lift kit install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > lift kit install

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 10-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
84grandwagoneer
1984 FSJ Wagoneer 

lift kit install

I am looking at buying a 6 inch lift kit for my 84 grand wagoneer and was wondering if it would be better to install it myself or take it somewhere to install it. I have decent mechanical knowledge and limited amount of tools. any suggestions?

Last edited by 84grandwagoneer; 10-21-2013 at 09:08 AM..
84grandwagoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Welcome.

Do it yourself. I take it you plan on going off road and that's why you are lifting it? It is better to know how it all works and fits together if you have to do a trail repair.

If you need a new tool, buy it. Justify the cost from the amount you saved not paying someone to do the lift. This can include spiffy new floor jacks, jack stands and cut off wheels.

It's a dirty, greasy, get crap in your eyes and skin your knuckles, smelly, tiring job and you will most likely hit your head on something too. But it is worth it knowing you did it yourself.

Spray PB blaster on everything ahead of time. The 'capture' nut on the driver side rear spring will sometimes break loose. If it does you will have to at least move the gas tank out of the way to get to the nut. With the tank moved over some I was able to get a wrench up in there and used the frame to hold it in place. Do this spring first and everything else will seem easy.

Just cut the old u-bolts. You can't reused them and they are a pain to take off.

Make sure to figure out front/rear springs before you start and also which direction. Mark them as such.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.