Intake manifold gasket, using non valley pan style? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Intake manifold gasket, using non valley pan style?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
cherokeechief77
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Intake manifold gasket, using non valley pan style?

I've been trying for 3 days now unsuccessfully to try and put in a new intake manifold gasket in my 77 Cherokee 401. The gasket is valley pan style, and every time u put the manifold on it, it just moves a tad, and u can't line it up with the bolt holes. I've tried every kind of adhesive, had a mechanic try his hand at it, and even he failed. So we were thinking of using some aftermarket gaskets like these instead of valley pan style.

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...mrg-800g_w.jpg

Any one know of any serious repercussions to that?

Last edited by cherokeechief77; 06-13-2011 at 08:57 PM..
cherokeechief77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Supposedly hot oil will hit the bottom of the intake and create some issues without the valley pan.

When you are installing the valley pan, are you putting RTV around all of the ports like you are supposed to? This should keep the gasket glued in place for when you drop your manifold on it.
Unread 06-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
cherokeechief77
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

I have tried the RTV on all the ports just like i'm supposed to. It does hold it in place, but the weight of the manifold bows down the center of the valley pan and breaks the seal in a few spots causing that shifting. I promise you I've applies every sealant and adhesive in the book correctly, and tried every trick/method. Do you think that the hot oil would actually hit the manifold and cause issues? Or do you think i could get away with it? cuz it would make my life a hell of a lot easier.
Unread 06-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #4
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

those look similar to the ones I put on my 350. PITA
Unread 06-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
cherokeechief77
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Yes, but will it do the job? Or will that oil cause me some serious issues?
Unread 06-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Here is what people say if you don't use it, this is from Edelbrock but the same principle applies:

The Edelbrock catalog and the instructions for an Edelbrock intake say's "must use factory metal valley try gasket". That is because if you don't you will most likley end up sucking oil up into the PCV, not to mention the hot oil splashing up and heating the intake manifold and the fuel going into the cylinders.

Also, why would AMC put it on if it wasn't necessary?
Unread 06-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
megajeep
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

I had a lot of trouble getting my gasket to sit still like you. Mostly at the back of the engine. Until I discovered that the bolt holes through the gasket had a lip around them that caused the gasket to snap into place. It took a little work to snap it in. The gasket was loaded like a spring but once it snapped into place it did not move.

Check the gasket for that lip and make sure you did not flatten them. And don't give up placing the gasket until you feel and hear it lock into place.
megajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
cherokeechief77
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Ok, I now have to admit that I need a Valley Pan! I've heard another interesting solution to the problem, that is to cut the "gasket" or top of the valley pan off on each side with a dremel, and then use silicone to seal the cut off pieces like a normal gasket. Then cut the remaining tray down an inch or so, and pop it in separately. So you have the functionality of the valley pan and the gasket still, but with just a half inch of space between each and not all that pesky movement. Anyone see any problems with this, cuz it sounds like heaven to me.
Unread 06-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
slayer2000

I've never tried this on an amc but one trick I've used to use a piece of fishing line to tie the gasket up. I've run a piece of line though the bolt holes and gasket holes and then tied it up at the top of the holes. after you set the manifold in place and start a few bolts so it can't move just cut the string and pull it out. This worked for me on a pain in the butt 350 I worked on but like I said I've never tried it on an amc with a valley pan type gasket. Either way good luck with it.
slayer2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by megajeep View Post
I had a lot of trouble getting my gasket to sit still like you. Mostly at the back of the engine. Until I discovered that the bolt holes through the gasket had a lip around them that caused the gasket to snap into place. It took a little work to snap it in. The gasket was loaded like a spring but once it snapped into place it did not move.

Check the gasket for that lip and make sure you did not flatten them. And don't give up placing the gasket until you feel and hear it lock into place.
that's the way!

So glad I was following this thread before I did mine !
Unread 07-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
cherokeechief77
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

Yahhh, it was such a pain in the ***! But she's all installed and purring like butter now.

Tags
cherokee , intake manifold

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.