Issues with my 88' Grand Wagoneer's power windows, power locks and rear tailgate? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Issues with my 88' Grand Wagoneer's power windows, power locks and rear tailgate?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!

Unread 05-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
ed1
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Issues with my 88' Grand Wagoneer's power windows, power locks and rear tailgate?

I'm new to Wagoneers so a few months ago I purchased a good 88' Grand wagoneer, the truck was a little abandoned for months I would say, maybe even years when I found out and bought it. Anyway, I've been slowly fixing it and I've come up with some issues regarding my power windows, locks and the rear tailgate and I'm looking for accessible solutions on this case. First the power locks don't work whatsoever, when I press the lock/unlock switch on the driver's or passenger side it won't do anything and the lock actuators are pretty hard. Second, my power windows, the front windows work fine although the passenger's side occasionally has hard time going down, like wanting to get stuck and the rear windows have power but they get stuck I have to use my hands in order to bring it back up, and again, it feels very hard. Finally, my tailgate, the window motor sounds good and strong, however it goes a little less than halfway down and I'm a little afraid to force it, also, the outside key lock for the tailgate doesn't work, it rotates all the way and it feels loose, I have to use the dashboard switch which works perfectly. Any ideas or suggestions on how to fix these little annoying problems? Thanks for your time.

ed1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
barlowchiro
1980 CJ7 

Have you checked the lifter channel in the tailgate? Mine did the same thing. Motor would make noise but the window would only move so much and wouldn't go up all the way. Most of the time those channels are rusty and broken. Take off the carpet on the tailgate and remove the access panel, that way you can see what is going on in there. My guess would be the lifter channel. They are readily available at BJs along with the lifter seal. Pretty easy to install. If that is the case, while you are in there you can check on the wiring to the rear switch. May be a case of loose or broken wires. Could be the rear window switch, you can find those on ebay sometimes. If you are going to replace the lifter channel, I would suggest getting an aftermarket set of studs that are on the ends of the regulator arms. Makes it much easier to install and holds it better in my opinion. Very easy to replace. I have the contact info for a guy that custom makes these.
barlowchiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
ed1
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

So we finished working with my Wagoneer's tailgate and yes the lifter and the side channels were filled with rust, it also needed plenty of lubrication. My tailgate window now works as it should, a little noisy for my taste but it finally works and I'm finally happy that I'm able to use my tailgate. Now, about my power locks. Is there a fuse or switch I should be looking for ? since I currently do not have any power locks and it would nice to be able to lock and unlock my truck. Thanks.
ed1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 03:20 AM   #4
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Probably start tracking components first. If you get no sound or action what so ever see if you have power at the drivers switch, if power there is good follow it down the line. It is tedious, but it also gives you a chance to clean all contacts on the way
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
G-Wag
1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

I have an 86 wagoneer and all the seals seem to be getting old. My windows were sticking also. I had bought some lithium grease for the locks and hinges, so I sprayed some in the window channels, seems to work. But I was looking on line and found something called Sil-Glyde for door sealers.
G-Wag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
G-Wag
1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well I bought the Sil-Glyde, applied it to my door and window gaskets tonight. See how it it'll turn out in the morning, made the rubber look new.
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
DotJumper
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Welcome to my world! Same year...same problems. Will be keeping an eye on your thread for anything else you find. And will post if I find anything.

So far have confirmed the window motors are all getting full 12v. But the one lock I've checked so far is only getting 6v. Am trying to hunt down the missing 6v.

Have new felts and scrappers to be installed for the windows. Hoping this will help the problems go away.
DotJumper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
G-Wag
1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well the Sil-Glyde worked, windows work great. I will still have to replace a couple of seals which are too fear gone. Just bought myself a little time.
So for my driver side window, it won't go down! Looks like I'll be staying out of the drive-thru lanes for a while!
Unread 06-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
G-Wag
1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well the Sil-Glyde worked, windows work great. I will still have to replace a couple of seals which are too far gone. Just bought myself a little time.
As for my driver side window, it won't go down! Looks like I'll be staying out of the drive-thru lanes for a while!

Tags
grand wagoneer , power door locks , power windows , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.