Issue with rear window not going up or down straight - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Issue with rear window not going up or down straight

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 03-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
mpatch
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Issue with rear window not going up or down straight

The back window on my 89 grand wangoneer goes up and down but not evenally. Were it eventaly gets stuck. Has anyone ran into this problem? Does anyone have a fix? Or a part I may need to buy.

Thanks for your help.

mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like either the guides are worn, or the regulator is not moving up the windows correctly, may have come off track.
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
Dave145
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

I would say your rear track is either rotted out or the window fell off the track a bit. Or one of your regulators may be sticking a bit.
Dave145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
mpatch
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Iam going to attempt to trouble shoot this tomorrow. Does anyone have directions or suggestions?
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
luckywagoneer
olllllllo

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
Iam going to attempt to trouble shoot this tomorrow. Does anyone have directions or suggestions?
Mine did the same and it turned out it was wiring pull the motor and see if it works if so rewire it. Its not to bad I just bypass the saftey swicht that goes to the side of the tialgate works like a peach and clean it up and lube it.
luckywagoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
mpatch
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ok so i have the back access plate off. Glass is down. Any directions from here would be good. Can i raise the glass with the gate open using the motor or do i need to do it by hand? I would like to get in there clean the area out and adjusts the window arms..does this make sense? Thanks
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
mpatch
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

I got in there and there was broken wires and stuff every where (possible reason reverse lights dont work). Most of this look like it comes from where the key goes in the latch. There is a case there with a broken lid on the inside of the tailgate. I also noticed that one side of the glass rails has rusted free or broke from the bolt on the regulator arms this is causing the issue with the glass going up and down wrong.

My question is what do i need to do to fix that and how do i get to it with limited access. Does the glass need to come all the way out? Do i need to buy a completely new part? I keep reading about tension on the springs that needs to be released any ideas on that? Last with all these broken wires and what not should i rewire the jeep? I would really like reverse lights but not sure that is where the problem is coming from. oh yea there is also a tore up cloth bare between the mid way and top of the tailgate..was that once a guide? Thanks
Unread 03-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #8
luckywagoneer
olllllllo

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
I got in there and there was broken wires and stuff every where (possible reason reverse lights dont work). Most of this look like it comes from where the key goes in the latch. There is a case there with a broken lid on the inside of the tailgate. I also noticed that one side of the glass rails has rusted free or broke from the bolt on the regulator arms this is causing the issue with the glass going up and down wrong.

My question is what do i need to do to fix that and how do i get to it with limited access. Does the glass need to come all the way out? Do i need to buy a completely new part? I keep reading about tension on the springs that needs to be released any ideas on that? Last with all these broken wires and what not should i rewire the jeep? I would really like reverse lights but not sure that is where the problem is coming from. oh yea there is also a tore up cloth bare between the mid way and top of the tailgate..was that once a guide? Thanks
Sounds like a rats best lol. First you will need to pull the window if its glued to the track it sits in remove it while connected to it by taking the locking washers off. Next get a diagram of the tial gate you can bypass the clocking on the back if you want it would be easier to get working these tailgate problems are a pian goodluck.
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
mpatch
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks for the help. But how to I remove the glass from the tracks. I will have to take of the locking washers, but do I need to working in that little space? Best place to place the track to get to the washers? Guess I am just wondering how its going to work with little space? And does anybody know if I can buy replacement bolts and washers instead of buying a whole new track? What size and type of bolt and washers go on there?

Thanks,
Unread 03-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
luckywagoneer
olllllllo

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Thanks for the help. But how to I remove the glass from the tracks. I will have to take of the locking washers, but do I need to working in that little space? Best place to place the track to get to the washers? Guess I am just wondering how its going to work with little space? And does anybody know if I can buy replacement bolts and washers instead of buying a whole new track? What size and type of bolt and washers go on there?

Thanks,
The thing is the window is in the way of the wires and motor to rewire. Take it off the track if you can if not the track is held on by only 2 lock washers no bolts pop them off to get the window out you should check out a diagram of how the tialgate works.
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

To take those lock washers out get a really long flathead screwdriver and pop them off. Then you can pull the glass. Put your gate down and remove the lock washers. Pop the arms off the channels, pull the glass up a bit. Disconnect the defrostwires or you will rip them off like I did. Pull up on one side and start pulling the complete glass and channel out from one of the corners. The window seal makes it difficult to pull out straight which is why I pulled it out on one side first and slid the window out. Use two people. I did it by myself but was worried about breaking it. Once the glass is out you can lay the glass on a table ( i used a set of floormats under the glass) and then using a sharp utility knife start cutting the gunk holding the frame in place. Slowly work it off. Mine broke as it was so rusted. Replace with a new gasket and frame and put it back in the way it came out. I stood the glass up on my carpet inside the house, started on one end and used a rubber mallet to work the new frame on. Take your time.
The hardest part of the job is putting the lock washers back in place. There is not a lot of room. I used a very small set of locking pliers to hold one side of the washer in place and then used the long screwdriver to push the other side on.
Hope that makes sense
Unread 03-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #12
mpatch
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Great - I think from everyones help I have a pretty good idea what to do. I think the area right behind the latch inside the tailgate is all damaged and broke about. What does this plastic housing hold. When I got into the tailgate I noticed lots of broken wires, a broken computer board type part (green with soder) and the plastic cover sitting at the bottom. The windor moter still works and so the key in the back latch. Does anybody no what these parts are and what I need to fix them.
Unread 03-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #13
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Need to post pics. I don't recall seeing any computer looking board back there at all.
I found a screwdriver in my gate.
Unread 03-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Is it a crushed defroster module
"Its a Jeep thing, and I still don't understand"
05 Renegade OME 927, 947, top plate, JBA 4.5s ,ST/MAXX 245/75/16
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
mpatch
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

That is what I was thinking. Question - how would it have got crushed..i know the window and all that but do I need to correct anything so it wont happen again. Second..is there a replacement I can get - Junk yard or through a company? The location of it...easy to replace? Thanks,

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.