JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Full Size Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/)
-   -   New FSJ owner... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/new-fsj-owner-1437411/)

billy_YJ 11-12-2012 03:46 PM

New FSJ owner...

2 Attachment(s)
Greetings JF! I'm over from another forum because it is for Wranglers only and I just purchased a 1987 Grand Wagoneer. I also have a '94 YJ which I LOVE!

I have been looking for almost a year and finally found the "right" one!

It's an '87 with 126K, GREAT body, GREAT interior(tan), Good wood, bad paint, and it needs tires. Also, the ac does not work and I need to replace a leaking fitting on the bottom of the radiator. This is the third one I've looked at and I am excited to finally have one. Only had to drive an hour to get it and I paid $3400.

So far I've only replaced the oil pressure sending unit, a couple bulbs, changed the oil, and reattached 2 loose door handles/arm rests.

My plans are to make it look as new as possible, keeping the factory look, and drive it!

I know I'll have tons of questions! :2thumbsup:

jeepdj5 11-12-2012 08:04 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Thank you for tacking care of an fsj! Here is my 1982 Cherokee chief W/T 258 i6, 208 transfer case, Chrysler 727, rear is AMC 20, front is Dana 30, no lift yet, I'm painting it soon ( it will be wight with that pickup truck bed liner rubber coating on the flares and lower trim, adding wagoneer slotted mags, ONCE AGAN THANKS FOR TACKING CARE OF AN FSJ!!!!

dedYJ 11-13-2012 09:15 AM

Congratulations on the new Jeep. I just got a 74 J10 in okay shape. I also have a 95 YJ that I have had for years. What we do if we didn't have Jeeps? Good luck!

olliehopnoodle 11-13-2012 04:39 PM

That's a great looking grand wagoneer. You have a great base for what you are looking to do.

billy_YJ 11-13-2012 07:53 PM

Nice Wagon jeepdj5!

billy_YJ 11-13-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle (Post 14450766)
That's a great looking grand wagoneer. You have a great base for what you are looking to do.

Yes, I feel like I picked a winner. I just wish I could afford to make a list and go to it... well, I've got the list made! lol I plan to post along the way and I want to have everything done in a year's time :)

jeepdj5 11-13-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy_yj
nice wagon jeepdj5!

thank you!!!

billy_YJ 11-15-2012 07:30 PM

Well, I'm 1 for 2 today on the repairs. I replaced the oil pressure gauge sending unit: gauge is accurate now. Next, on to the bouncing speedometer... a couple internet searches lead me to believe I should start with the lower speedometer cable. Took me about 5 minutes to switch out: still bounces! Next step is to replace the upper speedometer cable. I had trouble tracking one down from all my usual online part suppliers and local stores. Finally found one on Napa. I'll tackle that this weekend along with a leaking fitting on the bottom of my radiator.

billy_YJ 11-16-2012 05:20 PM

So I picked up the upper speedo cable from Napa today. It looks just like the lower one that I replaced already, but shorter... anxious to see what I'm working with once I take the dash apart to replace it. I plan to replace all the bulbs while I'm in it and give everything a cleaning. I hope this fixes the bouncing speedo!

I replaced the hood latch & cable assembly today. Also replaced the gear indicator on the shift column... both quick fixes.

BTW... that "teamgrandwagoneer" site is EXPENSIVE! Where else can I get GW parts?

dbabicky 11-16-2012 09:39 PM

www.bjsoffroad.com Nice GW by the way.

dbabicky 11-16-2012 09:42 PM

Another great site for info and some very well informed and experienced folks is www.ifsja.org (International Full Size Jeep Association)

billy_YJ 11-17-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbabicky (Post 14468381)
Another great site for info and some very well informed and experienced folks is www.ifsja.org (International Full Size Jeep Association)

You know, I registered on that forum over a week ago, and I can log in, however, I can not start threads, post replies, or interact. I've contacted the admin... haven't heard anything! Nevertheless, I can still browse the forum and get lots of useful info.

billy_YJ 11-17-2012 01:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Upper speedometer cable replaced... NEED IS STILL BOUNCING! I also took apart the gauge cluster and cleaned out the 25 years of dust that had collected. Also replaced the 3 bulbs back there while I had the cluster out.

Any suggestions on the bouncing speedometer? I've replaced both cables.

RockRollin 11-17-2012 04:26 PM

JC Whitney can be a good source also, once you get by the b.s.. I have found same items that I've seen at tgw for a lot less. X2 on Bj's off-road as well

billy_YJ 11-17-2012 06:09 PM

Thanks guys... also, I found some hood bumpers(mine were missing causing the hood to rattle a bit) for $3.99 at my local Autozone. They are on BJ's for $10.00. Too bad I already ordered them from BJ's! lol New rule: check EVERYWHERE before purchasing anything else. Otherwise, this thing is going to get expensive... quick! :)

The time now is 09:56 AM.