My "new" Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > My "new" Jeep

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 06-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
James22

My "new" Jeep

I have acquired a '79 Cherokee. At least I think it's a Cherokee as it has the Cherokee emblems on the front quarter panels. A guy at the auto salvage argued with me that it was a Wagoneer altho it looks exactly like all the pics I've seen of a Cherokee.
Anyway as I am not much of a mechanic, how do I know if it's a base or a wide track? When looking for parts to restore it that is one of the questions I get asked.

James22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Generally, cherokees are 2dr and wagoneers are 4dr.

Wide track will have fender flares (like a j-truck) and narrow track will have regular fenders (like a grand wagoneer)
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

They did make 4 door cherokees. All 4 door cherokees were narrow track. All wagoneers have 4 doors, all are narrow track. (From the factory)

Wide tracks have fenders that look like this:

82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
James22

Thanks guys, I figured as much after googling a Wagoneer and seeing nothing but 4 door models. Mine has two doors and fender flairs. In fact I am trying to figure out how to get the left front one off as it is really bent up. The Chilton manual I have says it is bolted on but it is attached by staples of some kind.
This old girl needs a lot of body work. The previous owner sunk a lot of money into her putting in a new engine and tranny but then lost interest. I was a little overwhelmed at first but have been encouraged by the comments from folks in the street. Apparently a lot of of people like these old Cherokees
James22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.