J2000 Transmission Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > J2000 Transmission Noise

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Lukascrowley

J2000 Transmission Noise

Finally got around to getting my '73 J2000 drivable, only to discover a loud hollering noise coming from my transmission or t-case. It only happens above around 35 mph and when the transmission is freewheeling. Any load accelerating or decelerating causes the noise to stop. Does anyone have any similar problems with these 3 speeds trannys? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Lukascrowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
CSP

Three speed auto or manual?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Lukascrowley

It's the three speed manual. I guess it's a bearing going out, but I'm not sure.
Unread 12-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Mjd82

check catalytic coverter
Mjd82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
Lukascrowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjd82
check catalytic coverter
I built the exhaust on it, so no cats. I'm fairly certain it's in the transmission or transfer case.
Unread 12-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
CSP

Sounds like you need to drail the oil on one gearbox at a time and check for metallic residue in the oil. I'd start with the transmission. You can also remove the shifter tower and look inside to see if anything glaring sticks out.

A '73 wouldn't have ever had a catalytic convertor.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
Lukascrowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP
Sounds like you need to drail the oil on one gearbox at a time and check for metallic residue in the oil. I'd start with the transmission. You can also remove the shifter tower and look inside to see if anything glaring sticks out. A '73 wouldn't have ever had a catalytic convertor.
Thanks. I'll start with that and see where it gets me. I've been toying with the idea of a 5 speed conversion anyway, so if the trans is shot it'll help my decision a lot. I'll post the results after I check it out. Probably won't have time until this weekend. Thanks for the advice.
Unread 12-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Lukascrowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP
Sounds like you need to drail the oil on one gearbox at a time and check for metallic residue in the oil. I'd start with the transmission. You can also remove the shifter tower and look inside to see if anything glaring sticks out. A '73 wouldn't have ever had a catalytic convertor.
Drained the transmission and transfer case oil. Didn't notice anything significant with the oil, no metal shavings other than obvious wear from forty years of use. Refilled it with 75-W90 and some Lucas. Took it for a ride and the noise is still there. Thinking very seriously about a fuel injected 4.0 and AX15 conversion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.