Lift Kit Reviews - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Lift Kit Reviews

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.comAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 08-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
crossfit_wagon

Lift Kit Reviews

Anyone have a review on a lift? I'm looking at Rusty's but thought I would check first. I hope to order next week.

crossfit_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

i'm a fan of body lifts. i've used them on pickups, trackers, and soon my old fsj. cheap, effective, no changes in handling or how it drives, no alignments needed, can do it in a day with a friend, factory ride quality is maintained. and on mine (1966), i am clearing 32" tires on stock suspension before doing a 2" in the near future.
Unread 08-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

I did a rustys 4 inch on my Wagoneer. I was not unhappy with tbe ride. I did not use his shocks and with the ranchos. No passenger ever commented that the ride was too bad
my Cherokee has an SOA. I use the stock springs for a while. eventually I have a custom set made by alcan. The ride is great.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 01:12 AM   #4
dbabicky
1975 J-Series Truck 

I am a "Hell Creek Suspension" fan. Very impressed with the kit. Ease of installation, ride, full spring lift,(no frickin' blocks). Lift was complete with every thing needed right down to extended brake lines. Customer service was spot on.
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:52 AM   #5
Wifes_WK

6" BJ's on mine. Just needed extended front shackle to solve an over centering issue in the front. Beware of body lifts on FSJ's. These things weigh a ton.
Wifes_WK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
88wood

I put on a 4 inch BDS lift last year and love the ride and look. And the guys at BDS don't mind you calling to ask questions. They guaranteed the lift for life as well. Anything breaks for any reason and its replaced. No questions asked. And be prepared for a lot of rusty and damn hard to remove bolts. It's not complicated, but it is time consuming and frustrating at times.
88wood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Stay away from Rough Country springs on the FSJ, man the Rough part is no joke. I think using my tires for shocks and welding axles to the frame would ride smoother.
I have tried 3 different shock combos and no improvement.

-RM
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
crossfit_wagon

I ordered my kit from Rusty's. I will be installing it next weekend. I am hopeful it's a winner!
Unread 08-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
TUDrewser
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfit_wagon View Post
I ordered my kit from Rusty's. I will be installing it next weekend. I am hopeful it's a winner!
That's the direction I'm leaning...looking forward to hearing how it goes!
TUDrewser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

I have a Rusty's kit on my XJ rides great, installed perfectly.
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
RustysOffroad

Quote:

How did the install go? Hopefully sprayed the bolts down before hand. Old bolts are nasty.
[url]https://www.facebook.com/RustysOffRoad?ref=ts&fref=ts[/url]
RustysOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
CutterN55
1986 CJ7 

Since the OP's got his lift...

Getting rid of a 6" BJ's lift with all the goodies in East NC...CHEAP.

I can give a quick run down on my experience with lift springs.

BJ's, stiff at first, but once broken in they ride pretty good. very stable.
Superlift- rides like a dump truck.
Rough country- same.
SkyJacker (softride) rides smooth but often looses a little lift. Also tends to be a better flexing 'off the shelf' lift spring.

heard good things about Rusty's but never run them.
Alcan- never run them but have seen them on rigs in action at URE. I'd buy them.

Shocks are also a big item to consider. Make sure before you buy a set, you have an idea what kind of travel you will have and what the stroke length of the shock will be. Also, a shock with too much positive pressure will make a nice set of springs ride like crap (think jar your teeth loose) and too soft, you'll be bouncing down the road like a chopped Crown Vic.
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
crossfit_wagon

Thanks for the post. We are supposed to install my Rusty's kit this weekend pending no unforeseen issues.
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #14
crossfit_wagon

Anyone have input on getting rear leafs installed? It's like they aren't long enough. Dropping the tank was a real pain in the ***. I have both rear springs front bolt installed (tank back installed) but cannot get the rear bolt on either spring to reach??????
Unread 09-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
TUDrewser
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Anyone have input on getting rear leafs installed? It's like they aren't long enough. Dropping the tank was a real pain in the ***. I have both rear springs front bolt installed (tank back installed) but cannot get the rear bolt on either spring to reach??????
I read about using a 2x4 and jack to bend it in place. It definitely has a reputation of being hard to bend in there, but they say it fits with some horsing.
TUDrewser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.