need new spider gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > need new spider gears

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
cookingguy
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

need new spider gears

So I just got my rig back home after being stuck up on a mountian called the Miller Jeep trail it was up there for three days. Just got the diff cover off and found out I need new spider gears in my open dana 44. The sheard off teeth explain all the chatter. So how hard is it to replace the spider gears on this and what parts kit do I need. If anybody outhere has some please let me know.

cookingguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

might be better off adding a lunchbox locker since your spiders are gone
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
cookingguy
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

how would a lunchbox locker act on the road this is my DD but I do wheel it pretty hard on the rocks
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
cookingguy
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

if I weld my spider gears will that get my rig back on the road and make my rear a lincoln locked rearend
Unread 05-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #5
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Don't weld the spider gears for a DD. The on road handling would be pretty bad especially on wet days. It's not something you couldn't get used to but I wouldn't suggest it.
OrangeCJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
cookingguy
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

i need to get this old girl back on the road a cheap as I can where might I find a decent lunchbox locker for not to much money?? Also one that will not require me to have to set up the whole rearend. I would like to be able to do this on a sat and have it all done and back on the road a fast as is possiable
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingguy
i need to get this old girl back on the road a cheap as I can where might I find a decent lunchbox locker for not to much money?? Also one that will not require me to have to set up the whole rearend. I would like to be able to do this on a sat and have it all done and back on the road a fast as is possiable
Lunch boxes pop in. No setting lash. Google Dana 44 lock right or Aussie locker.
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

there are a ton for the 44. i have a detroit ez locker- it is cheap and works but it bangs and locks and unlocks rough. i had a powertrax no slip in the rear of an xj cherokee and much quieter and smoother. i vote for a powertrax- it was easy to predict in wet and snow.
Unread 05-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
cookingguy
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

looks like I am going to be going with a Lock rite. Any feed back on those
Unread 05-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

most lunchboxes( lockrite, ez, spartan, etc) can bang when locking and unlocking. it wont be as smooth as an open but will have a ton of traction.
Unread 05-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
CSP

The cheapest route is just to find a set of used spider and side gears and swap them in.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
cookingguy
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
The cheapest route is just to find a set of used spider and side gears and swap them in.
yes but I do wheel it pretty hard and could use the extra grip. how will it handle in the rain and snow?
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #13
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingguy View Post
How will it handle in the rain and snow?
Like a drift car.
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPNBST View Post
Like a drift car.
I sort of agree as long as talking about the rear having a locker but not if just replacing the damaged spider and side gears with used parts.
OrangeCJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #15
1983Chief

Get a lunchbox locker! i went through 4 sets of spider gears in my AMC 20 in 6 months. After that i put an Aussie mechanical locker in it and i've done brake stands and doughnuts without any problems. just stay off the gas around turns or clutch because if you don't it'll grab and it'll feel like someone is pushing you on and off from behind. I've been to uwharrie 3 times this year and also went to a bog and made it where a chevy on 40s couldn't. People say lockers are bad on the road, but they're really no different than a limited slip, except they work better! Don't weld the gears unless you plan on drifting everyturn in town!
1983Chief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.