I am finally an FSJ owner... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > I am finally an FSJ owner...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 07-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
Derb
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

I am finally an FSJ owner...

Today I bought myself a 1991 Grand Wagoneer. It is in pretty good shape. Only one minor dent in the front passenger side right behind the bumper. Interior is better than I expected for an AZ vehicle. The drivers seat is tore up, but the rest is pretty nice. The PO removed the headliner, but never got around to replacing it. It only has the old foam on the roof now. It has a 4" Rusty's lift on it, which seems a bit springy to me, but this is my first lifted vehicle so I don't have anything to compare it to. Not sure how old the lift is, it was on there when the PO bought it.

It also came with extra glass for the tailgate, 2 rear windows, as well as motors for a few windows. There were 2 mirrors, some lenses, and other stuff in the box, but not sure what all else is there. Also got an extra grill and roof rack.

So far the bad that I could see from driving it home is there seemed to be a lot of extra play/room in the steering. The radiator shroud is not on it. It did fine on the freeway on the drive home, but got to 220 when I hit the taco bell drive thru. It did come with a new shroud tho. Anyone know what the normal running temp is for these things?

Also it is running a bit rough. The PO thinks the carb needs rebuilt. He rebuilt the stock/original carb about 3 years ago and put it back on because he couldn't get it to pass emissions with the Holley that was on it.

Do these things seem to have a preference when it comes to Carbs? Should I stick with the stock one and just rebuild it again?

Overall it is pretty solid. Just some minor issues to deal with. I don't think I did bad with getting it at $3750. This was the nicest one I have seen listed around here in months. And I have been looking since way back when I asked for advice on what years to look at. I'll snap some pictures tomorrow when the rain lets up.

have a good one all!

Last edited by Derb; 07-17-2013 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: typos
Derb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:37 AM   #2
jeeper54

Rain? I haven't seen any from the last 3 storms unless you count the brown stuff! The steering is set up very light & touchy much like earlier GM luxury vehicles. The t-stat should be 195* IIFC so operating temp. should be in that range to maybe 210*. A fan shroud will definately help @ low speed & idleing. Stock carb. should be a MC 2150 & that is what I would stick with. Good @ angles and has altitute compensation. Failing emissions is common for these vehicles but a lot of advice here and at IFSJA on what to do. Congratulations on your purchase and looking forward to pics! JimBob
jeeper54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:56 AM   #3
wvrefugee
1979 CJ7 

Congrats and welcome.....or maybe condolences!! )
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Mine the day I took delivery.
A Holley should be able to be tuned to pass emissions just fine all depends on the tuner and equipment you have available. Wide Band 02/5Gas analyzer etc. The problem comes with trying to tune on today's blended fuels using the old school methods of reading plugs/vac gauge etc. Certainly can get it running well but maybe not pass smog. The MotorCraft carbs are good carbs I personally am not a fan of a 2 barrel as a 4 barrel with smaller primaries when properly tuned will deliver better low end TQ and economy plus provide the added UMPH when you want/need it.
My 90 needed a ton of work even though most of the interior/seats etc had already been redone.

I rebuilt all my window motors and lock servos myself and they have served well for about a year now.

The steering will involve replacing all of the joints/rod ends and in my case I replaced all the ball joints and bearings in the front axle as well. I installed a new Rag Joint on the steering shaft which took up any remaining play. (U joint shaft or XJ lower shaft is a good upgrade I went the cheap route on a rag joint for 15 bucks)

Upgrade the ignition to a modern TFI coil/cap/rotor/ you can add an HEI to control the system in Lieu of the duraspark box on the driver inner fender or go all out on an MSD etc. Any of those upgrades will provide better response and economy. Plus cleaner exhaust output.

The fan shroud with a good clutch will be mandatory. 220 is on the warm side but wont hurt it. I replaced my radiator with a good aluminum cored one with more tubes/in than the factory 3 row brass unit. It was about 160.00 at Orielly and even with my fans turned off (electric fan conversion for colder AC and more MPG) it wont run much over 200 as long as I am doing 30+mph. With AC full blast and 105 temps outside I can idle for an hour without breaking 200. Same in traffic. The E-fan is a great upgrade but not cheap to do it correctly. Expect to spend about 300.00 there.

My factory 78amp alt was giving up on me so i swapped to a CS144 (144amp) police unit. The CS144 will put out more charge at idle than aftermarket 200amp units in the same form factor. Again lifetime unit at Orielly. Great upgrade as voltage stays solid under all loads at 14.4.

check out my site for some of the other pics and things.

Congrats on it! Get some good gloves and turn some wrenches!
wagon-day-1.jpg

===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Oh and I gave 5k for mine... which was too high.
AC blew cold and was already converted to 134a, you have the same Sanden compressor as I do so if the system is holding charge/vacuum you DO NOT NEED to open it and change out lines/fittings/o-rings or the compressor. It can be converted and will hold a charge since the years of R-12 in the hoses have already formed a good barrier. The trick is a good/flush evacuation, pull a vacuum for over an hour and use Ester Oil. I run the ICE 32 first charge as my first can then top it off slowly with R134. The system calls for 32oz of R-12 but I have found that 19oz or less of R134 provides great 30 deg temps at the vents. Going beyhond that raised the head pressures and reduced cooling efficiency big time.
If the system is shot then replace it all and go with a parallel flow condenser. Steer clear of anything that is Tube & Fin, factory was serpentine flow which beats tube/fin but not nearly as good as parallel flow. My electric fan helps compensate for my factory condensing unit.

Lift kits, I would certainly avoid Rough Country. I have a 3.5" spring kit in front and 4" in the back with factory springs to get it leveled out. Rides like crap. Spend the money and go Skyjacker softride springs all around if you want retain use of your kidneys. Just my .02
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
Derb
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper54 View Post
Rain? I haven't seen any from the last 3 storms unless you count the brown stuff! The steering is set up very light & touchy much like earlier GM luxury vehicles. The t-stat should be 195* IIFC so operating temp. should be in that range to maybe 210*. A fan shroud will definately help @ low speed & idleing. Stock carb. should be a MC 2150 & that is what I would stick with. Good @ angles and has altitute compensation. Failing emissions is common for these vehicles but a lot of advice here and at IFSJA on what to do. Congratulations on your purchase and looking forward to pics! JimBob
Thank you for the advice! I did notice the steering was very touchy, but it also has a dead spot when turning the wheel to the left. Nothing major, I'm sure it will just take me some getting used to, but wanted to mention in case something could be done about it.

It didn't rain, but a few drops last weekend. And then yesterday it rained while I was out getting the title notarized and kept going off and on all night. Not a good rain, but it was something, lol.
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
Derb
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by super98lsc View Post
Oh and I gave 5k for mine... which was too high.
AC blew cold and was already converted to 134a, you have the same Sanden compressor as I do so if the system is holding charge/vacuum you DO NOT NEED to open it and change out lines/fittings/o-rings or the compressor. It can be converted and will hold a charge since the years of R-12 in the hoses have already formed a good barrier. The trick is a good/flush evacuation, pull a vacuum for over an hour and use Ester Oil. I run the ICE 32 first charge as my first can then top it off slowly with R134. The system calls for 32oz of R-12 but I have found that 19oz or less of R134 provides great 30 deg temps at the vents. Going beyhond that raised the head pressures and reduced cooling efficiency big time.
If the system is shot then replace it all and go with a parallel flow condenser. Steer clear of anything that is Tube & Fin, factory was serpentine flow which beats tube/fin but not nearly as good as parallel flow. My electric fan helps compensate for my factory condensing unit.

Lift kits, I would certainly avoid Rough Country. I have a 3.5" spring kit in front and 4" in the back with factory springs to get it leveled out. Rides like crap. Spend the money and go Skyjacker softride springs all around if you want retain use of your kidneys. Just my .02
Thanks for all of the great info! I'm not new to turning wrenches, but it has been years and I always had my father to turn to with the big questions. Now I get to bug you guys on those and try to relearn as I go. I am definitely looking forward to getting back into something like this.
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
Derb
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Test on uploading pics, see if this works...
dsc_0031.jpg  
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #9
Derb
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ok a few more...
dsc_0032.jpg   dsc_0034.jpg   dsc_0035.jpg   dsc_0036.jpg  
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Nice looking truck, congrats.
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
usererror
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

WOW!!! That looks AMAZING! I saw a white one for $5500 here in Michigan weeks after I bought back my 89 in brown. My lady prefers the brown, I prefer the white, but I'm just glad I have one, regardless of the color!!
usererror is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Looks really nice man small amount of work and will be really really clean! I gave too much for mine considering all I have dumped into it but was buying it from a friend to help him out. At first never planned to keep it too long. Then it grew on me and now Its my daily driver! I will say once you rebuild the steering and get it driving like it did when new its so relaxing to cruise in.
Unread 07-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
jeeper54

Man that looks sweet and I love the muscle grille! Good thing you live on the other side of the valley. I'd be drooling all over it! I've had 2 in black, 1 in orange (401!),1 white & 1 blue SJs not counting the different colored XJs. Wifes favorite was the white SJ, the first I bought her.
jeeper54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #14
Derb
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks everybody, I appreciate the compliments. I'm really excited about getting my hands dirty and getting this thing running right. I have a little bit left on my 99 Cherokee before I pass it along to my niece and then a bit on my nephews Camaro before I can get to it on the GW the way I want to.

I am moving myself and my nephew up to Pinetop AZ in a couple of months and would love to be able to make the trip in it instead of having to haul it.
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #15
Derb
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper54 View Post
Man that looks sweet and I love the muscle grille! Good thing you live on the other side of the valley. I'd be drooling all over it! I've had 2 in black, 1 in orange (401!),1 white & 1 blue SJs not counting the different colored XJs. Wifes favorite was the white SJ, the first I bought her.
The extra parts that came with this included another grill. Is the one thats on there not the original? Not that it matters, I like the one that is on it now, just curious.

I was looking at one I saw in black, seemed to be in pretty decent shape, but it sold about the first week it was posted for sale and I wasn't able to jump on it. Guy wanted $2900 and some change for it. I am more partial to black, but this thing looks good in white as well, so I'm happy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.