intermittent starting/stalling. driving me nuts! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > intermittent starting/stalling. driving me nuts!

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 11-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
mnGrandWagoneer
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

intermittent starting/stalling. driving me nuts!

Hey guys i'm newer to the world of fsj and i can't figure out what's causing my starting issues. i have an 89 grand wagoneer with a 360 amc that won't start most days (usually the colder ones) and if i do get it started it will usually bog way down or stall out when going from braking or stopped to acceleration. i had brand new exhaust built from headers back, and recently put in an hei distributor and a brand new battery. i have a replacement mechanical fuel pump i can put in but every time i go to put it in i turn the key to see if it will start and it does. i'm also wondering if maybe it could be a vacuum issue being as i removed some of the emissions stuff that had to go with the exhaust. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated i'm at a loss and fairly new to jeeps (and carburated engines). i can provide more information if needed thanks!

mnGrandWagoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Might be the power valve is blown. Going to dump extra gas in. This will cause a problem when the choke is on more than what it isn't. Might explain the bogg too.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
mnGrandWagoneer
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

where is that located?
Unread 11-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

inside the carb. a carb rebuild would fix that. $30 bucks if you can follow some basic instructions and work with a screwdriver, more if you pay somebody to do it.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
mnGrandWagoneer
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

ok i'll give that a shot. any chance it could be the accelerator pump or timing advance problem?
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

accelerator pump would be cured by the carb rebuild. shouldnt be the accelerator pump, that would only cause bogging problems when you step on the gas stopm a stop, shouldnt cause stalling or hard starts.

could be vacuum, have you hooked up a vacuum gauge to see what you're running?

To find vacuum leaks, spray carb cleaner allllll over the place. Anywhere there's a leak, it'll suck in the carb cleaner and the engine will bog down.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
mnGrandWagoneer
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Update- I by chance noticed my distributor had somehow come a little loose and was a few degrees retarded, i re-timed it by ear and that smoothed the idle and cured the bogging/stalling issue, however the starting on a cold day is still a major issue. I bought a jump pack today (by some miracle my jeep started!) because it's turning over pretty slow despite having just bought a battery. Tomorrow i'm going to try that and see if maybe my starter is getting bad and drawing excess amperage. Depending on those results i'm going to follow that up with a carb rebuild. The question i'm now wondering is how do i get the right re-build kit for a motorcraft carb rebuilt by holley? And is there any other possible fix i should check out while i'm in there.
Thanks guys!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.