Hoping this is a good deal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Hoping this is a good deal

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hoping this is a good deal

Me and my wife are going tomorrow to pick this up, it is a 1976 jeep j10, 99% rust free, the one percent they fixed though he said it is noticable, only has 80k original miles and everything works on it except for the radio and mybe the gas gauge. also talked him down to an even 2k. So I am going off the pics and talking to the guy, he is selling for the owner who is 81, says he has 9 vehicles and is just trying to liquidate some of his assets.

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/2933613805.html

Another thing im wondering is do you think i will have problems with the 3 hour drive back, mainly highway, he says it runs fine so im hoping not

Let me know what ya think.

1993 YJ 4" RE lift, 1/2" shackles, AA SYE Kit, 33x12.50 Trxus M/T, Warn bumbers front and rear, Warn M8000 winch, 4 Hella fog lights, Magnaflow cat, flowmaster muffler with no tailpipe, herced tub, tj flares

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

My Rigrator score 535RRv1.0 BOA 25
93jeepREDSOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

that looks really nice. if it runs good, that's an awesome deal.

I'd make sure to check the fluids (axles, too) and drive it home. I was worried about the 1200 mile trip down here, but mine had NO problems.
Unread 05-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just make sure someone follows you home.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well fun story about this truck, we went and picked it up, so first problem guy tells me there is only like 4-5 gals of gas in it, so went to fill it up and ot leaks, there is a crack at the top and we were over filling it. So we go back he looks at it, fives me a 5gal gas can, a funnel, and $120 back. Next windshield superstitious don't work, and it started raining stuck for a couple hours went to start it and the starter went crazy and that lead to killing the battery. So at this point we just kinda want our money back, he says no, its sold as is. So he comes puts a new starter and a new battery. This journey started at 6am, when I woke up, its almost midnight and my wife is finishing the drive and the j10 is about 50 miles behind us at a gas station for the night. Hopefully I can work on it and get her running right and working properly.
1993 YJ 4" RE lift, 1/2" shackles, AA SYE Kit, 33x12.50 Trxus M/T, Warn bumbers front and rear, Warn M8000 winch, 4 Hella fog lights, Magnaflow cat, flowmaster muffler with no tailpipe, herced tub, tj flares

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

Unread 05-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, so I finally got the truck home, after the radiator blew and towing it the rest of the way.

It does run but then I noticed oil was leaking/spraying under the truck, take a look and it was pouring from the filter, Mr genius mechanic I guess didn't tighten the oil filter, so immediately shut it off.

So as it sits it needs an oil change (done correctly), a new radiator, wiper motor, new gasket where the manifold meets the exhaust pipe, possible just new headers all together, at the least a carb rebuild but I'm leaning towards just getting an edlebrock carb since I have heard nothing but good things. Also a new gas tank since this one has a crack at the top and all new gauges cause none of them work.

So any suggestions of where to get some of these parts and tips for install would be great, this is my first carbed jeep, my first jeep is a 93 wrangler so I am new to the old full sized jeeps.

Thanks

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

Unread 05-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here are a couple pics of the j10, with a little love it will be a good truck i think.

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

Unread 05-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
megajeep
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Wow, that looks really nice. Congrats
megajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Awesome, looks super clean!

Alot of parts are available from BJ's offroad. Also junkyards and classifieds on FSJ specific sites are a great way to find parts as well. Sounds like just a few minor things, and you'll have an awesome truck.

P.S. alot of people hate on Edelbrock carbs, but also alot of people prefer them over others, say, holley. I have an edelbrock Performer 1406 (600cfm) on mt 360 in my jeep and its been great. super easy to tune and rebuilt, tons of support and parts availability.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yea this is going to be a slow build, when we bought it i thought it was going to be more road ready, but now its gonna be a project for me, so im pretty excited.

That what one of my first questions was gonna be, were to get older jeep parts, so that is helpful, not i get to create a wishlist, haha.

I have heard really good things from Edelbrock, and this is my first carbed vehicle, so i like that they are easy to tune and rebuild.

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

Unread 05-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #10
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

We are the only company around that specialized in Full-Size Jeep Parts:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/

We don't carry Chevy parts or XJ parts or YJ parts, etc. On our website it is 100% full-size Jeep Parts.

Thanks!
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
USAFfsj
1983 FSJ Cherokee 

this oddly feels like my grand national when i picked it up at a dealership. blew the radiator, over heated, pushrod hit the piston. after a top end rebuild and a redone radiator, it still is broke. but the jeep will be wayyyy cheaper to do. work on these are pretty straight forward. The truck looks amazing though, youll have a blast with it. im kinda jealous haha. good luck, and obviously support is on here.
USAFfsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yea blew the radiator and some how the oils filter, not sure how that happened. The top that screws into the engine broke and the rest came off, there was still oil in the engine when we cut it off so hopefully nothing happened to it.

Yea it is pretty clean and I have been on this forum a while just in the yj section, so I'm sure the same help is here too.

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

Unread 05-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #13
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So I have a couple questions

Are these trucks all time 4 wheel drive, cause I'm not seeing a shifter to put it in 2wd.

Also I'm pretty sure it has locking hubs but the po put regular caps on the end of the axle, trying to get them off to make sure but just checking to see that was something they came with?

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

Unread 05-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

It may be quadratrac, which is full time 4wd.

I'm not positive on what years it was available, but I know it was around in the.mid 70's. If you had part time there would be a shifter on the floor.

Check inside the glove box for a little knob that says emergency drive. That would be your 4wd lock switch.

Sorry I don't know a whole lot about the later 70's rigs.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #15
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The guy did show me the switch in the glove box, so I guess it is a quadratrac, so hopefully when I unlock the hubs it will drive and turn better.

Thanks for the input, you may not know much but its more than me at this point, haha

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.