J-series info... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > J-series info...

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #1
Giviner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

J-series info...

This is just a general feeler thread. I am considering a buildup of a J-series truck some time in the (distant) future. I love jeeps and I've always wanted a pickup so I decided to turn it into an excuse to do a build.

After doing a bit of searching there really isn't a lot of info on the j-series trucks out there (at least not that I could find) so I thought I would pick the brains of you pickup guys and see if you can steer me in the proper direction.

Still not sure how exactly I want to build this up (only been batting the idea around for a few weeks) but I do know I want to be able to drive it both on and off road. Any wheeling will probably be light, so i'm thinking 33-35's. Axles and motor will depend on what I end up getting stock.

So, I suppose what i'm looking for is which models should I keep an eye out for and which ones should I avoid. Also any sites or online resources would be awesome.

Thanks!

Giviner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Kali
1982 J-Series Truck 

ifsja.org go to the tech library and the message forums you wont find more informaton anywhere, gauranteed.

these trucks make very cool wheeler/on road drivers. 33-35 inch tires require only a lift kit and a few other small parts, no major modifications. 33s fit with 4 inches of lift, 35s with 6 inches.

you want to be looking for trucks 76-88 because the frame was altered for 76 and MOST lift kits cover these years, and FEW cover the rest. Also after 74 the trucks have a lot of standard features that are desirable (PS PB disc front brakes open knuckles etc etc).

After that its up to you which drivetrain you want. 76-79 they used the th400 and quadratrac and 80-88 they used the tf727 and np208 (for the most part). If you go manual you are looking at the t-18 and d20 or the t-176 and np208, respectively. the 258 was standard every year but it seems to me the 360 got special ordered A LOT and the 401 is rare and extremely desirable. axles were passenger side drop 76-79, drivers side 80-88... dana 44 every year. offset rear 44 for the QT and centered amc20 for the NPs. The model20 in the full size trucks were upgraded versions of the CJ ones and are arguably as strong or slightly stronger than a 44.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2008, 02:17 AM   #3
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

I think I cornered the market on the J trucks here in Seattle (I own just about 1/2 them probably) The TH400 was the auto used from start to FSJ production (except with the 232 and 230 6 cyls which got Borg Warner unless someone found one with an adapter ring?) D20 was used til '73 (when Quadratrac came out)
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2008, 03:34 AM   #4
OzarkHoncho
1977 J-Series Truck 

Hey,

Welcome to the club, man. I just got a '77 Honcho out here in NW Arkansas. It's running nicely, but there's a lot of work/mods to be done with it. It's just about impossible to find decent info online. I'll try to keep you in mind as I build up mine. So far, I know the interiors of the J-series are pretty interchangeable with G Wagoneers. I also know that the AMC 360 is definitely the best choice for any J-10. Mine isn't a step-side, but who says it can't be one in the future? grin...

Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.