only had this thing a few weeks & I still WANT TO DRIVE IT!
img_20121119_212318.jpg   img_20121119_212356.jpg   img_20121119_212412.jpg  
Unread 11-20-2012, 06:14 AM   #26
luckywagoneer
olllllllo

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

I'm in the same boat lol just dig in looking good for sure are you planing on new carpet? Mines clean but old just wondering if you have checked out prices?
luckywagoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #27
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckywagoneer View Post
I'm in the same boat lol just dig in looking good for sure are you planing on new carpet? Mines clean but old just wondering if you have checked out prices?
The carpet kit was like $315 and the OEM floor mats were $75.

They also have the replacement rear panels with and without carpet on them, but thankfully mine are in good enough shape to keep.
Unread 11-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #28
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Drivers Vent window latch repair:

My drivers side vent window latch works about 50% of the time... if I'm patient. The passengers side works just fine(probably because it was used way less over time).

Initially my thoughts were to just replace both latches. So... the drivers side latch is no longer available at the dealer and/or teamgrandwagoneer.com and the passengers side latch is ONLY available at teamgrandwagoneer.com for OVER $70!!!

Let's see if it's "fixable"... It feels like there is a "sweet spot" for it to work. I usually have to wiggle the latch back & forth while pressing the release button and then EVENTUALLY it opens. I noticed what looks like a "roll pin" holding the latch on so I punched it out with a pick, pulled the latch to see what's up... Turns out the spring was just wore. I just stretched it out a bit with some pliers, cleaned, and re installed. I took the extra time to clean the latch with an sos pad and it shined up like new! Works perfectly now
img_20121121_165819.jpg   img_20121121_165953.jpg  
Unread 11-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #29
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_YJ
My drivers side vent window latch works about 50% of the time... if I'm patient. The passengers side works just fine(probably because it was used way less over time).

Initially my thoughts were to just replace both latches. So... the drivers side latch is no longer available at the dealer and/or teamgrandwagoneer.com and the passengers side latch is ONLY available at teamgrandwagoneer.com for OVER $70!!!

Let's see if it's "fixable"... It feels like there is a "sweet spot" for it to work. I usually have to wiggle the latch back & forth while pressing the release button and then EVENTUALLY it opens. I noticed what looks like a "roll pin" holding the latch on so I punched it out with a pick, pulled the latch to see what's up... Turns out the spring was just wore. I just stretched it out a bit with some pliers, cleaned, and re installed. I took the extra time to clean the latch with an sos pad and it shined up like new! Works perfectly now
Mine is broken too ant these the same as a ford truck????
jeepdj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #30
billy_YJ
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Not sure, but I know they are very similar to the ones on my YJ. I would bet they are interchangeable. They've all got to be pretty close.

Is yours broke or does it just act up like mine was? If so, save some money and pop it off and stretch out that old spring

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.