How heavy is the bed on a J20? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > How heavy is the bed on a J20?

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-21-2014, 03:59 AM   #1
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

How heavy is the bed on a J20?

I have a 1980 J20 that has a bed shortened by about 3'.

I want to dive into it a bit over Christmas but before I do I want to consider whether I will be able to lift the bed / tray off by myself or need a fair bit of help.

So how heavy do you think it actually is?

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
CSP

How would you be lifting it? It's too bit and bulky to be lifting it completely by manpower.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I have several choices.

My first choice would be to jack it up off the frame, support it and pull the truck out from underneath. I have plenty of timber and bamboo to hand.

My second choice is to use a chain hoist but my new garage does not have a suitable roof beam, so it would need an A-frame.

Last resort is to get a bunch of villagers round but I am not sure if that is 4 or 6 people.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
Unread 11-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
CSP

I won't hazard a guess to the actual weight, but it's definitely not heavy enough to bring a building down. I've lifted beds by putting a tie down strap in each corner with the other end of the strap connected to a roof truss/collar tie. Lift up the corner and tighten up the strap, one corner at a time until it's high enough to drive/roll the frame out from underneath. Then lower one corner at a time until it's resting on cribbing or sawhorses.
Unread 11-22-2014, 11:43 PM   #5
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

There is one teak roof beam 12" x 3" about 17 feet long across the garage (about 16' wide and 25' long) but it has a scarf joint at the mid-point (two pieces of demolition timber from a shop I knocked down) and has already settled a bit, I have used the builder for years and this would not be the first roof to come down that he has built or the first Jeep I have dug back out (but he is very cheap). The other roof timbers are.... slight shall we say. The whole garage cost $3000 including custom folding doors, bathroom and sleeping accommodation for 6 so I should not complain.

I think a frame will be needed but the straps sound simple, with multiple attachments.

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
Unread 11-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
lycanthrope

Do you have an engine hoist(cherry picker)? I pull them off and stack them with an engine hoist.
Unread 11-25-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

No picker engine hoist I am afraid. That would soak up my annual tool budget.

The previous owner of my house warned me the old garage roof was not really strong as he had skimped on the rebar (though it survived the last 6.2 quake) so I have always been reluctant to fit a chain block, the new garage is definitely not going to take one.

I may try jacking it up with a farm jack and blocks and a few helpers and then put it on saw horses and bamboo to get it above the frame and then pull the truck out from underneath.

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
Unread 11-25-2014, 11:50 PM   #8
CSP

With three other people you could just lift the bed off with manpower.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.