Looking at a 90 Grand Wagoneer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Looking at a 90 Grand Wagoneer

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 01-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
76silvercj5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looking at a 90 Grand Wagoneer

So my wife and I being jeep freaks were informed that one of her coworkers parents has a 90 grand wagoneer he is selling on the cheap. My wife absolutely loves the grand wagoneer's and I am tired of not having a 4wd vehicle for myself.

Can you guys give me a run down on what I need to look for on this thing? Prone cancer spots? or anything else that is going to tell me to walk away from this thing.

I'm a wrangler guy and this is my first full size jeep.

What axles do they come with?
Lock out hubs?
What sort of 4wd system do they have? Quadratrac or is it selectable?

Thanks in advance. I will take some pictures when I go check it out.

OME HD Springs and Shocks
Kongo Rack
76silvercj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Rust in the quarters and frame. Look at those areas. Whats "cheap". How many miles? Do all the power features work, rear window, etc. Any vaccume leaks? Do you have inspections in your area, and will it pass them? No lock out hubs, but shouldn't be a quadra either. Hows the woodgrain? Are the springs sagging? Is the headliner in your lap? Are the door hinges cracked, or comming off the body? Soooo many questions.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
76silvercj5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cheap is 500 bucks
I have no idea what the thing looks like or the condition. I am getting all my info third hand, but what I have heard is that the guy who owns it has a bunch of classic cars and that the thing is in really good condition. How much of that is true has yet to be seen. I'll make sure to look for rust and check for vacuum leaks.

I have an 88 suburban right now and I have been holding on to it for the 350 and 700R4 tranny to use in a swap but it might come down to me having to many projects and toys so it will have to go. Is it worth it to swap a 350 into the Waggy if the engine needs work?
Kongo Rack
Unread 01-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

If its a nice body, good interior and not full of rust, I say go for it. I would pay that for a clean body anyday. Looking for one myself, but plan on swapping a 6.2 Diesel out of a Burban and the 700r4.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
Unread 01-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
Tinga
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Some of the problem spots we're starting to notice is:
Back window. Does it roll down and/or the motor work.
Floor pans. Pull back that carpet if you can
Fenders. Check down low for bondo, bring a magnet.

If she runs and drives get it. FSJ are so damn fun and even if you don't like it, you could always part it out to Jeepers that need the parts :P
Unread 01-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
76silvercj5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well I went and looked at it tonight and I am just waiting to do the title transfer.

Here are the issues I was able to find
A/C doesnt work / isnt hooked up
lower rocker panels have rust and have been covered with fiberglass ( that will have to be cut out and replaced eventually)
Rear window defroster is not hooked up
Radio LCD display does not work.
Roof Rack was removed
Missing the front jeep hood emblem

Other than that it is in really nice shape.
Everything power works.
The frame is very solid even in the spot where the gas tank skid used to rust out.
Doors are in great shape at the bottom, no rust
Engine has 160K miles on it
4wd works perfectly

All and all I am happy to pay 500 bucks for it.
The guy who is selling it to me was a mechanic and his daughter in law works with my wife so I am certain that he isnt trying to hide anything.

Thanks so much to my wife for finding this...

Pictures and a build thread to come.
Kongo Rack
Unread 01-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
76silvercj5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Do they make replacement rocker panels for the wagoneer that I can just weld in to replace?
Kongo Rack
Unread 01-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I think someone offers them, but if not they are pretty easy to fab up. Sounds like a good buy hoss, you should get years of fun out of it.

Unread 01-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
76silvercj5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well did the title transfer this morning so she is officially ours. In driving her the few miles I did here is what she is going to need so far...

Exhaust leak (looks to be at the y pipe)
Brakes are going to need to be done asap
Windshield has a crack in it
Power Steering pump is whining like a two year old

Just my luck we get an arctic front coming in and its not supposed to be above 20 till next thursday. Oh and did I mention I don't have a garage to work in yet. BRRRRR

As soon as I get it home I will post some pictures, its sitting at my wife's work until I can find a ride to go pick it up.

Let the fun begin
Kongo Rack
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
76silvercj5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well I finally got her home. On the way I blew out a brake line so that will be added to the list of things that need to be addressed asap.

Took a few pictures with my phone.
img_0081.jpg   img_0083.jpg   img_0084.jpg  
Kongo Rack
Unread 01-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Good lookin Waggy! Nice score for $500 hoss. Not bad at all.

Unread 01-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
1jeep
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Cool deal. I just bought a 90. Installing a 3in Rough Country lift now.
0129010906.jpg   0129010906a.jpg   0120011327.jpg  
1jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #13
WagoneerCraig
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Lose the track bars if your lifting it
WagoneerCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 06:17 AM   #14
1jeep
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagoneerCraig View Post
Lose the track bars if your lifting it
What say you?

I posted a thread on here about that Sat night. They don't fit anymore.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/3.../#post10886529
1jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.