Input on my long term build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Input on my long term build

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #1
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

After the drive train is to my liking the interior is next.

As soon as I get back to Texas I am getting some wire loom and cleaning up the engine compartment, mounting my tach, and ripping my carpet out. I want to clean it all up with a wire wheel and bed line the interior.

There are no other donor FSJ's around so I am going to take all the door panels off and make templates to take to the machine shop and have thin aluminum diamond plate cut to replace the ones that are warped and falling off.

Then the seats will be next. Does anyone know of any saddle blanket seat covers for the wagoner?
I also want to find a way to saddle blanket myheadliner.

I am debating ditching the armrest and making a vented toggle box with relays inside cooled by a computer fan and rewiring the whole system as I go. I might try to fit a optima in it too since its a sealed battery and would be nice and hidden.

Next the stereo. I have some 12"s and a head unit. I was thinking marine speakers in the doors because of their water resistance, and the exterior will eventually be painted white and the diamond plate will too.

Replacing the overflow tank and washer reservoir with aluminum ones. I'd be using the washer res for methanol injection when I put a little nitrous on it. And for insurance when I get low grade gas, climbing steep grades, or am towing. And using my A/C bracket for a welding alternator.

Remove the vacuum crap, cruise, evap can, install a hydro boost and clean it all up to later pull the body to have it painted while I treat the frame with POR 15. This would be when I put in a new tranny if I built an OD or stick to put in.

As for paint I have been thinking just a standard white with several coats and a little red pin striping like the old school boys had. Maybe touch up the Golden Eagle rims.

Then the other crap like a roof rack, winch, bumpers, and another 2" of lift for 33" and 4.56 gears with in D60's with a Burban 40 gal tank with a transfer pump to fill my primary tank on the go.
I was thinking 6" pipe bumpers front and back with a mount for the winch up front. The piping would be painted with POR15 inside and out. Then sealed with threaded caps and drain plugs so I can run air tools from them and they can be huge storage tanks for an on board air system.

I also thought about cutting the floor out from under the rear seat and making the deepest box I can for chains, tools, spare parts, hoses, weld leads, first aid, and a second sealed battery powering a marine stereo amp. It would be insulated with dynomat to keep the noise down if things move around and have a partition for the electronics.

By this time my beefy engine will be pushing a lot of weight so I will probably be back to a little faster than stock performance with a little boost when I need it. If its not enough Ill sell the 401 to a good home. Then I would throw in a Perkins 6cylinder out of a GM we have laying around, or a 12 valve that's turned up. I'd still put the NOS and meth on it.

My end goal is a go anywhere vehicle I can access remote villages and communities with anywhere in the world. I also want to be able to get my family out of dodge quick if things get hairy.

Feel free to chime in on my ideas.

Unread 04-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Sounds good. May want to think about the air tanks in the bumpers. Don't wanna smash on a rock, and have it blow up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.