Hoping to make the best of a bad situation. (allergies) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Hoping to make the best of a bad situation. (allergies)

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 04-10-2013, 03:02 AM   #1
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hoping to make the best of a bad situation.

Took a big step closer yesterday on a slow path I've been taking toward acquiring a particular SJ.

Our local Jeep Club used to have a regular visitor at the monthly pub meets in Ben, a young guy with an '82 Chief that had been passed around the family (Dad, Uncle, Ben) that he was restoring. As I've had a few SJ's, we'd hang out and talk about what needed to be done to his rig and how best to proceed.

Then he stopped coming to the meets. Months went by, until last September, when he showed up again. Glad he did as no-one else did that evening.

Turned out the reason he'd not been coming was because he'd been in and out of hospital for months. He'd been diagnosed with, and was being treated for, Aplastic Anemia, a form of Leukemia. Which basically means your bone marrow stops making blood cells.

So we spent the evening talking about his illness, Jeeps, Harleys, and general BS'ing. The next month i tried getting in touch to see if he was coming, that's when i found out he had lost his fight against his illness a few days before.

Unfortunately i was not able to attend Ben's Funeral as my Mother In Law passed at about the same time, also from a long term illness, and we had to go to California for her funeral.

I waited a few months before trying to reach out to his family to find out what their plans were for the Chief. I finally reached his Mum on Facebook, through his page, and explained who i was and what Ben and i had talked about. Got her reply yesterday:

Quote:
i'm so glad to hear from you. The meet he turned up to was two days before he went to b arts (Hospital, UKJ) and never came home. He barely made it home that night. He kept blacking out, but refused to let my husband chauffeur him or come get him. He was so stubborn, he spoke about that evening as he said you had said about helping him. I had to cancel the order from the States, but he had been getting bits from various sources. The reason I was trying to find the Jeep Club was I had hoped to do just as you've said. Ben so wanted it finished, I couldn't bear for it to just waste away.

We called it the family heirloom as all of us had passed it around free, except for the large bills for whatever ailed it at that time. I would be grateful if you would come and look at it and discuss our options. Ben had two other projects, his Harley and his Fiesta. The Fiesta is a project his friends in the Ford club want to do, and his Harley will be going to Italy in September to a Harley meet with one of his friends. My phone no. is xxxxxxxxx or mobile xxxxxxxx. No rush but when you want to come look let me know and we can discuss the options. My main aim is for Ben's projects to be finished and loved.

Loraine
Read her answer to my Wife last night, who of course started bawling as it reminded her of her Mom passing. And she DEMANDED that i follow this through. For Ben, for Ben's Mum, (and for her Mom).

No pressure then!

I'll update the thread when i've been to see the Chief, know better what needs to be done, and whether i'll be helping them restore it, buying it or 'brokering it' to someone who can. I have said that a condition of sale to anyone else will be to restore it, and not part it or scrap it (though i have yet to see what shape the bodywork is in, my three were all FUBAR'ed by the tin worm).

ben.jpg  
ukjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 03:17 AM   #2
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

You should adopt the orphan, restore it, auction it off for research whilst just recouping what you'd need to cover the parts you purchased. I'm sure you could rally some Jeepers together for a helping hand and raffle it or auction it after sharing its background and where the money is going to.

Just an idea.
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Ill donate to that cause! I have an old Stingray I purchased for my little brother while he was in high school. Later he couldnt afford to fix/keep up with the old Vette and it sat under a cover for years and years. I bought the car back from him with a secret plan of restoring it and returning it to him as a suprise and driving on the Hot Rod Power Tour together. Sadly he lost his life at only age 30 due to a heart attack. I am just now starting to work on the car again to finish it. Guess I lost my motivation for a while but I know he would want it done.
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by super98lsc
Ill donate to that cause! I have an old Stingray I purchased for my little brother while he was in high school. Later he couldnt afford to fix/keep up with the old Vette and it sat under a cover for years and years. I bought the car back from him with a secret plan of restoring it and returning it to him as a suprise and driving on the Hot Rod Power Tour together. Sadly he lost his life at only age 30 due to a heart attack. I am just now starting to work on the car again to finish it. Guess I lost my motivation for a while but I know he would want it done.
A heart attack at 30?!
That is wild, Super. That's so young :0

I am sure it will be cool to see the corvette have a second chance.
Unread 04-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Saul32
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quite the story. I hope you can find someone in the UK to help you restores Bens Cherokee. Keep us posted and bmp let us know how we may be able to help as well.
Unread 04-11-2013, 02:13 AM   #6
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by super98lsc View Post
Sadly he lost his life at only age 30 due to a heart attack.
Lost my Sister when she was 25. Know where you're coming from.
Unread 04-11-2013, 02:15 AM   #7
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks all. I'll know more when i go and see the Chief.
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Been out to meet Tony and Loraine (Ben's Parents), looked over the Chief, and had a long talk with them about what the future holds. The result of this is that they have now given me Ben's Jeep (AKA "Freddie").

Quite a bit to be done, first of which, and most important is to repair the roof. It has several rust holes that will need to be cut out and patched ('filler' is not an option). The roof bars and strips are not on the Jeep, and the area's around the bolt holes are quite well rusted. Also the edges of the roof above the drivers and passenger door, along with a small area at the front over the windshield are dissolved.

However... All of the bodywork below the gutters and down, is pristine. The fenders, wheel arches (inside and out), door frames, tailgate, and floor pans are perfect. No visible damage. Underbody still has good underseal, the fuel and brake lines show no corrosion, frame is good (except a bit of surface rust at the front frame horns). Chrome bumpers have no peeling or bubbling. Weather strips around glass is good. Rear window goes down, AND UP without tilting (though i didn't go all the way down). Rubber strips along bottom of drivers, rear, passenger windows is perished though. No visible bubbling around tailgate hinges, but didn't get chance to check hinge "stickiness" as we didn't move the Jeep from out of the garage (no battery).

As there wasn't a battery we didn't get a chance to fire it up, but the history of the engine is that it was basically rebuilt a few years back after a shop screwed up a rebore. There's Edelbrock parts bolted on (valve covers, air filter and probably carb. Two barrel).

Looked though the 'new parts' box. There were two of the window bases (that the windows sit in), but no guides, a fuel guage sender unit, and new (square) headlights. Looks like he was planning on going HID as well.

Must have been a 'base model' perhaps all three windows are hand cranked, not electric (rear window handle chrome is also good). Drivers seat fabric is split, but he has a pair of Recaros to go in there.

No pics unfortunately (yet) as the garage has about 18" on one side, and 12" on the other (UK garage size!), so not enough room. Once i find a body shop willing to take on the work, and drag it outdoors, i'll get the camera.
Unread 04-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #9
88wood

Good luck with the new project. I am sure that his family appreciates all that your doing to rehab the Jeep. I will be following your thread to see the progress. Good luck.
88wood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Went back today to take pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ukjeepe...7633258586275/

There's a hole in the top of the left front fender that i didn't notice the first visit, as well as a small hole in the base of the wing. However neither hole has gotten into the seams/joins, so should be easy to fix...

Also tried to start it. Unsuccessfully. Something clicks under the hood, but it's not the solenoid . Not enough time to troubleshoot. Ben's Mum is on crutches, but came to the garage to unlock it, and was standing there while i poked around.
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #11
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Updates:

Someone swooped in and made a cash offer on an Ebay Golden Eagle SJ , 5 hours before the auction finished. Was going to use the roof and left front fender to repair the Chief (was of the GE was toast).

However, the seller has given my email address to the buyer. They only want the engine, so bodywork is still possible.

Also, have another roof being offered (from a '78 Cherokee 4 door). Have a 500 round trip road trip to to get it though.

Going up over the weekend to help Ben's Mom dig out all of the paperwork and misc parts and maybe work on the Jeep.

Going up again next week with the Jeep mechanic mate to get it started if i fail at the weekend.

And finally, moving it to another friends place, much nearer to me (big barn, with electricity). Just have to find a car transporter. (selling my Cherokee at the weekend, hopefully, so i won't have a hauler for the trailer i normally use).

No big updates, just FYI.

Tim.
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Awesome, sad, but awesome story. Glad Freddie is going to someone who knows its background, and will respect the project. Good luck Tim.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.