Need Advice on Purchase: Grand Wagoneer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Need Advice on Purchase: Grand Wagoneer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-23-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
rowdy235

Need Advice on Purchase: Grand Wagoneer

Hey guys, new here and about to (hopefully) become part of the family. This vehicle will probably not be driven daily, as I have a gas-saver 2wd pickup for that use.

Anyway, the vehicle is a 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. The Good is it has the "ultimate" package, power everything, leather, etc. It seems to be in good shape and the paint is good.

The bad part is, the engine is shot. An AMC-360. However, he is giving me with it, a freshly rebuilt AMC 304. Now, I've searched and found information about swapping the 360 in for a 304, but what about the other way around? How well will it work?

I'm getting a great deal on it, and I hope I will like it. What kind of mileage can I expect from the 304?

rowdy235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2008, 11:48 PM   #2
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

The swap should be easy as they are the same block. You may want to use the 360 heads as I believe (not positive) the 360 heads had the dog leg exhaust which makes them flow a whole lot better.

304 Mileage, I would expect to be about the same (10-ish) as it would have to work a whole lot harder to move the big, heavy GW. I would think it would be a little underpowered as they used the 304 in the mid 70's in FSJ's but I think they were all manual transmission FSJ's w/o air conditioning.
Unread 09-29-2008, 01:20 AM   #3
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

304 was an option in '71/72 and I had one in my '73 J4000 for more than 5 years. (I accidentally rolled the truck avoiding a horse in the road at night time) Got 17 mpg average with a dialed in Motorcraft 2bbl.
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.