J-10 project questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > J-10 project questions

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
drummerchukb1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

J-10 project questions

Im looking at starting a J-10 project. other than rust, should i look out for anything when buying the truck? is there an optimum setup?

does anyone have power numbers (hp and tq) for the v8 vs. the v6. are iether engine worth keeping or rebuilding, or should i find a newer v8 (or 6 cyl) drive train to swap (for power and mpg)?

It is a jeep so i know the mpg will suck, but does anyone have a range?

are there parts out there, or will everything be a fab job?

this seems like it would be a good project. I have a TJ now, but this seems like a whole new ball game. i might have more questions, i appreciate the help!

thanks, Charlie

drummerchukb1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

obviously a 258 will be better on gas but i sure love my warmed 401. i get 10 in town and 12-13 highway with th400 (no overdrive) 35 mts and 4.10 gearing. not bad mpg considering. my truck came from colorado and had almost no rust. floorboards will be rusty wherever. the only thing i would (will) change is adding fuel injection. i think the 74+ trucks have tons more parts. bjsoffroad.com. also, the 80+ tcases might not be able to handle brutal v8 power.
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
drummerchukb1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1080 View Post
obviously a 258 will be better on gas but i sure love my warmed 401. i get 10 in town and 12-13 highway with th400 (no overdrive) 35 mts and 4.10 gearing. not bad mpg considering. my truck came from colorado and had almost no rust. floorboards will be rusty wherever. the only thing i would (will) change is adding fuel injection. i think the 74+ trucks have tons more parts. bjsoffroad.com. also, the 80+ tcases might not be able to handle brutal v8 power.
so are there three engine options. the 258, 360, and 401? are the tranny and t case the same for both V8s?

are 4.10 stock gearing? i beleive i read in the axle section they have d44 front and rear, so they have a large gear range, all the way to 5.13, right?
Unread 07-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

4.10 for manual tranny i believe. the th400 was up til 79 with bw qt. after that im think its the tf727 with new process t cases. the 360 could be had with 2 or 4 barrel carb. j20 has hd 44 and dana 60 rear. i love my truck. ive had 3 xjs, 3 zjs (2 of which were 5.9), and other non jeeps. i personally LOVE the J truck. people are always honking and looking at it. i will never sell it
Unread 07-17-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
drummerchukb1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

thanks!

International Full Size Jeep Association

looks like i answered my own question about power. so i know the power of the engines, i know the axles and ratios of different j-10 trucks, i know potential milage. now the question is, if i do a J-10 project, would it be worth my time to swap the engine?

the power numbers on these engines arnt great, as expected for 70's technology, and they arnt efficient, also expected. if i got my hands on a newer v8 drive train, or even a good 6cyl drivetrain, would a swap be the best option, or are the stock v8s better than they seem?
Unread 07-18-2010, 06:18 AM   #6
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

better than they seem, imo. if i was to buy another one with bad engine or no drivetrain i would swap in a cummins.

Tags
gas mileage , power , project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.