My new old '78 J10 Honcho - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > My new old '78 J10 Honcho

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #16
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

New tank & sending unit.

Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #17
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Lifted the tank back up, much easier when empty! New fuel lines at tank for supply, return and vent hoses. I guess the original tanks had 2 vent hoses to the rollover valve, but the new tanks only have one, so there's a new little tee to make 2.

New supply and return hoses at the sender.

New vent hoses.
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #18
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Now why were those 2 pieces of wood on top of the tank? Because the vent tube elbow hits the bottom of the bed if there's nothing there to stop it. So I stuck one piece of wood next to the elbow to keep it from smashing the bed, or pushing the elbow back into the tank.

I didn't put the other piece in the back, but should have, because the tank is a little loose in there still even with the straps tightened all the way up. WIll have to do that in the future.

rear spot for chunk of wood.
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #19
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

There's got to be a better way than using pieces of wood, any ideas? Maybe some hard rubber or formed plastic to keep the tank tight but still leave a little space for the vent elbow......
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #20
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

On to the filler & vent hoses.

I went from and old mess to a new mess, but at least the hoses are new now.

Old mess. Lots of hose clamps!

Universal fuel filler hose to side fill tank.

Filler hose makes a trap of gas at the bottom of the hose before turning back up to the tank, which gave me a torso of gas when I yanked it off . Vapor hose cracked, broken.
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #21
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Went to install the new filler & vent hose, all the bends looked right but when I tried to fit them on they were about 6-8" to short! so after I blurted out a long list of profanities, my dad helped me find some pipe laying around the property, and made them work. Also on one end of each of the new hoses, the ends were flared larger and would not fit snug on the tank or filler neck, so I cut them off! I don't know why these hoses were wrong, maybe I'll have to get some for a newer J truck, '80 and up I think are different, and with the new tank, maybe that's why, I don't know, will have to try to find some correct hoses in the future but for now these work.

Cut the flared ends off both hoses.

Unread 05-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #22
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball
I worked on the truck for a few hours during the day, but early mornings and evenings were for this
I'd hate to be you. What an awful life you live
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #23
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yes that's a piece of electrical conduit! Just happened to be bent in the right spot too. I did the same with the filler hose with some other kind of pipe.

And tada! They work now, have to made due with what you have I guess! I would still rather be able to find the correct hoses, but oh well.

Unread 05-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #24
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
I'd hate to be you. What an awful life you live
It was rough, especially the drinking beer part, hard work I tell ya.
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #25
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball

It was rough, especially the drinking beer part, hard work I tell ya.
12oz curls FTW.

So was the tank you replaced it with the right one for your year or was it a direct replacement for the one you pulled? I am curious about the blocks of wood and all that myself.
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #26
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
12oz curls FTW.

So was the tank you replaced it with the right one for your year or was it a direct replacement for the one you pulled? I am curious about the blocks of wood and all that myself.
The tank I pulled out was a side fill that replaced the original tank a long time ago. The shop manual shows it should be a front fill, so that's what I ordered for my year. Also I couldn't find any side fill fuel hoses so I went back to what should be original front fill. Also the pics of the tank in the shop manual show the 2 little vent hoses when original were on the side next to the fill hose. On the new tank the vent is on top, and the brass elbow sticks up pretty far, smashing it into the bottom of the bed. I don't know maybe the new tanks are a little shorter and it takes some spacers to put between the tank and the bed to tighten it up, otherwise the tank would bounce around even though the straps are fully tightened.
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #27
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced all the fuel lines, except for the supply line to the pump which I found to be impossible without removing the smog pump unless you have skinny rubber arms, and I had a new one on order anyway, so I'd do that later when it arrived. Smog pump was seized, belt removed.

Old lines under the cab, probably original

New lines

New filter and lines.

Unread 05-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #28
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Cleaned the fuel sending unit ground wire, still nothing at the gauge in the dash. I only put 3-4 gallons in it though, maybe not registering yet. Or maybe gauge is bad, dunno. There's only one way to fit the sending unit into the tank, and I had to adjust the plastic float so it wouldn't rub against the side of the tank. The float rests on top of the sock when empty, maybe that's why the gauge isn't registering, it sits a little higher.

Unread 05-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #29
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well that's about all I've gotten done so far, I'm calling it my "ranch truck" for now until I get it in a little better condition before it can kick my TJ out of the garage! I forgot to mention it's at our land about 240 miles away from me. So I tore out some sagebrush to make a couple parking spots for the truck and my pop up trailer.

Unread 05-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #30
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

New parking spot!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.