Lift questions for my 90 Grand Wagoneer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Lift questions for my 90 Grand Wagoneer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
hktiller
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Lift questions for my 90 Grand Wagoneer

I have a 1990 Grand Wagoneer and am looking at putting a 3 to 4 inch lift on it.
My question is when you put a body lift on it do you have to do anything to the traction bars, steering, etc.
Thanks for helping.

hktiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #2
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Trac bar/panhard bar. Traction bars are for chevys
Trac bars are not absolutely necessary on a full leaf spring vehicle. They do help with lateral play. I do run them front/rear, but I do a lot of curvey country road driving. You can also run the front and none in the rear.
Onward to the lift. 4" Body lift? Why? Not common. Suspention yes.
Once you get to 4" you are looking at extended brake lines, drop pitman arm. Plus the 3" list. If you stay at 3" or below, its only springs, shocks, trac bar relocation bracket (optional)
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
hktiller
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

We use the Jeep mainly for in the hills, hunting, etc. Where we go there are some pretty good size boulders which we can navigate over and around but sometimes I would like a little more clearance. Definitely am not going more than 4 inches and may just go 3. Thanks for the info, appreciate it!
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
miked2905
2009 JK Wrangler 

I installed the Rusty's Offroad 3.5"-4" lift kit on a jeep I had. Comes with leaf packs in the front, and an add a leaf and block in the back. Only $350.
Here's a link: http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...-lift-kit.html
Real easy install and I run 32" BFG AT's that fit perfect.
Here's a pic:

For the front: Leaf packs, u-bolts, shocks.
Rear: Add a leaf kit, u-bolts, lift blocks, shocks.
Highly recommend this kit. I love it.
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
hktiller
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

mike2905, thanks for the picture and information, just what I was looking for!
Couple of questions... Did you have to do anything with the traction bars?
When I called and tried to talk to someone they wanted to know what size axles I had,
been trying to find out and read about how to look for them..what do you have?
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
miked2905
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm not running any track bars, I took them right off, I think that's even what the instructions on the lift kit. BJs offroad kits come with track bar drop brackets but there's not alot to them. The jeep handles fine with no track bars.
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Running a rough country 3" kidney removal special on my 90 Wagoneer. Springs are bouncy as $$$T. Had to do over I would go with skyjacker soft ride springs all the way around. Even with my 3" i had to "persuade" the track bars back into place but it does handle decent for a 2ton toaster on wheels. :-) With the 31"'s its got decent power and good cruise RPM with the stock 3.31 gearing. Since the driveline is tucked up into the frame so well on this truck it has more clearance than my built WJ with a 4" lift and 33's.
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

I have a 4" BJ's and it makes my Jeep look like it should have been made from the factory. The 31"s are nice. And the drive line and exhaust are all tucked up safely. I removed all of my traction control stuff and it was fine until I drove back from Colorado under load at highway speed. It was SCARY. The puckered up to relaxed ratio was much higher than usual. I found my front sway bar and will be cutting the rods and slipping them into 6" of pipe that they can slide into. I'll measure and drill for a removable pins or grade 8 bolts and wing nuts on both ends so they can be removed for full flexing and easy re-attachment for street driving.

EDIT I meant Rustys... I was day dreaming about a BJ's 6" lift.
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Kidney removal special. X2
Super are you running the RC shocks? been thinking about the Bilstiens.
I also have been surprised by how well my Wagon handles, but yea if I had it to do over, I would have gone with better springs. If the shipping didn't suck I might do it anyway.
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
88wood

I just did a 4in lift from BDS full spring lift and highly recommend it. My wagon was sagging badly and steering was a bit loose. After new springs and shocks its great handling. I did remove the traction bars off as well. I won't be towing anything for much of a distance and live in the flatlands of Nebraska so not too many windy roads.

Install was pretty straight forward. Soak every bolt for a few days before the project and hope for warmer weather than I did mine in.
88wood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

I think I might try a front shock swap, its been on my mind yah all rc shocks. They use the same part # for front and rear, how can the valving possibly be matched to the.front spring rates if the weight of the engine is on the nose, the springs are completely different etc. my thoughts are something with way less compression damping and a lot more rebound control. That should reduce the bouncy feel. its as stiff as my Corvette in turns.... :-(
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.