J10 frame building - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > J10 frame building

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
Ennui_Bliss
2004 TJ Wrangler 

J10 frame building

Ok, so there is an 83' J10 for $500 that I am looking at buying. Without boring everyone with details, the bottom line is the truck is good to go with the exception of the frame. At the cross member near the back of the bed, there is about 5 inches of rotted frame on the passengers side. By rotted, I mean mostly gone with a strip about 2 inches wide holding rear section of the frame to the rest of the truck. From what I have been told, patch kits are available in some of the common places where FSJ frames have rusted out. To be honest, I think I should just get a new frame and start over, mostly because the rest of the frame is pretty rusty too. What I would like to know is this: how difficult would it be to just build a new fully boxed frame from scratch Vs. trying to find a used/aftermarket frame, and would it be worth the extra money to buy instead of build. Ether way, there will be a frame swap, so telling me that the transplant isn't worth the hassle won't really help. The body and drive train are in good shape, so to me the swap isn't pointless. Any thoughts on the frame would be appreciated.

Ennui_Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

If you could figure a way, I have an '83 longbox with excellent frame I'm about to part (axles for one project and cab box are going on my son's rig) but it's in Seattle
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Ennui_Bliss
2004 TJ Wrangler 

hmm.... the "now mine" 83' is a short bed. I guess chopping it it would work, but shipping a frame from WA to OH would be a little too pricy. Thanks for the offer though.
Unread 12-02-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
jsc7002
1966 CJ5 

I would make one, if you take your time and make plenty of measurements you'll be fine, Id make my own if the frame was rusted out bc Id make it way stronger than the stock frame and Id have it all boxed in.
Unread 12-05-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think having a frame shipped will be that pricey compared to fabing one. There's jeep junk yards out west. Collins brothers has junked jeeps for starters. I found a nice J-10 bed in cally for 600.00$ a couple of years ago. They would have it shipped to my door for less than a grand and I live near cleveland. Also check local states such as W,Va. They used coal senders on the roads for years instead of salt. A used frame will have your mounting points, it just be a lot less hassle in the end. I've had a couple of J-10's that I bought here in ohio that had good frames. Frames for the most part are pretty sturdy on FSJ. Finding a good frame local shouldn't be that hard. I wonder how much difference there is between a full size cherokee frame and a J-10, since there is a lot more cherokee's around.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

It costs about $1,000 to ship a whole truck from here to there
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
Ennui_Bliss
2004 TJ Wrangler 

From what I understand, J truck frames are not the same as the older cherokee frames, or the wagoneers. The J truck frames are wider than the other two.

EDIT: by wider, I mean too wide for a direct swap. Some of the old timers around here say that you can cut up the frames and use them as patches for each other though. Not too sure how accurate the patching info is, but I'm fairly sure about the frame widths though.

Last edited by Ennui_Bliss; 12-13-2009 at 01:42 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.