How Far, How Fast? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > How Far, How Fast?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

How Far, How Fast?

For those out there with stock, non-rebuilt 360s, I'm just wondering how far you guys drive on the highway at one time, and how fast you go on average? I've got an 87 with 132K miles on it, which runs well, doesn't burn oil (prefers to just leave a bit in every parking spot ). I've gotten it up to 70 MPH with no issues, but have only done this for 20-30 mins at a time max traveling locally.

Do you guys travel on highways for extended periods at this speed (like 4-5 hours, cross country driving)? I'm trying to build up the guts to drive mine to the Outer Banks, but if traveling at 70 MPH isn't really an option for 4 hours, the drive would take too long to justify taking the Jeep. And yes, I understand that as with any older vehicle, it's hard to know for sure that it won't just up and die - I'm just talking about "best case scenarios".

Appreciate any thoughts.

1987GW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
89shaggoneer

Depends if ur cooling and engine.is up to snuff, I drive 5 he's 75.80 mph no problem passing semis Audi's and escalades. These Jeeps are a dream to ride in on the interstate, a little louder than a new car inside tho
89shaggoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

It's had a cooling system flush, all bodily fluids changed, etc. and doesn't seem to run hot (based on stock temp gauge) or overheat. Guess the only way to find out it to try...thanks!
Unread 10-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Mack83
1984 J-Series Truck 

I can remember dad running the old cherokee with the 360 from Northern Mi to South East Kentucky with the speedometer needle bouncing off the peg a couple times! Never had problems with that old Jeep. She fired up a purred the day he took it to the scrap yard! Body rotted out of her, being from Michigan. Then again we are talking about the mid 90's so the jeep would have been 10 years old or so. So I would say as long as your jeep is in good mechanical condition, you shouldn't have any problems with it! Drive it like you stole it.
Mack83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

it already drinks gas fast enough, don't know if i need to drive it like I stole it ;-)
Unread 10-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
usererror
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Mine is my weekly driver to the airport and back. I drive it all over N. Michigan and to the lower part of the Mitten as well. My speedo isn't working over 50mph but on the interstate I use my phone speedo and set the cruise at 75mph. I regularly pass if needed. I have NEVER seen my stock temp guage go over the top most of the "Blue" temp area. It has gone a smidge into the white bar in the top of the blue when it was 80* outside.

I've never had an issue.

It is pretty damn funny to pass people in this beast on the highway.
usererror is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
USAFfsj
1983 FSJ Cherokee 

I've driven mine FARRRR....

I actually drove mine fully loaded, stock all the way to northern Texas from Harrisburg, PA no issue. Mine was pretty much stock and loaded with all my things for tech school for the military. I then drove it all through tech school for 9 months, and then to Little Rock, Arkansas. Then finished up driving to Indiana, back to PA. I would drive mostly 8 hour days with some breaks for gas...I mean these are 2 and a half ton pieces of metal. I was cruising around 65 or so. Every stop I would just double check all the fluids and whatnot. Make it an adventure haha. Everytime i drive it long distance it usually is. Not to mention that youll get the celebrity treatment when you make it to the outer banks. Hell, I was gonna drive mine to Florida eventually to take it on the beach.
USAFfsj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

all encouraging news - thanks!
Unread 10-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
Mack83
1984 J-Series Truck 

You know I hear alot of people say that there jeep is not that great on gas, but I dont recall ours being to bad. I did hear from a friend once that 80-84 mod year FSJ's got the best economy. I really dont know tho.
Mack83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

I don't hesitate taking my 90 down the hwy for extended trips. I do carry a toolbox though.
I have a little shimmy that floats around 65-75, but I can usually find a smooth spot. I have had it up to 90 for a couple mile, something I thought I would never do.
Watch your temp, Watch your oil pressure. These rigs were made to run at 70mph.
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
itsajeepthang86
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What am I missing? I'm about to pick up a 86 wagoneer and couldn't think of a reason not to run at highway speeds unless there ends up being a mechanical issue. I live in Wake county and can't wait for the trips to OBX for some camping and fishing.
itsajeepthang86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #12
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

I got an '82 recently with a 401 I can't afford to feed so it's being swapped out for a 4.0L (selling the running 401 for $750)

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #13
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajeepthang86 View Post
What am I missing? I'm about to pick up a 86 wagoneer and couldn't think of a reason not to run at highway speeds unless there ends up being a mechanical issue. I live in Wake county and can't wait for the trips to OBX for some camping and fishing.
I'm probably being overly cautious, but just wanting to know what others have experienced as we're not dealing with modern technology vehicles here, and just based on their age "stuff" can just happen. I have every confidence that the truck would make it the distance, but was primarily just wondering about running at speed over time. This three speed tranny just seems to really need an OD gear to really run at hwy speeds in my opinion, compared to other older cars that I've owned over time. I'm sure my worries are unfounded.
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Take mine everywhere with the family. 600mile weekends are fairly common
Take a small tool bag and there is hardly anything you can't fix. Keep red/black wire, tape, some screws and you should be good.
Most parts are available at pep boys, advance or autozone.
I do check my fluids once a week and have replaced things that may or have gone bad.
Spark plugs, cap,rotor, spark plug wires, ignition box, water pump, belts etc. I replaced my battery last week. It was from feb 2000. 13 1/2 years old.
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #15
1987GW
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

In the past year it's had new Spark plugs, cap,rotor, spark plug wires, belts, starter, starter solenoid, neutral safety switch, radiator flush, tranny fluid, 4" BDS Lift (springs shocks bushings), steering stabilizer, and new 31x10.5x15 tires. Brakes are good according to my shop. 4x4 works without issue, cruise doesn't (don't care as i don't use it anyway). I have a full tool box in the back, just in case (as well as a AAA membership ). Gonna give it a shot around Thanksgiving - my wife will follow in another vehicle just in case (have to take 2 regardless).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.