post #1 of Old 10-15-2013, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
cookingguy
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

loose locking hub

So about 1 or 2 months ago I changed my locking hub out due to a failed something or another. All was going well till today I went to the bank and noticed splatering of some fluid on my wheel. Well I got home look into it more and my locking hub is a litte loose. I tried to tight the Allen head bolts that hold it in place and they won't tight up any more. I need some ideas on what may be going on this is my daily driver and need it in top running shape. I installed mile marker hubs and its a Dana 44 front end thanks for any ideas

post #2 of Old 10-16-2013, 03:55 PM
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

I had rattling warn hubs on my 76. I replaced them with milemarkers. Still rattled. My warn's had rattled for years with no problem.

Mine has the quadra-trac, and I think the hub may be machined just a little differently, since it's supposed to take slugs and not selectables.

What I ended up doing to get rid of the wiggle/rattle is I only installed 1 of the retainer clips. I think I installed the inner, and left the outer ring out. This totally fixed my problem, and everything seems to be working right. I do not, however, know if this was a good idea or not, only that it worked.

Beauty is in the eye of the jeepowner.