ignition - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > ignition

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
biggerhammer10
1976 CJ10 

ignition

has anyone used the pertronix kits for the stock distributor body? how did it work?, have an HEI right now, but after installing the airgap manifold, there is a decided lack of space to rotate the body for timing purposes, so would like a smaller base distributor to gain more clearance, but don't want to use the stock type ford ignition box.

biggerhammer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
CSP

Which stock distributor body are you referring to? Your '76 would have used the Prestolite ignition, not the Ford Duraspark found in later years.

IMO, it would be a step backwards to install a points distributor in order to use the Pertronix conversion kit. If it were mine I would use the '78-91 Duraspark distributor with a GM HEI ignition module or a Capacitive Discharge ignition module like MSD.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
biggerhammer10
1976 CJ10 

hei

I currently have an HEI dizzy, but it contacts both the intake manifold and the bypass outlet on the thermostat housing, so I cannot time it properly, and it doesn't want to set all the way down in the boss, so figured I would get a pertronix kit and coil to install a smaller based dizzy for clearance.
biggerhammer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
rkent47
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

CSP: I have just gotten an '89 Grand. We had a few full-sized Jeeps back before my sons outgrew them, so this is really great!! I am having trouble with no spark at this point and have read a couple of posts in this forum regarding resistor wire and replacing the AMC ignition module with a "GM HEI ignition module." We have a really great "ewe-pullet" junk yard not far from me that I suspect would have what I need - cheap. But I would need to know what to pull. Can you give me an idea of what I would be looking for?

Thanks ahead of time,

Kent
rkent47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Check out this thread. I think it may prove useful to you. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ig...jeeps-1302352/

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
CSP

That thread is really geared to those with the '75-77 Prestolite ignition system or the '74 and older points systems. A good chunk of it is not-applicable to what rkent47 is asking about and it's definitely not what the OP is asking about.

rkent47 I suggest to go to Google and search on "Jeep stealth HEI". You'll find links that are applicable to the '78-91 Duraspark ignition system.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Oops! My mistake!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
rkent47
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Great, thanks CSP. I just read the article by "Junk Yard Genius" and it was great! I am thinking that I will be doing the HEI conversion even if my OEM module is not fried at this point.

Kent

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.