J10 parts wanted. Any and all - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > J10 parts wanted. Any and all

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 03-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #61
slindsay8
1978 J-Series Truck 

Right on. Thanks man, Thats another project to look into.

slindsay8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #62
GUMPOND
1996 ZJ 

I have a np219 transfer case if that helps, 23 spline
GUMPOND is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #63
BeachDriver
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have a blown passenger side head gasket I took the Jeep out last week and wanted to shoot a video while I was driving it....I was on some back country roads just motoring along and then I came to a stop and as soon as I did steam started coming from under the hood area....

I was about two miles from home and as I got going I noticed steam coming out the exhaust and it kept getting worse and worse.

I get her home and shut her down and get out and then see coolant pouring onto the ground from the passenger side of the engine near the back of the engine.....and the radiator cap and radiator itself wasn't even hot...cold like...then I remember while on the country road that the temp gauge wasn't up to normal yet even though I had hit the toggle switch to turn on the dual electric fans...

The next day a friend stops by and tell him what happened...he listens while I start the truck and tells me to immediately shut it down and goes on to tell me he is sure it is a blown gasket and nothing else..says he can tell by the sound of the engine....the oil on dipstick is real clean...no coolant at all.....he went on to tell me that since the engine has only 500 approximate miles on rebuild and it is 30 over and 10 1/2 to 1 pistons he asked me if the guy I bought the truck from had retorqued the heads but that guy is traveling around the world with his wife at the moment so I don't know. So my friend tells me to buy really good head gaskets and upper gasket set and be sure to tell the place I buy them from to inform them the engine is 30 over with hi lift cam with 10 1/2 to 1 pistons so they can give me a good gasket for it.

Another friend who does all my repair work won't be back into town for a couple of weeks so then will have him come over and see what he says...

Anyone want to take a shot and give me an approximate price to have new head gaskets installed? Can be done without taking engine out? Funnny thing is I wanted to take the video to upload to YouTube along with the other one I have there as I was thinking about selling her but not now for sure...

A pic of engine and truck as she sits right now.

I'll say one thing though...this truck hauls arse...the faster I got her and the higher the RPM's the more she wanted to move...like a very fast race horse...still has the stock 2:73 or 74 rear ratio so not a beast off the line but once she gets moving she is a beast...what a fun drive...until the head gasket went

EDIT: And if anyone has head gasket recommendation and where to order them from online that would be helpful as well..any and all advice is welcomed.....as I have to wait until my mechanic gets back into town in a couple of weeks.
j_10enginemarch4_2011.jpg   j10_march6_2011.jpg  
BeachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #64
oneponycar
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Well Its around 85 bucks an hour labor. You have to tear down the top end of the engine. A good mechanic will do both heads. Its around 850 to 1200 dollars with parts. You may need a valve job too. Running it out of coolant may have damaged the heads I would do a valve job. You have it apart and its runs about 65 bucks a head if all you need is resurfacing of the valves
46.jpg   49.jpg  
oneponycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #65
BeachDriver
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneponycar View Post
Well Its around 85 bucks an hour labor. You have to tear down the top end of the engine. A good mechanic will do both heads. Its around 850 to 1200 dollars with parts. You may need a valve job too. Running it out of coolant may have damaged the heads I would do a valve job. You have it apart and its runs about 65 bucks a head if all you need is resurfacing of the valves
Thank you for that info and I remembered after making my post that I had started the engine after filling with coolant the following day or two and used my video camera....I just now uploaded to YouTube and because I don't know yet how to edit my video's on my computer they came out 2 but very short video's.....so please watch in sequence .......

Unread 03-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #66
oneponycar
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Hey May have a cracked head. Sounds Bad. It's loosing compression out the side. I would leave it alone until repairs are made. Could make it worse. Score the pistons. She is sick but fixable.
Unread 03-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #67
BeachDriver
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks and my friend who does all my mechanical work just called from out of town....he and his wife will be home in two weeks and I told him what happened and he told me not to worry about anything....that when he gets home he will take a full day and come tear it down and see whats what......

And whatever it takes to repair he will take care of it for me and he has friends with machine shops that can do whatever needs to be done as well.

So hopefully truck will be back on the road in 3-4 weeks ...better than ever....just in time for spring weather..
Unread 03-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #68
oneponycar
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Just part of ownership.
02.jpg   41.jpg   35.jpg   54.jpg   65b.jpg  

Unread 03-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #69
slindsay8
1978 J-Series Truck 

Sweet I'm glad somebody got back to you with some info. Luckily enough you can pull your heads from the engine compartment. I'm assuming you had your heads inspected at a machine shop when you rebuilt the engine do to the bigger pistons? Well since your friend has machine shop friends, I'd let him take both heads for testing. Check for cracks, valve guides, resurfacing, all that. As for labor goes I don't know. I've been doing all my work since high school. But as far as machine shop goes, with friends prices can range from an I owe you one to a 12 pack . Without friends testing your heads could range from 50-300 depending on what you want done and where you go (big determining factor).

Let me know what gaskets your gonna be using. I'm taking my heads off this weekend too.

Goodluck! Some tlc and royal blue and she'll be up and running again!
Unread 03-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #70
sang_route
1973 J-Series Truck 

Spend the money and search online. smucks "performance" gasket for the 360 isn't all that good and mine leaked around the first cylinder. had to replace them and it opened a can of worms.

88 and 95 XJ, 1973 J4000
sang_route is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #71
BeachDriver
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slindsay8 View Post

Let me know what gaskets your gonna be using. I'm taking my heads off this weekend too.

Goodluck! Some tlc and royal blue and she'll be up and running again!
Thanks and am looking at the Fel-Pro PermaTorque head gaskets

http://www.federalmogul.com/en/After...s/Permatorque/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-8266PT1/

What do you guys think....good enough for being 30 over with 10 1/2 to 1 compression?

If someone feels there is better please post a link.
Unread 03-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #72
BeachDriver
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Been reading so much stuff online I can barely see any longer

Two articles I came across regarding head gaskets...

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...d_gaskets.aspx

http://www.aa1car.com/library/ic697.htm
Unread 03-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #73
oneponycar
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Yea shopping on line can give you drainbramage.
Unread 03-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #74
slindsay8
1978 J-Series Truck 

That felpro on summitracing is good stuff. Has the PermaTorqueMLS Material. Looks like summit going to make more money off me once again... I'd get your heads resurfaced too, or at least check if it needs to be done. The best gasket in the world are wothless on a warped head. I'm getting mine checked.
Unread 03-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #75
oneponycar
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Do it right and you will get years out of it.
67.jpg   65a.jpg   86.jpg   87.jpg   01.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.