Need help with starter-problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Need help with starter-problem

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
davex

Need help with starter-problem

Hi.

I have a 83 Cherokee Chief with the 360 engine.
The starter have been weird for years, it spins just fine, but it does not engage to the flywheel.
the problem is that i have never seen this type of starter before, and i have no clue how it works.

this is the same one i have (visually), but factory oem.

I ordered a Solenoid that was suposed to fit, it does not however. And after opening the starter to have a look inside i can't see any solenoid in it at all.
Is there any way to fix it or has the starter gone bad and needs replacing?
i live in sweden, so after shipping and taxes even a cheap asian replacement starter would cost about $200, so if anyone has any idea of how to fix the starter it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
//David.

Last edited by davex; 04-15-2013 at 01:16 PM..
davex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

On these trucks, the solenoid is NOT part of the starter.
The solenoid is mounted on the passanger fender.

look here, http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...eer&vi=1182349 your solenoid should look similar to these.
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
davex

Ah, yeah it looks just like that.

But what makes the pivot engage the starter drive to the flywheel in this type of starter?

it doesn't seem to have a solenoid to move the pivot arm?
is the big metal "barrel" attached to the drive suposed to be magnetized when the starter is running, thus pulling the pivot down to engage?
Unread 04-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

When the starter spins, the gear moves out to engage the flywheel teeth.
It is spring loaded, and retracts when the starter stops.
It's called a "bendix" gear/drive.
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

It's the same starting system as Ford used. That might help you in your information search. It is also a Ford ignition system.
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
davex

I realized the starter solenoid was nearly completely burnt out, so i replaced it with a new one. the first 3-4 cranks worked perfectly! the drive went into the flywheel and everything, but after a few times it stopped engaging the flywheel again, the starter "works", but just spins freely.
my thought is that it might be a weak battery? it's a quite small 60 amp that i normally use in my camaro, it has no problem cranking and starting the tiny 305, but maybe the bigger 360 needs a bit more power then 60 amps...
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
timgr
1975 CJ6 

If you take the starter off and look under that metal cover, you will see a rectangular steel slug on a hinge, connected to the starter gear. When the motor field is energized, magnetism pulls the steel slug in toward the starter which pushes the starter gear out to engage with the flywheel teeth. When the slug is fully seated and the gears are engaged, the motor is switched on and turns the flywheel. The gear only has an over-run clutch, so that the engine can run faster than the starter motor gear. A Bendix gear is different - it slides forward on the starter motor shaft when the starter turns, which engages the flywheel.

There is a contact that runs the motor and is made when the gear slides out. That must be sticking for the starter motor to run.

If this starter does not work reliably, you can take it out and fiddle with the internals to try and make it engage smoothly. But I would just get another one.
1) '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps. 2) '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, KOs, 7600 GVWR 3) '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top 4) '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.