Introducing my 1980 FSJ Golden Eagle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Introducing my 1980 FSJ Golden Eagle

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 07-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
HowlingSpear
1980 FSJ Cherokee 

Introducing my 1980 FSJ Golden Eagle

Hey all, new member here, I wanted to get my Jeep project at least started before joining and posting and listening to what those of you with superior knowledge can impart as I tend lovingly to this cared for vehicle. I got it started after a carburetor rebuild, runs smooth and great. Next step is to fix whatever happened to the gas tank support structure that rusted away and left me currently with an outboard boat motor gas tank in the trunk to run it while I fix it. I have the new gas tank in the trunk also, and I understand I need to do some welding first before I can install. Next up, is the clutch on this manual transmission, which is nearing the end of its life, so I really would like experienced advice on how to go about replacing it. I don't plan on doing the clutch myself since I am not a professional mechanic, but I would like to know if I should buy parts beyond the clutch plate to make this a more robust clutch with a long life. Here are a couple quick pics!

jeepoutside.jpg

jeep2014b.jpg

HowlingSpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #2
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Nice rig!
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice! Original paint and decals?
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
HowlingSpear
1980 FSJ Cherokee 

Everything on this Jeep is original and stock. I wish there was no rust, but what are you gonna do… I intend on keeping it original and stock. Does anybody know any tips on getting new decals in case I have to cut some away in the eventual body work near the wheel wells? I will be removing the running boards because over the years water would always collect inside near driver/passenger feet area under the carpeting. It was always tended to and dried but it has to be stopped at the source now. It does suffer the dreaded gas tank chassis rust, as noted above, so that is the next step.
Unread 07-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
HowlingSpear
1980 FSJ Cherokee 

Here are some pics under the hood. So far all is nice under there.
jeepengbay1.jpg

jeepengbay2.jpg

jeepengbay3jpg.jpg

Unread 07-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
AF-Jeff
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Rather than remove the stepsides why not drill a drain hole or grind a channel to let the steps drain easier. Then reseal the trouble spots and you are good to go
AF-Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 12:03 AM   #7
HowlingSpear
1980 FSJ Cherokee 

That's a good idea once I figure out why water is being trapped and fix the body rust.
Unread 07-22-2014, 02:52 AM   #8
HowlingSpear
1980 FSJ Cherokee 

Looked around on the net for parts that need replacing, I found a windshield washer bottle that should fit a range of Grand Wagoneers as well as this model Cherokee, they don't look to have changed much if at all. Also, a Clutch Disc Assembly Kit and a Flywheel. If anyone has done and posted about installing the Clutch Kit, please direct me to any links, as I cannot find any yet.
Unread 07-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

The water is trapped because the vent drain on the bottom is clogged or was sealed by a PO. Water gets in there from seals on the side windows leaking, rear door/window leaking water into the deck inside which gets sloshed to the sides. Another way water gets in is the stupid way Jeep used nails through the floor spot welded (but not sealed) and bent over to hold the carpet in place at the wheel wells.
I open the areas up and use a wire wheel on a cable drive to loosen any rust (don't forget the face mask!) and vacuum it out then spray in rust converter a couple layers thick and top with rust paint. (assuming they aren't already rotted out)

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 02:34 PM   #10
HowlingSpear
1980 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuck View Post
The water is trapped because the vent drain on the bottom is clogged or was sealed by a PO. Water gets in there from seals on the side windows leaking, rear door/window leaking water into the deck inside which gets sloshed to the sides. Another way water gets in is the stupid way Jeep used nails through the floor spot welded (but not sealed) and bent over to hold the carpet in place at the wheel wells.
I open the areas up and use a wire wheel on a cable drive to loosen any rust (don't forget the face mask!) and vacuum it out then spray in rust converter a couple layers thick and top with rust paint. (assuming they aren't already rotted out)
Thanks man, you are right on the money here! I can post pics of prior preventative maintenance under the carpet to give you a better idea of what is/has been done, and I will take those running boards off to inspect the vent drain/water flow situation.
Unread 07-23-2014, 12:09 AM   #11
HowlingSpear
1980 FSJ Cherokee 

Now some underneath pics near the drivetrain! The old gas tank and skid plate are removed, and I have new ones ready to be put in. You will notice the typical famous left frame rail rust disintegration, and I have included one pic of the stainless steel that will be welded in place to bring back what was rusted away before installing the gas tank where it belongs.
leftframerail.jpg

tankarea1.jpg

tankarea2.jpg

customweldpieces.jpg

Unread 07-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #12
Idahojeeps
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Nice Jeep!
Unread 07-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #13
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

regarding your decals, if they don't yet offer them, I bet they could make them for you http://phoenixgraphics.com/

awesome Jeep!!!
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.