new to the forum and got a question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > new to the forum and got a question.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 11-18-2001, 07:53 PM   #1
rojogo

new to the forum and got a question.

Glad I found this forum. I am new to Jeep and I do not have a lot of knowledge about them. I have been an active member of a mercedes forum where most of my time and money has been going to fixin old diesels. Now I have an old Jeep that I would like to talk about.

It is an 83' Grand Wagoneer with 214k miles. The engine is strong but the 4X4 is unknown and the tranny I am not sure about either. It will not engage until fully warm. It runs and drives like a champ up to 80mph! It has no rust but has major interior issues and electric window and lock problems! All the window rubber is gone and water is starting to pour in. The rear window motor works but the window is out of the track and the track actually broke in 1/2! Overall it runs and drives good.

My main question is how do I operate the 4X4? I see a switch on the dash but it does not do anything. No 4x4! I have no clue about what could be wrong. Also how do I get a few inches of lift out of this thing. I do not want a skyscraper. Maybe just 2 or 3 inches. Could someone advise me?

Thanks in advance!

Unread 11-20-2001, 10:49 PM   #2
Mackddy6

OK, I'm pretty sure, that assuming you have a auto, you have fulltime 4 wheel drive. If that is the case, you have the Quadratrac transfercase, which is pretty damn good. The knob on your dash will operate your 4-low. Hope this helps.
Mackddy6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2001, 11:06 PM   #3
rojogo

The switch says 2wd----------4wd. When I move the lever from left to right it still does not engage. It also has a lever under the driver seat that will allow for different $x$ engagements. I cannot make it move. I have not tried forcing it. I do not know if I need to be in N or D or moving or sitting still?! Any suggestions? Thanks!
Unread 11-23-2001, 08:12 PM   #4
rojogo

Anyone have a suggestion?
Unread 11-30-2001, 07:07 PM   #5
Bruce

I have an 89 grand wagoneer and the shifter on the floor is for the low range. I shift mine in in neutral. If it has not been ingaged in a long time you will probably have to force it a little. I almost had to jerk mine in the first time i used it.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2001, 11:51 PM   #6
Bruce

I also have the switch on the dash and it is for going from 2high to 4high. Which simply means you are switching from two wheel drive to 4 wheel drive on the high side. That one will be an electrical switch I beleave. Look on your front chunk and see if there is a shifter there somewhere. I will check mine and let you know. I have to crawl under it tomorrow anyway as i beleave that I have a rear main seal leak.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2001, 11:25 PM   #7
rojogo

well when I switch from 2hi to 4hi there is no engagement. I guess something is wrong? Any ideas?

Thanks again!
Unread 12-05-2001, 04:22 PM   #8
mystery-mechanic

the switch is vaccume operated...you will have a vacume switch on the transfer case..with the vehicle running and wheels blocked...have someone hold the brake..switch the lever in the glovebox or on the dash pull off the hose on the transfer case and see if you hve vaccume..if not find out by trasing hose back and repair...if you do..pull of swiching dia frame from transfer case and repair..
mystery-mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2002, 09:29 AM   #9
slosurfin

I just went thru this with a new '84 GW. First, the on dash shifter is a vaccume switch with three vac. lines leading into it. If I remember right, two go to the transfer case "switch motor"and the third, red colored one goes to a vaccume "cluster" forward of the transfer case, it's hard to see/find. At the switch motor you have a vac line attaching at the back (from the dash) and another at the top of it which is a double line, One from the dash, the other from the hard to find vaccume cluster. you can follow this line to find the cluster. From here you go forward to the front axle where three vac. lines hook up, I can't remember where they all go to. Make sure all these lines are hooked up and not leaking. Start at the dash and test the red line, it's the vac in line which gets vac. from the "cluster" forward of the transfer case. This gets vac. via a red line from the vac. ball on the center of the firewall behind the engine. You can either pull the dash switch and check it now or go below and check the lines for vac. at the switch at the transfer case. If no vac. at transfer case check the dash switch and lines leading to vac. switch. Next check the vac. motor at the transfer case. I would pull the linkage off the vac. motor. It has an odd pin with a clip that holds it on to the motor push rod so fiddle around until you figure it out. The clip pushes up, rotating on the pin. Suposedly, this rod is moveable by hand but it's tough. Actuate the (dash)switch in both directions and you should see the rod move, if the vac. lines are all o.k.; including to front axle because any leak will keep it from switching, then the "switch motor" is probably bad. Try shifting the transfer case by hand using the linkage from the vac. motor you just removed, spinning the forward shaft to get it to engage and to shift. If it goes in to (4 wheel)gear remove the vac. motor., fiddle with it, bite the bullet and pay $125.00 to replace it through jeep, I couldn't find an aftermarket source personally, hook it all back up and test the vac. motor. if it doesn't move, you missed a vac. leak somewhere in the system. Next follow the linkage rod to its other end where you'll find a second linkage which is your high/low linkage. When in two wheel these should look parrallel to each other. Chances are, they are in adjustment unless someone has fiddled around with them. I sprayed these down with degreaser really well then sprayed PB blaster on them then, in four wheel, try to shift into low. You may need to roll the vehicle in gear a bit to get it to shift but do the actual shifting in neutral. If it doesn't shift into low still, go under again with a long screwdriver/breaker bar and try to move the hi/low linkage by hand. Your just trying to loosen it up so that it will shift. I did all this and got the four wheel system to work when none of it worked at first. The hi/low linkage was frozen from neglect and lack of use but I managed to unstick it and lub it up and it works fine now. shifts with ease. If you get this far and still have problems shifting (you should be able to manually shift transfer case from below), check the linkage adjustments. Next........ go to an expert!
slosurfin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2002, 03:29 PM   #10
steep

Go to http://www.ifsja.org/
steep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.