Interchangable parts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Interchangable parts?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Hey Guys - Extreme Terrain Jeep Outfitters - ExtremeTerraiThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-31-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
gixxerphil

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Interchangable parts?

Can anyone give me a definitive answer as to what dash will swap into my 79? I know the gauge cluster was the same from 73-85, but I swear I have read where an 86-91 will swap in.

Also, I have a lead on an 85 with a np229(I assume, I know it has the switch for 2wd/4wd). I know I will need to swap the front axle, 727 for my th400 and of course the np229. Is this something that can be bolted in, or will I need to have someone fab something? It is not a must, just would like to have the 2wd option

The 85 has the tan interior, so I would swap the entire dash out of my 79 b/c it's black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
can you get a good pic of your muff set up ?
gixxerphil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
gixxerphil

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Also, what's the largest tire I can put on a stock susp, how do I get better MPG's and more power?

Quote:
Unread 12-31-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
CSP

No answer for you on the instrument cluster, but larger tires are going to give you the opposite of better MPG's and more power.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
lindel
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The 86 - 91 won't swap in, not without a lot of mod work. For one, you'll have to figure out something for the heater/defroster controls, because the 86 - 91 cluster has no provision for them, those controls moved to just above the radio. The under-dash supporting structure isn't there either.

You can literally swap in any year dash pad, but you might have to paint, or do some other type of coverup work if you swap in a Cherokee/J-truck dash pad. I think you'll be ok with the 79 to 85 swap.

For the drivetrain, front axle would need to be done, you might have to rework some of the exhaust to properly clear the new driveshaft, etc., the QT switch in the glove box is the same as the 2wd - 4wd switch on the 85. The low range - high range lever will work the same, shouldn't be much of an issue. Is the 85 front axle a disconnect axle? I forget, but if it is, you can lock it into place and get around that little issue, then you'll have shift on the fly, like later FSJs.

The largest tire you can fit would be a 31" without installing a lift.

Mileage?? Power?? Seriously, let it breathe is the correct answer. You're good on the exhaust manifold (headers won't help that much, certainly not for what they'll cost), but the exhaust pipes can be opened up some, a better flowing cat and muffler will also help. You've already switched to a better manifold and carb, so the next upgrade would be a better cam, the Edelbrock Performer is a good all-round choice. A better ignition (either the Ford TFI or a DUI dizzy) will be a big help, it'll allow you to open the spark plug gap some. Check and re-check your timing, IIRC, 8* BTDC is what you want. FI of some sort won't get you better mileage, but it'll help on driveablility and off-camber stuff.
lindel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
gixxerphil

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindel View Post
The 86 - 91 won't swap in, not without a lot of mod work. For one, you'll have to figure out something for the heater/defroster controls, because the 86 - 91 cluster has no provision for them, those controls moved to just above the radio. The under-dash supporting structure isn't there either.

You can literally swap in any year dash pad, but you might have to paint, or do some other type of coverup work if you swap in a Cherokee/J-truck dash pad. I think you'll be ok with the 79 to 85 swap.

For the drivetrain, front axle would need to be done, you might have to rework some of the exhaust to properly clear the new driveshaft, etc., the QT switch in the glove box is the same as the 2wd - 4wd switch on the 85. The low range - high range lever will work the same, shouldn't be much of an issue. Is the 85 front axle a disconnect axle? I forget, but if it is, you can lock it into place and get around that little issue, then you'll have shift on the fly, like later FSJs..
Thanks Lindel, that is exactly what I needed My dash pad is the only thing that is toast on mine. It even has the stock radio, so it's unmolested. Good to know about the glove box control.
As far as the exhaust, I have to redo mine anyway b/c I put headman headers(my stock one was cracked and I got the new ones cheaper than I could find a stock one) on as part of the rebuild, so I may just wait and see if I can pick up the 85.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindel View Post
The largest tire you can fit would be a 31" without installing a lift.

Mileage?? Power?? Seriously, let it breathe is the correct answer. You're good on the exhaust manifold (headers won't help that much, certainly not for what they'll cost), but the exhaust pipes can be opened up some, a better flowing cat and muffler will also help. You've already switched to a better manifold and carb, so the next upgrade would be a better cam, the Edelbrock Performer is a good all-round choice. A better ignition (either the Ford TFI or a DUI dizzy) will be a big help, it'll allow you to open the spark plug gap some. Check and re-check your timing, IIRC, 8* BTDC is what you want. FI of some sort won't get you better mileage, but it'll help on driveablility and off-camber stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
No answer for you on the instrument cluster, but larger tires are going to give you the opposite of better MPG's and more power.
I was just trying to make a joke
I don't care about MPG's and all that....I DD a wrangler

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.