Lifted the tank back up, much easier when empty! New fuel lines at tank for supply, return and vent hoses. I guess the original tanks had 2 vent hoses to the rollover valve, but the new tanks only have one, so there's a new little tee to make 2.
Now why were those 2 pieces of wood on top of the tank? Because the vent tube elbow hits the bottom of the bed if there's nothing there to stop it. So I stuck one piece of wood next to the elbow to keep it from smashing the bed, or pushing the elbow back into the tank.
I didn't put the other piece in the back, but should have, because the tank is a little loose in there still even with the straps tightened all the way up. WIll have to do that in the future.
Went to install the new filler & vent hose, all the bends looked right but when I tried to fit them on they were about 6-8" to short! so after I blurted out a long list of profanities, my dad helped me find some pipe laying around the property, and made them work. Also on one end of each of the new hoses, the ends were flared larger and would not fit snug on the tank or filler neck, so I cut them off! I don't know why these hoses were wrong, maybe I'll have to get some for a newer J truck, '80 and up I think are different, and with the new tank, maybe that's why, I don't know, will have to try to find some correct hoses in the future but for now these work.
So was the tank you replaced it with the right one for your year or was it a direct replacement for the one you pulled? I am curious about the blocks of wood and all that myself.
The tank I pulled out was a side fill that replaced the original tank a long time ago. The shop manual shows it should be a front fill, so that's what I ordered for my year. Also I couldn't find any side fill fuel hoses so I went back to what should be original front fill. Also the pics of the tank in the shop manual show the 2 little vent hoses when original were on the side next to the fill hose. On the new tank the vent is on top, and the brass elbow sticks up pretty far, smashing it into the bottom of the bed. I don't know maybe the new tanks are a little shorter and it takes some spacers to put between the tank and the bed to tighten it up, otherwise the tank would bounce around even though the straps are fully tightened.
Replaced all the fuel lines, except for the supply line to the pump which I found to be impossible without removing the smog pump unless you have skinny rubber arms, and I had a new one on order anyway, so I'd do that later when it arrived. Smog pump was seized, belt removed.
Cleaned the fuel sending unit ground wire, still nothing at the gauge in the dash. I only put 3-4 gallons in it though, maybe not registering yet. Or maybe gauge is bad, dunno. There's only one way to fit the sending unit into the tank, and I had to adjust the plastic float so it wouldn't rub against the side of the tank. The float rests on top of the sock when empty, maybe that's why the gauge isn't registering, it sits a little higher.
Well that's about all I've gotten done so far, I'm calling it my "ranch truck" for now until I get it in a little better condition before it can kick my TJ out of the garage! I forgot to mention it's at our land about 240 miles away from me. So I tore out some sagebrush to make a couple parking spots for the truck and my pop up trailer.