Motorcraft 2150 Advice Needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Motorcraft 2150 Advice Needed

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
PWS
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Motorcraft 2150 Advice Needed

SO I recently decided the Carter BBD had to go from my 258 after so many idling problems. I did some research on the internet and decided I was going to go to a local junkyard and pick out a Motorcraft 2100 with 1.08 venturis. After about than 3 hours of lifting hood (and just looking at old vehicles) I had only managed to find 1 with 1.08 venturis. It was out of an 89 bronco and had all this electronic crap all over it(I later learned that this was an MC 2150), but I also found this in really good shape 2150 with 1.21 venturis that had a sticker on it indicating that it had been re manufactured in an international harvester semi. I decided that I would try to get them both since I heard that people were getting them for 20-50$. When I got to the man in charge he with out even looking at either one said 60$ a piece. I about had a heart attack and decided I would have to choose only one. I had heard of people having issues with too much gas in the 1.21, but the 1.08 was in worse condition and had all these electrical plugs that I didn't know what were for. I reluctantly decided to get the 1.21. When I got back home I did alittle more research and am now worried I might should have gone with the 1.08 or just walked away.

So I have 2 options: 1 rebuild the MC 2150, then hope for the best, and if it struggles, seriously consider the "Team Rush" upgrade with the Ford ignition which I have heard helps with to rich combustion. 2 Sell the carb on Ebay and try to get my money back and then go to a different junkyard and find the correct venturi size, I would rather this not be the case because the next nearest junkyard is 1.5 hours away and I have never sold anything on Ebay. 3 Anything you guys suggest.

Some other information:
I got the MC 2150 over the MC 2100 mostly because that's all I could find, but I also live in the Appalachian Mountains, so I figured the altitude thing would not hurt. My 79' 258 engine is probably in need of a rebuild. The previous owner installed a manual choke for the Carter, SO I think I might reuse the manual choke. The carb. I bought has an electric choke on it,but I figure it would be a lot of hassle to hook it up, but if you guys think it would help my performance I would probably do it. Also this is in a 1979 Cherokee, but I might should consider posting this in the YJ section since its a 258.

thanks for any replys

PWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

It's not hard to hook up. Check out gronk performance

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.