Need advice from a pro on my 85 Wagoneer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Need advice from a pro on my 85 Wagoneer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 01-22-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
jaya8troy

Need advice from a pro on my 85 Wagoneer

I have a 85 woody that has a sloppy steering problem--about 3/4 inch shake right or left when you hold the wheel--it's fine as far as up/down and tilt tightness.If I replaced the steering column with a used one instead of rebuilding--are there other jeep model columns that could replace mine. I have the 360 automatic with tilt in a 1985 Grand wagoneer. So anyway -rebuilding my old column with the looseness or switching out for a rebuild or used one.What is the best and smartest way to go. I found a place on line where I can buy all the bearings and related parts for the rebuild--but is that the best way to go---thanks for any help and opinions.

jaya8troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
old iron

have you checked the rag joint?
old iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2007, 01:34 AM   #3
jaya8troy

Yeah-I thought of it

I found a place thru dogpile where I can buy a bearing kit and that rag joint kit--both pretty cheap--is that the best way to go? Buy both and just repair the original column? I wonder what kind of time frame and difficulty level that involves?
jaya8troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2007, 06:02 AM   #4
poolmike
1968 FSJ Gladiator 

Like old iron said, your rag joint could be shredded, and your bearings might be fine.

'98 ZJ Limited. 5.2L, Auto. Stock for now.
poolmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.