junk yard lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > junk yard lift

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 02-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
GrandJoker
2009 JK Wrangler 

junk yard lift

ok right now im running kinda short on cash an i was wondering if you could help me with a junkyard lift what leaf springs will or if yall know about a cheap but purty goodlift like blocks or something

GrandJoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

If you are short on $$$, why spend anything lifting a rig? There is nothing that I know of that will bolt on w/o modification and blocks over 1-2" are going to just cause problems.
Unread 02-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
GrandJoker
2009 JK Wrangler 

to give it a little change i guess i dont know man but thanks for the info on the blocks i didnt know that
Unread 02-25-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Why blocks are bad is because anything over 2", you will have bad axle wrap...
Unread 02-25-2010, 12:22 AM   #5
GrandJoker
2009 JK Wrangler 

well what about with moving the axles like putting them under the leafsprings instead of on top would i have to do any type of mods to it or would it be the same?
Unread 02-25-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
GrandJoker
2009 JK Wrangler 

an another thing if you would om whats a good shock thats rather cheep because mine are totally shot
Unread 02-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandJoker View Post
well what about with moving the axles like putting them under the leafsprings instead of on top would i have to do any type of mods to it or would it be the same?
Yes, this would work but the rear is already like that so you need to do something in the rear.

We have a kit that does front and rear here:

View the Front SOA Kit and Rear Shackle Flip Kit! at http://www.bjsoffroad.com

The front is weld-on (because of the perches), the rear is bolt on and a lot of designing went into this kit to get the proper geometry for the suspension still.

As for shocks, the Pro-Comp ES9000 shocks are a good deal and fairly cheap for a gas charged shock:

View the Pro Comp ES9000 Shocks at http://www.bjsoffroad.com

They are only $8 more for a set of 4 than the ES3000's which are hydraulic.

With the SOA kit, to do it right it going to cost more than a lift kit. You can use a drop pitman arm but the drag link will hit the passenger side leaf spring under full droop which could damage or bend your steering components. To do it right would require a hi-steer or a crossover steering which we carry here:

View the Crossover Steering Kit 1974-1991 FSJ's at http://www.bjsoffroad.com

You would also need shocks and extended brake lines.

Hope this helps.
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
GrandJoker
2009 JK Wrangler 

well see the front and rear is like that on mine they are both on top of the leaf
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
GrandJoker
2009 JK Wrangler 

with the SOA kit what size shocks would u run on it
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #10
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
well see the front and rear is like that on mine they are both on top of the leaf
It says you have a 1986 GW, if you do, I will guarantee that the rear axle is on the bottom of the leaf spring.

You would want shocks that are meant for a 6-7 inch lift. It is best to measure after you are done to get the proper shock but we can get you close if you want shocks right away.
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:58 AM   #11
GrandJoker
2009 JK Wrangler 

yea sorry bout that i feel retarded now i looked at it wrong but with SOA kit how much lift does it give you
Unread 02-26-2010, 11:31 PM   #12
Eric_B_1984
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

I apologize but I didn't know bj's off road existed until I joined the forum, but I have the rusty's off road 6" kit for my 87 grand wagoneer. trust me dude I went with 2 inch blocks in the rear and the kinda junky lift shackles that we sell at advance auto parts, and not to put out stuff down but man I had wander like you cannot believe, but now it actually drives better than before any lift. this is the link i'm not sure how it'll show up but here goes.

Rustys Offroad: FSJ 6" Full Size Spring Pack Lift Kit
Eric_B_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
GrandJoker
2009 JK Wrangler 

BJ what would be better would your 6in lift or SOA kit with the cross over steering kit which would give more lift because the way i priced it the lift kit is 50 dollars less so which would be better
Unread 03-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #14
waynews2u
1970 FSJ Wagoneer 

just so you know. i went cheap. or so i thought. i bought the left spring perches from summit $13 for both. then i fliped the shackles $0. but brake lines were to short - new lines $120. then the shocks $160. thought i was a genious until i drove it and the drag link hit the leaf springs. so, still needed crossover. if i could do it over again, i'd save the money and buy the kit.
waynews2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #15
synodite
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
an another thing if you would om whats a good shock thats rather cheep because mine are totally shot
Check out stock shocks for larger trucks. I did a spring over/ shackle flip to my 79 cherokee and found that the rear shocks from a 2000 f350 were a perfect fit and $80 for a full set. Along with a ho key puck body lift and fresh bushings (2" body lift total) i have ogles of flex and no rub with 35's (wide track cherokee though)
synodite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.