JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Full Size Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/)
-   -   intermittent starting/stalling. driving me nuts! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/intermittent-starting-stalling-driving-me-nuts-1439502/)

mnGrandWagoneer 11-18-2012 10:20 AM

intermittent starting/stalling. driving me nuts!

Hey guys i'm newer to the world of fsj and i can't figure out what's causing my starting issues. i have an 89 grand wagoneer with a 360 amc that won't start most days (usually the colder ones) and if i do get it started it will usually bog way down or stall out when going from braking or stopped to acceleration. i had brand new exhaust built from headers back, and recently put in an hei distributor and a brand new battery. i have a replacement mechanical fuel pump i can put in but every time i go to put it in i turn the key to see if it will start and it does. i'm also wondering if maybe it could be a vacuum issue being as i removed some of the emissions stuff that had to go with the exhaust. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated i'm at a loss and fairly new to jeeps (and carburated engines). i can provide more information if needed thanks!

olliehopnoodle 11-18-2012 10:26 AM

Might be the power valve is blown. Going to dump extra gas in. This will cause a problem when the choke is on more than what it isn't. Might explain the bogg too.

mnGrandWagoneer 11-18-2012 10:57 AM

where is that located?

Dr. Marneaus 11-18-2012 06:58 PM

inside the carb. a carb rebuild would fix that. $30 bucks if you can follow some basic instructions and work with a screwdriver, more if you pay somebody to do it.

mnGrandWagoneer 11-18-2012 08:04 PM

ok i'll give that a shot. any chance it could be the accelerator pump or timing advance problem?

Dr. Marneaus 11-18-2012 11:47 PM

accelerator pump would be cured by the carb rebuild. shouldnt be the accelerator pump, that would only cause bogging problems when you step on the gas stopm a stop, shouldnt cause stalling or hard starts.

could be vacuum, have you hooked up a vacuum gauge to see what you're running?

To find vacuum leaks, spray carb cleaner allllll over the place. Anywhere there's a leak, it'll suck in the carb cleaner and the engine will bog down.

mnGrandWagoneer 11-30-2012 04:20 PM

Update- I by chance noticed my distributor had somehow come a little loose and was a few degrees retarded, i re-timed it by ear and that smoothed the idle and cured the bogging/stalling issue, however the starting on a cold day is still a major issue. I bought a jump pack today (by some miracle my jeep started!) because it's turning over pretty slow despite having just bought a battery. Tomorrow i'm going to try that and see if maybe my starter is getting bad and drawing excess amperage. Depending on those results i'm going to follow that up with a carb rebuild. The question i'm now wondering is how do i get the right re-build kit for a motorcraft carb rebuilt by holley? And is there any other possible fix i should check out while i'm in there.
Thanks guys!

The time now is 08:14 AM.