Lift Kit Questions.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Lift Kit Questions....

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 05-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Shuboxlover
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Lift Kit Questions....

We have an 87 FSJ....I have decided to put a 4" 4 spring lift from Rusty's on once I get the Roadrunner project done and out of the shed (middle of summer)

Some questions...

1) Will I need longer brake lines?

2) Will I need to get a drop pitman arm?

3) Should I put wedges under the rear springs to bring the yolk back in line with the drive shaft u-joint?

4) Is a single shock good enough for the steering stabilizer or will I need a double setup?

What other words of wisdom can you guys give me???

Thanks in advance

Shuboxlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
88wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuboxlover
We have an 87 FSJ....I have decided to put a 4" 4 spring lift from Rusty's on once I get the Roadrunner project done and out of the shed (middle of summer)

Some questions...

3) Should I put wedges under the rear springs to bring the yolk back in line with the drive shaft u-joint?

4) Is a single shock good enough for the steering stabilizer or will I need a double setup?

What other words of wisdom can you guys give me???

Thanks in advance
I just did a 4 in lift from BDS and have nothing but good things to say about their product and support. That being said here Is what my thoughts are to your questions

1. Yes you will need them. My one brake challenge was actually the ebrake. I had to loosen it to put in the lift and tighten it back up afterwards.

2. Yes you need it. Not expensive and it makes sure your safe.

3. No need for wedges on mine

4. Single shock

Advice? Spray the crap out of the nuts with PB blaster. Take your time and if you get stumped take a break and come back after a bit. The guys at BDS were awesome for answering my questions when I got stumped and in this was my first lift kit. Also ask on here if you need help. Everyone here has been very helpful. Good luck.
88wood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
CSP

If your front end is aligned correctly you shouldn't need a steering stabilizer at all. Stabilizers just dampen rapid input like from hitting potholes, etc. They aren't required as part of the steering assembly.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuboxlover

Some questions...

No the kit came with brackets. Mine are fine at full droop.
No. I didn't opt for one on mine and the driving style didn't change. I would however re-align it immediately after installation.
3) Should I put wedges under the rear springs to bring the yolk back in line with the drive shaft u-joint? There isn't enough of an angle difference to necessitate it.

A single is fine. It's what I have on mine and I don't have any issues with bump steer.
What other words of wisdom can you guys give me??? Take your sweet time.
Some do it differently. But I install the springs to the chassis first. I used a couple blocks of wood and a jack to do this. Then I suck the axle housing in place with the u bolts and impact until its seated properly and torque to specs.
Using a jack under the pumpkin with another one under the yoke can make things easier when it comes to lining things up.
Then bleed the brakes with a buddy if you disconnected them.
I did because I used a lift and it was easier to drop the axles out of the way.
Enjoy beverage of your choice.
If you have a sway and track bar like I did they won't work with the lift. You have to buy relocation brackets or take them off. I removed mine completely without incident.
Then re-torque the u-bolts after 100 miles.
The worst thing you can do is rush. You'll end up pissed.

Thanks in advance
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
Shuboxlover
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks guys....those are all great words of advice. It's not my first lift kit installation. I've done one on a 93 GC, 02 GC (budget boost) 71 Chevy PU, 69 GMC PU.....so I'm not a complete newb, but never have done one on a GW....I'll post some before and after pics. But I'm guessing I won't be able put the lift on until summer (when it's nice and hot)
Shuboxlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Keep us posted. Love to see these Jeeps getting fixed up.
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Do the driver rear spring first. There is a blind nut between the frame and gas tank. It will most likely break loose and you will have to move the tank over a little to get to it. If it doesn't, good deal, if it does, deal with it but the rest will seem easy after that...
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle
Do the driver rear spring first. There is a blind nut between the frame and gas tank. It will most likely break loose and you will have to move the tank over a little to get to it. If it doesn't, good deal, if it does, deal with it but the rest will seem easy after that...
If this happens and the tank is out of the way I think it would be a good idea to put a new nut in place and tack weld it to the frame so the tank doesnt have to be moved the next time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.