Leaf spring repair or replace? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Leaf spring repair or replace?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
Wacowaggon
1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

Leaf spring repair or replace?

So the son has been driving the beast to work and called to tell me its broke down. He told me he put gas in it and it wont start back up. It's had a case of vapor lock in the past but not for awhile so I went to retrieve it. Sure enough though it wont start had to try and jump it, no joy.

As I am walking around i notice the passenger side wheel looks like its too far back. I look at the other side its dead in the middle of the wheel well. Back to the passenger side its 3-4 inches aft. Under the wagon i find the leaf spring is bent at the aft hanger. Its less than two years old and has been off the pavement twice, gingerly, because ive been afarid of busting a u-joint from the bigger tires. Can this be straightened or is it best to just replace it?

2013-01-01-17.06.45.jpg   2013-01-01-17.06.59.jpg   2013-01-01-17.06.15.jpg  
Wacowaggon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

I would replace. Even if only the damaged leaves. I don't recall ever hearing of good results from repair.
RockRollin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Replace. What brand are they? You can probably just replace the main leaf. That is really a weird failure for a street driven jeep. You should check if the bushing is over torqued.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

It looks like the shackle on that side is flat. So what probably happened is the shackle flattened somehow and the spring had no choice but to bend since there wasn't a pivot.
BJ's Off-Road is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ's Off-Road View Post
It looks like the shackle on that side is flat. So what probably happened is the shackle flattened somehow and the spring had no choice but to bend since there wasn't a pivot.
Good eye!
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
Unread 01-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
88wood

I don't know what happened, but the one thing that caught my eye is the dent in the fender well right behind the passenger side tire.

Would it be possible the wagon went off road with out Dad knowing? Looks like that tire may have been pushed back into that fender. I'm a father of two boys and know anything is possible with boys and jeeps. Haha
88wood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

In my experience a spring doesn't bend like that without some decent force applied.
Unread 01-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
Wacowaggon
1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

The only story I've gotten out of him is that he accidentally ran over a curb. Good news is that it doesnt look to be that expensive to replace.
Unread 01-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
88wood

Well a cheap fix is better than an expensive one. Good luck getting it fixed up.
88wood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
realmccoy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I can remember taking a friend of mine dads truck muding a many of times and me and him stopping at the car wash on the way home to clean it up.
Worked everytime , til we stuck it to the doors and couldn't get it out or get help to , so we had no option but to call his old man to come help get it out , he did without saying anything to us in front of my friends but when we got home we were told that we would never drive it again .
And we never did.
That was 30 years ago and boys are still boys
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #11
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacowaggon View Post
The only story I've gotten out of him is that he accidentally ran over a curb.

The part of the story left out is that it was at 70 MPH...
BJ's Off-Road is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #12
Wacowaggon
1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ok, so here is the picture of the leaf off with the new REAR spring that came in the mail. Had to get the right one sent and now have it installed. The front shackle is not as far forward as the drivers side. Is it possible to install these backwards? Top picture is original leaf , bent leaf and rear leaf.
photo-1-.jpg   photo.jpg  
Unread 02-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #13
Rosental1
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Look at the pic of the bent side. You can clearly see the trauma on the fender behind the wheel. Its consistent with the wheel moving back from the hit and then a little forward again. I would hazard a guess that he did hit the curb at a reasonable speed I wouldn't say 70 but it wasn't 15 either..........
Rosental1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
kenjusa

I have haf my springs re arched back 10 yeats ago. They have held up great. A good rebuilder will ask you what loadd you carry/tow. Also be sure they add Teflon pads between the springs, this will help in obtaining a smooth ride and quite articulation. Kenjusa
kenjusa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
timgr
1975 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ's Off-Road View Post
The part of the story left out is that it was at 70 MPH...
This. And it was a fairly high curb. Or the brakes were locked. Rolling over an obstacle is much less stressful than sliding into it.

Bending the main leaf like this is common damage if you hit a step-like obstacle at speed. One of the disadvantages of forward shackles.
1) '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps. 2) '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, KOs, 7600 GVWR 3) '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top 4) '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.