Hood light and what shuts it off? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Hood light and what shuts it off?

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGR8TOPS HD TJ Replacement Hinges

Unread 07-15-2015, 12:27 AM   #1
HowlingSpear
1980 FSJ Cherokee 

Hood light and what shuts it off?

I'm thinking of wiring some high intensity LED strips under the hood instead of the hood light. But, what is the mechanism that shuts off the hood light? I totally see myself trying this and then seeing these lights never turn off.
The light bulb housing is very simple, a metal half dome fastened to the hood with two 5/16" screws. The wire that comes off the hood light is just the hot lead with a snap-together clip from the bulb wire to the wire going into the snake at the firewall. I was thinking to unhook this coupler and just tie my new hot leads to the flat connector inside, then take the negative leads and fasten them to the screw on the right side holding the bulb assembly. When testing this, the LEDs do work just fine. But how will they shut off?

HowlingSpear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2015, 01:37 AM   #2
j10jim
1980 J-Series Truck 

there is a mercury switch that turns it off when you close the hood.
j10jim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2015, 02:08 AM   #3
HowlingSpear
1980 FSJ Cherokee 

Well I decided to look into it a little further, and I took the whole light bulb assembly off. The lead connecting to the switch in the light socket was about to break off, and sure enough with a little movement it broke off. I was able to disassemble the switch by pulling a small metal C-ring off the bottom of the socket then pushing the socket up and out of the housing. A coiled spring like piece of metal then slides off the plastic socket to reveal two halves of the plastic holding the insides together. What is inside the switch is actually a sliding weight that doubles as the connection with the tip of the light bulb. The insides of the plastic are molded to accomodate the sliding piece and the metal tip held in place that is crimped to the lead that clips a few inches down the line. A quite simple and ingenious contraption that looks like it wouldn't last.

I put it all back together, ensuring that when the two halves were back in place that the sliding weight did indeed move as it did before I took it apart. I think the only way I could do this and have it work is if I solder the hot leads of the two LED strips to the end of the bulb in such a way that it fits in the socket. That way I'm getting the gravity sliding weight switch to turn it on and off.
Unread 07-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #4
HowlingSpear
1980 FSJ Cherokee 

It was a success! I'll post pics after I get them off my phone. I ended up taking everything apart again so I have pics of the light assembly as I described.
Unread 07-15-2015, 07:48 PM   #5
j10jim
1980 J-Series Truck 

Cool. Looking forward to them.
Unread 07-15-2015, 08:47 PM   #6
HowlingSpear
1980 FSJ Cherokee 

Here are some pics, not the best. The last one is with the hood open enough to activate the switch, which I think is actually a mercury switch as stated before by j10jim, inside that bullet-looking bulb that makes the connection with the light bulb.
mercuryswitch.jpg

hoodlightassembled.jpg

hoodlightdisassembled.jpg

hooddownnolight.jpg

hoodup.jpg

Unread 07-16-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
j10jim
1980 J-Series Truck 

Lights look good and bright.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.