J10 parts wanted. Any and all - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > J10 parts wanted. Any and all

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #31
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

looks like my 78 did before i repainted it. golden ginger?

Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #32
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

So, those are definetly some nice j10s. You can check out mine in the Registry 'Apricot'

Used to live in Az down by tombstone. Kept lookin for a j10 everywhere, and had to move to Nevada before I finally got one.

I'm a little curious, though. What does that 360 with the dual carbs think when you dump all that gas down there? I put a qjet on my 360, and she likes it until I open up the secondarys, then she seems to start flooding out.

And good luck with finding that tailgate. Maybe you can un-bondo it? I haven't had a truck with bondo yet, but I know how I am, and I would definetly try to remove it.
pleontks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #33
BeachDriver
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleontks View Post
So, those are definetly some nice j10s. You can check out mine in the Registry 'Apricot'

Used to live in Az down by tombstone. Kept lookin for a j10 everywhere, and had to move to Nevada before I finally got one.

I'm a little curious, though. What does that 360 with the dual carbs think when you dump all that gas down there? I put a qjet on my 360, and she likes it until I open up the secondarys, then she seems to start flooding out.

And good luck with finding that tailgate. Maybe you can un-bondo it? I haven't had a truck with bondo yet, but I know how I am, and I would definetly try to remove it.

First off thanks for the reminder that there is a Registry here....When I first joined here about a year or so ago I stumbled across it and have never been back..just plain forgot about that section of the site. But just now seeing 'Apricot' and the other Jeeps I will be spending some time there.....Apricot is so fitting for your Jeep and those pictures were awesome...not only of Apricot but that one pic of the scenery is just plain gorgeous.

As for the dual carbs, if I nail it either from a standstill or while going say 40 and then nail it the engine will immediately hesitate. I then have to feather the gas pedal for a few seconds for it to catch its breath so to speak and then she takes off like a rocket....

Last weekend, a good friend who is a mechanic and a transmission builder by trade, took the Jeep to install a new rear pinion seal for me and he also installed new valve cover gaskets and new chrome valve covers I had purchased off Amazon as the ones on it were getting nasty looking...My health is not good so I need to have him and other friends do stuff for me but even when healthy my skills were in driving and totally lacking in mechanical skills except for basic stuff. I come from a long line of drag and modified racers and live in a big racing comunity for a rural area so when guys built race cars I would be one of those they would ask to drive it....but if they needed a spark plug changed, they knew not to come to me

Anyway my friend while working on it told me if I was to keep the Jeep to consider removing the dual quads and putting just a single carb on it not only for the gas mileage but he also mentioned another reason to do with that 360 but right when he was telling me this his wife and kids came into the shop and we never went back talking about the dual quads so I will need to ask him next time we talk......but I think he started to say something about excess gas or something ...

I bought the J10 with the intention to take it to a higher level...basically make it into the fastest 1/4mile Jeep that is out there but yet to keep it streetable and able to drive it in 4x4 on the beaches out here in addition for winter snow...but now I am having a change of heart....I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ Country that I bought last summer and that only has 115k miles on it....it needed some work ( rear main seal, shocks, a/c work ) but I had that all done and with all the snow we have been having since this past December I have been using the XJ and am impressed what a beast it is in the snow as well as on the beach. Not to mention it has good heat and now cold a/c while the J10 doesn't.....Normally that wouldn't matter much but again, due to age and health I am finding out it matters a lot to me now. I am thinking of maybe selling the J10 and keeping the XJ for my 4x4 needs ( I have 3 other vehicles on the road but none 4x4) or sell the XJ and keep the J10 but again, no a/c, no heat is a concern to me right now....(might be getting a little heat but not much..)

Where the headers connect to the exhaust pipes there is a space that needs to be taken care of and also a few areas along the pipes have slight leaks so tomorrow another friend who does exhuast work is taking it to correct those minor issues with it....and it will also quiet it down as it is extremely loud...wonderful sound due to the cam but way to loud for neighbors and even myself and the loudness is in good part due to exhaust leaks......Jeep has been in storage for many years so I am having fixed the things it needs to get it as near perfect as I can....

Then I'll decide to keep her or sell her....

As for the tailgate another friend who owns a body shop will need to have another look at it and he will probably be thinking along the lines you are with removing the bondo......he and his crew can perform magic but at the moment they are extremely busy due to high number of accidents due to nasty weather we have had recently and they also do cars for Hollywood for major motion pictures so it will probably be a couple of weeks before he can take care of it for me...

Sorry for so much rambling on.
BeachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #34
azatrox
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slindsay8 View Post
Thanks guys! Alot of TLC and she'll be even nicer. I'd say between 1-2 years It will be done. Depending on how fast I pick up on how things work on this truck and $$ of course.

And I gotta have the AZ flag, it was built in AZ! Haha. Hey Azatrox your next for pics my friend. I'm curious to see my local competition!
All of my Jeeps have the Az flag...just gotta have it!
I need to snap a few pics of my J10. It's 15 minutes away at a buddies house until I get her up and running! It's the darker brown, faded root beer brown with the Golden Eagle decals.
azatrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #35
slindsay8
1978 J-Series Truck 

Alright I can't seem to figure out what my stock gearing is in my Rear axel. And I have 36" tires.

I want my truck to be drivable on the street, But I also want to just shread the hills, and blow a civic away off the line every now and then ha.

I was thinking 3.93 gears? 4.11 may be too much for highway? I don't have too much experience on this so any info helps.
slindsay8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #36
BeachDriver
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Don't know if this will help you or not or if you have a tag on the rear but its what I just came across in trying to find something to help you.

http://www.ifsja.org/tech/axle/axleid.html
Unread 02-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #37
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Best bet is to get a new rear diff cover gasket and some fluid, and open her up and see. You either have to count the teeth on the ring and the pinion and divide them. Both my 76 j10 and my 79 chief have the same 3.54 stock gears. When I opened up my cover, on the side of my ring gear was stamped the ratio 43:13
Divide the big by the little.....43/13=3.54jhshjdj
Unread 02-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #38
slindsay8
1978 J-Series Truck 

Thanks guys for the responses I'll probably cound the teeth. I have the rear end dropped Im gonna clean it up and repaint it. Figure I drop a Locker in it and new gearing. Heres some pics! OH and the Passangerside bracket that hold the shocks to the Dana 44 is pretty much gone. So i'm gonna have to find a new bracket to weld on...

And Azatrox, my truck is about 25 minutes away at a buddies house as well. It sucks to haul back and forth days I try to work on it.
img00213-20110213-1309.jpg   img00212-20110213-1309.jpg  
Unread 02-16-2011, 12:42 AM   #39
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Since that one shock mount is already missing, I would go ahead and cut the other one off, and then mount them so that they're not sticking down. Don't know if it's a good idea, but I wanna do it to my j10 when I lift her.
Anybody else got any input on that? I always wonder why I see all these lifted new chevys with them hanging down. Seems like a snag to me.
Unread 02-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #40
BeachDriver
1996 XJ Cherokee 

See you didn't waste anytime digging right into that bad boy....what ratio gearing you going with and which locker? Would you or anyone know if I wanted to go to 4:11 from my stock 2:73 is it just a matter of getting and installing a 4:11 rack and pinion or is more to it than that?

I believe you said it has 36" tires...my 92 Wrangler YJ had 33x12.50x15's and Yukon 4:56 gears and those gears with that size tires seemed just about perfect for the Jeep.

Quote:
Thanks guys for the responses I'll probably cound the teeth. I have the rear end dropped Im gonna clean it up and repaint it. Figure I drop a Locker in it and new gearing. Heres some pics! OH and the Passangerside bracket that hold the shocks to the Dana 44 is pretty much gone. So i'm gonna have to find a new bracket to weld on...

And Azatrox, my truck is about 25 minutes away at a buddies house as well. It sucks to haul back and forth days I try to work on it.
Unread 02-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #41
BeachDriver
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I just deleted the youtube video I had posted a few posting back from the other day due to I just got my J10 back from my friend who fixed the exhaust leaks. So I just now today...Feb 16..made a new short video and just finished uploading it to youtube so here it is.

a bit windy out so please ignore the wind sound, especially at the start of the video...

(any and all comments appreciated)

Unread 02-16-2011, 11:49 PM   #42
slindsay8
1978 J-Series Truck 

I'd like to know about repositioning the brackets too. I never thought of relocating them.

Nice vid Beach, I can tell the difference, sounds way better! Bad to the bone couldn't be a better phrase.

And Beach, Here is a good write up i found that explains just about everything pertaining to gear ratio and what you'll need to know and buy to regear. http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/te...sta/Gear_Setup
And I was thinking of gearing to 4.11 with my 36" tires. I was also looking at the Detroit TrueTrac Locker. Here is a link:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTL-913A590/?rtype=10

But I came across a Stam on my Rear Diff when cleaning. It states Up top a ID number: 5358481. And beneath that number is a ratio set up (I think) which says: 45-11 4.09. Does this mean It's been regeared already with a ratio of 4.09? Based on Beachs link to ifsja that tag i posted a pic of is the gear ratio. Also the drain plug on the rear diff has an aftermarket brand name on it. Can't remember what brand it was off the top of my head.
img00214-20110216-1615.jpg   img00215-20110216-1615.jpg  
Unread 02-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #43
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

nice truck video. hope it doesnt rust out there in ny for ya. sounds like a stock car
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #44
BeachDriver
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I'd like to know about repositioning the brackets too. I never thought of relocating them.

Nice vid Beach, I can tell the difference, sounds way better! Bad to the bone couldn't be a better phrase.

And Beach, Here is a good write up i found that explains just about everything pertaining to gear ratio and what you'll need to know and buy to regear. http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/te...sta/Gear_Setup
And I was thinking of gearing to 4.11 with my 36" tires. I was also looking at the Detroit TrueTrac Locker. Here is a link:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTL-913A590/?rtype=10

But I came across a Stam on my Rear Diff when cleaning. It states Up top a ID number: 5358481. And beneath that number is a ratio set up (I think) which says: 45-11 4.09. Does this mean It's been regeared already with a ratio of 4.09? Based on Beachs link to ifsja that tag i posted a pic of is the gear ratio. Also the drain plug on the rear diff has an aftermarket brand name on it. Can't remember what brand it was off the top of my head.
Thanks and yes, she's much quieter now. And thank you also for those links.....very helpful to me.

Looks to me that 4:09 is the ratio so maybe another axle housing was swapped in from original? Since this full size Jeep forum doesn't get a lot of eyeballs maybe also post your photos and info in the engine and drivetrain forum here being that it seems to get a lot more eyeballs then this forum does....The low traffic here in this forum is why I posted in your thread instead of making a separate one hoping to get at least one good thread ( yours ) going and attracting more people.

Here is the other forum

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/

And how did you get that so clean looking? Looks awesome.
Unread 02-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #45
BeachDriver
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1080 View Post
nice truck video. hope it doesnt rust out there in ny for ya. sounds like a stock car
Thanks and the gentleman I bought it from had it always garaged and then in storage..And he bought it from the original owner, who happened to be his business partner, and he also kept it garaged.

But what rust it did have due to the salt used on the roads here and being so close to salt water the guy I bought it from repaired...He himself had a 1987 J10 and he swapped in some body parts from that into this 78.....in addition to the engine ( after taking it out and building it up ), the transfer case and the torqueflite 727 he took out of his 87.

And I don't have a garage which bothers me greatly...I sure have plenty of backyard for it but everytime I want to have one built something seems to come up and money needs to be spent elsewhere.....now being older and in not good health a garage is looking more and more like it won't happen....I keep telling myself to get down to one, maybe two vehicles max for myself but being an old racer and into cars and trucks my entire life I just can't seem to give them up.....I'm one of those cats that would love to get buried inside of my Jeep or even into one of my 80's Lincoln Town Cars that I have...freaking yachts on land.....I've had the same girlfriend for over 20 years and she is more than willing to see to it I get buried in my backyard in the vehicle of my choice.....She's a keeper

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.