Ignition/Starter "Event" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Ignition/Starter "Event"

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ignition/Starter "Event"

Hi all,
Just went out to start the 87 GW, and had an event that I haven't experienced before. Turned the key, engine turns over, release the key, starter stays engaged/spinning, entirely remove key, starter still engaged/spinning. Reinsert key to start, pump gas, engine turns over/starts, starter still engaged/spinning. Engine stalls, starter spinning/grinding (ack sounds like metal bolts in a blender), turn key again while pumping gas, engine starts, starter disengages (finally) and runs normally. Turn off engine, re-start, no issues. Drive around the block, turn off - restart, no issues. The truck sat for over a week and we've had an uncharachertistic cold spell, but I'm thinking it's a solenoid issue? Appreciate your thoughts here. Don't want to burn out the starter or trash the flywheel.

1987GW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

X2 on solenoid
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRollin View Post
X2 on solenoid
Thanks - going to order a Starter Relay as well, and do both at once just to be on the safe side!
Unread 01-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

agree on that. don't buy the cheap one
Unread 01-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

I keep a 1/2" wrench handy so when this happens I can disconnect the battery really quick.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
jogde479
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

If your solenoid doesn't fix the problem you may want to look at the ignition switch. Maybe it's sticking in start instead of switching back to run? You can actually take it out while still connected and start it with a screwdriver or something, although it could just be bad in which case that wouldn't work. It's easy to get to and cheap to replace if you're still having issues...
jogde479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogde479 View Post
If your solenoid doesn't fix the problem you may want to look at the ignition switch. Maybe it's sticking in start instead of switching back to run? You can actually take it out while still connected and start it with a screwdriver or something, although it could just be bad in which case that wouldn't work. It's easy to get to and cheap to replace if you're still having issues...
thanks - I'll keep that in mind!
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Can anybody let me know where the starter relay lives? I replaced the Solenoid - was easy to find, but I can find the relay? Went to the follow link as a source, but I can't find it in my GW. What am I not seeing??

http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/JeepWireRepairTech.pdf

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.