New carb and it smokes like crazy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > New carb and it smokes like crazy

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 01-25-2004, 08:53 AM   #1
JeepKid304

New carb and it smokes like crazy

ok heres the whole situation. my 79 chero 360 auto wouldnt run. it was on an angle in our drive. it wouldnt fire at all. we pushed it up flat and it would fire but only for a few seconds. figured it was the floats in the carb so we got a new carb. its a Holley, same as what came off of it, modle 4412S. when we started it, it runs, but blows massive amount of white smoke from the exhaust leak in the manifold and out the tailpipes. Its enough that i couldnt see my neighbors house. it sounds like its running fine. i adjusted the mixture from all in to 3 turns out, nothing seemed to help. there are some vacuum leaks i assume i havent found, but it didnt do this before with the old carb. Any ideas??

JeepKid304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2004, 09:20 PM   #2
Nightshade

It may have had some oile seepage into the cylinders and it is simply burning it out. How long did you run it and did the smoke begin to get thinner a bit?

The carb shouldn't be the reason for this happening but it may be ring blow by as well (worst case scenario) and you may want to run a compression check just to be sure.
3" Body
D60 rear D44 front
[size=4]Founder of the: [COLOR=darkslateblue]I bought my Jeep to get dirty and scratched club[/size][/COLOR]
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2004, 08:39 PM   #3
bones_18l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade
It may have had some oile seepage into the cylinders and it is simply burning it out. How long did you run it and did the smoke begin to get thinner a bit?

The carb shouldn't be the reason for this happening but it may be ring blow by as well (worst case scenario) and you may want to run a compression check just to be sure.

if the thing is blowing white smoke, you either have a blown head gasket getting antifreeze in the exhaust, or on auto tranny vaccum modulator is toast. ir it was a ring, it would be blue or some other color
bones_18l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2004, 08:42 PM   #4
bones_18l

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones_18l
if the thing is blowing white smoke, you either have a blown head gasket getting antifreeze in the exhaust, or on auto tranny vaccum modulator is toast. ir it was a ring, it would be blue or some other color
(most likely)
do a compression check. if you are getting water into the cylinders, you'll probably bend a piston rod or something
bones_18l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2004, 05:15 PM   #5
Nightshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones_18l
Doh!!

Missed the white smoke clue
3" Body
D60 rear D44 front
[size=4]Founder of the: [COLOR=darkslateblue]I bought my Jeep to get dirty and scratched club[/size][/COLOR]
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2004, 08:32 PM   #6
JeepKid304

well i figured it out. I had it parked on my driveway, on a hill. it wouldnt start, and i assumed it was out of gas so i added some from a can in my garage. then i figured out that the carb was the problem. Well it turns out the can didnt have gas in it. it was diesel. we diluted it out with a full tank of gas and the smoking has almost gone away. Thanks!
JeepKid304 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads
  • Carb to EFI - Full Size Jeep Forum (2 replies)
  • carb? - Full Size Jeep Forum (3 replies)
  • Carb ??? - Full Size Jeep Forum (2 replies)
  • Carb - Full Size Jeep Forum (0 replies)
  • AMC 360 carb - Full Size Jeep Forum (3 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.